Best case for 55 shipped

brahim

Limp Gawd
ii just sold my comp. and seems like im gonna be on a really tight budget ! 55 shipped or 60 shipped please respones asapa

Cooler Master 690

55208.jpg

Thats easy, get a CM Centurion 5. (one of the few good things CM makes)

The 690 has terrible cooling.
(the sideways Hdds totally make the front fan worthless)

With the ability to have another 6 fans even if that front one weren't cooling the HDD's I don't think you would have anything to worry about, and in the age of the 8800's all cases should have sideways drive cages

Unless you are into modding, I agree. The Cooler Master 690 needs a little "work" to make it a "good" flowing case. It can easily be done if you don't mind investing an hour of your time. I would drill out the rivets for the HDD Rack. If you wanted to keep the HDD rack, then I would dremel the rack completely in two making sure that when its reinstalled, the HDD rack does NOT interfere with the airflow of the front 120mm intake fan. Also, its my preference, but I am not a fan of the honeycomb covering on the rear 120mm exhaust fan. Again, I just dremel that out for a cleaner, free'r flowing exhaust area.

I own 3 Cooler Master Centurion 5 cases and the only draw back is the accumulation of dust on the black mesh face (especially around the front intake fan). But the flip side means the case is sucking in lots of fresh air and doing its job. The HDD rack on the Centurion 5 is adequate as you can mount the HDD(s) in the top HDD slots allowing fresh air to be blown into the case, unobstructed.

BTW, a little unrelated but while we are on the topic of Cooler Master, what gives with this price? ...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119135

cant you read? it says space age. those words alone should be worth $1000. At this price, it's a steal.

I don't think you can find a 690 for $60 shipped anymore.. more like $76 unless they come back with a promotional rebate like they did a few weeks ago.
So, I would like to say the Centurion 5. Not a bad case, with no weak points; but it could definitely be more cable-management-friendlier.

BTW, a little unrelated but while we are on the topic of Cooler Master, what gives with this price? ...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119135

aww, not that again; Custom paintjob by Smooth Creations, you're basically paying for labor + collector's exclusivity. Every time we discuss those hella expensive cases the thread eventualy gets locked. lol

Anyway, yeah I just bought a Cent 5 about a month or so ago for $50 flat. Great case when I'm not having to wipe dust off the front mesh panel. Then again I'd rather clean it off the front than the inside (which is deliciously dust free).

aww, not that again; Custom paintjob by Smooth Creations, you're basically paying for labor + collector's exclusivity. Every time we discuss those hella expensive cases the thread eventualy gets locked. lol

Anyway, yeah I just bought a Cent 5 about a month or so ago for $50 flat. Great case when I'm not having to wipe dust off the front mesh panel. Then again I'd rather clean it off the front than the inside (which is deliciously dust free).

that case is 65 shipped guys im broke as a joke and got 60 in the bank for a case i was thinking http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103009 that case buuut its out of stock and i wanna buy my stuff all at once ! soo i think im going to be going with the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811119115 they took off free shipping last night >.< let me know what u think

Go shop at zipzoomfly.com. The free shipping they offer will allow you to have more choices of decent cases in that price range.

Brahim: ur second case is just like the Centurion (hdds front to back=good)

The First one is JUNK. Try to get away from side mounted fans.

Remember.. Everyone is giving you good advise. If you really LIKE the case (just like my Thermaltake Shark case, which had a sideways HDD rack), usually 4 rivets hold that thing in.. Easily remedied like I did:

BEFORE:

StockShark-side.jpg

AFTER:

DSCN8527.jpg

LOL, what a waste of a bunch of good advice:eek:

PS: officermartinez, nice job

Whats wrong with the case that im going to get ?

All i have to do is mod the case just martinz did...i Hate the looks of the centrium 5 sooo im sticking with the 530 and going to buy an extra 120mm fan for the rear exhaust

Whats wrong with the case that im going to get ?

All i have to do is mod the case just martinz did...i Hate the looks of the centrium 5 sooo im sticking with the 530 and going to buy an extra 120mm fan for the rear exhaust

Im sorry, I didnt mean to sound like such a ahole. Ur right if you remove the Hdd rack its fine.

Case choice is a hard thing to help with as everyone has a style they like. The perforated front of the CM cases add a LOT to good airflow.

Thanks for the compliments.. My wife uses that case now and I am VERY happy with the airflow.. It's pretty straight forward if you intend to remove the rivets.. Each rivet took me roughly 8-10 seconds to drill out..

DSCN8520.jpg

And here's the same case on zzf for $60 shipped

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=141778

coulda saved 6 dollors, plus a $20 MIR.

Yeah i saw that but im just sick of waiting =( ive made three builds from newegg and sold them so that i could get my final build which costed me 885 final !!! i went from 300 to basically 900 with just selling off craigs list =) Anyways i bought it from neweegg cause its 3 day shipping and it'll come at the same time as my other pieces ! Thanks for the recommendation i showed a fried hte site and he almost popped a boner lol " ShIipping free????:

Thanks for the compliments.. My wife uses that case now and I am VERY happy with the airflow.. It's pretty straight forward if you intend to remove the rivets.. Each rivet took me roughly 8-10 seconds to drill out..

DSCN8520.jpg

could you be more specific with how u modded it ? Could i just disattach the hard drive mount and make to front to make like the centrom 5 ? might take some cutting but i think it'll work

looks aesome inside there too =)

How did u guys install the HDs once u took out the HD racks?

Thats easy, get a CM Centurion 5. (one of the few good things CM makes)

The 690 has terrible cooling.
(the sideways Hdds totally make the front fan worthless)
Sould I assume you speak from out your ass, or experience?

My CM690 has great cooling. Most of the newer, and prized, cases have horizontal HDDs. The above modded case would do better if it was drawing in fresh air and not just recirc'ing interior air, like it seems to be.

-bZj

Sould I assume you speak from out your ass, or experience?

My CM690 has great cooling. Most of the newer, and prized, cases have horizontal HDDs. The above modded case would do better if it was drawing in fresh air and not just recirc'ing interior air, like it seems to be.

-bZj

I agree, that guy seems uneducated on the matter. 1. there are 2 places for side fans. 2. the stock fans push like 30cfm and have crap for static pressure. 3. the front fan is meant for hdd cooling strictly, and it does a damn good job (I'd know I have 4 hdd's).

...but in case anyone else is looking for a low-dough case, but doesn't need a front panel firewire plug.

This thing's $45 shipped to my house and has a $10 MIR

I got one elsewhere a month ago, popped a 12cm fan I had lying around in the front and it keeps everything I got cool quietly.

1 DVD burner, 1 SATA HDD, DFI Lanparty Ultra, A64 3500 and a 7600gt.

Had to cut a little notch out of the rear fan to fit my audio module, however:
1445931588_79d58b6f67.jpg

Its like DeJaVu all over again, we discuse this topic every other day. There needs to be a sticky or something, "Best case for ~$50!"

The Best Case for ~$50 is the Centurion 5, the best case for less than $75 is the Centurion 5, you have to spend almost $100 in order to get a case with these features and this quality, except for some of the other Centurion cases.

lol I'd have to buy 2 of those and at like $16+ shipping each not a great deal for me. Anyone know where I could find some good 3.5 to 5.25 converters?

Edit: found some from bestbyte dirt cheap, ironicly I cant see those fancy ones doing too much since increasing airflow would pay off more than metal being pressed against it I think. Plus rubber washers will do good enough job I think. Thanks for the ideas guys I'm going to be pulling out the 3.5 drive out of my 690. How difficult is it? does it screw out or am I going to have to saw/file/ dremel it?

Back