BEST CHIPSET for core duo 2? P965 or I975X

zenmaster

Limp Gawd
P965 has a newer ICH8 southbridge, 975X is based on previous gen ICH7,

any other differences between the two?

why would I want a 975X option instead of P965 for conroe ?

:confused:

The I975X chipset is marginally faster from the benchmarks i've seen although the P965 chipset is newer and has the new ICH8 southbridge which probably leads to better disk performance. Dont forget about the new nVidia and ATI chipset offerings that will be available as well and should prove to be very competitive. I'm especially keeping my eye on the new ATI chipset that will be coming.

975x offers Crossfire and SLI options, 965s are just one card MBs.

I think the nVidia chipset should be nice. I was just reading a review of it actually. Either way, it will be nice to have other options than Intel's chipsets.

sounds from everything I am reading around the internet that the ati and Nvidia chipset Mboards are going to be a couple of months later than the conroe release.

zeekle said:
sounds from everything I am reading around the internet that the ati and Nvidia chipset Mboards are going to be a couple of months later than the conroe release.

I would think that the nVidia chipset should be out before very long since nVidia has already been sending out reference boards to reviewers. But i agree that the ATI chipset is likely a ways away.

i might be goin RD600 (Xpress 3200). a lot of good things rumored about it, but they're all rumors. yea, i965 doesn't "officially" support dual graphic cards and i975 does.

Last I saw ICH8 with 965 also lacks any PATA, which means motherboard makers are hacking in some other PATA controller or you'll have to buy a $100+ plextor sata dvd burner to install windows.....

Menelmarar said:
Last I saw ICH8 with 965 also lacks any PATA, which means motherboard makers are hacking in some other PATA controller or you'll have to buy a $100+ plextor sata dvd burner to install windows.....

Go Asus website and look at the P5B Delux board with 965 chipset. It has 1 pata CONTROLLER to connect 2 devices.

dborden said:
Go Asus website and look at the P5B Delux board with 965 chipset. It has 1 pata CONTROLLER to connect 2 devices.

I think the point was that 965 and ICH8 doesn't offer a native PATA controller. Asus had to add it on after the fact, kind of like what board manufacturers have been doing with SI chips to add additional SATA ports and raid functions.

Menelmarar said:
which means motherboard makers are hacking in some other PATA controller .....
LMAO... hacking in. That's good. :rolleyes: It's not too different than a graphics chip, SATA controller, Audio chip, etc. It's something that is VERY old tech and slow. Doesn't really make a difference if it's on the ICH or external. Get over it... IDE is dead.

Poncho said:
LMAO... hacking in. That's good. :rolleyes: It's not too different than a graphics chip, SATA controller, Audio chip, etc. It's something that is VERY old tech and slow. Doesn't really make a difference if it's on the ICH or external. Get over it... IDE is dead.
For HDDs, sure, but SATA optical drives are both rare and obscenely expensive.

Rishi M. said:
For HDDs, sure, but SATA optical drives are both rare and obscenely expensive.

The only reason that SATA Opticals are expensive is because there are only a few companies that make them... and they are the "expensive" ones ie. Plextor. Lite on and the others will get around to it. But beyond that... it really doesn't matter because there is NO difference between PATA through the ICH and an external chip.

Poncho said:
The only reason that SATA Opticals are expensive is because there are only a few companies that make them... and they are the "expensive" ones ie. Plextor. Lite on and the others will get around to it. But beyond that... it really doesn't matter because there is NO difference between PATA through the ICH and an external chip.

hopefully intel dropping IDE support will start bringing more SATA optical drives

I don't understand why they dropped pata but left serial, parallel, floppy and other lame legacy devices. (ps\2)

Bigjohns97 said:
I don't understand why they dropped pata but left serial, parallel, floppy and other lame legacy devices. (ps\2)

Agreed. Drop all of those, except MAYBE PS/2.

Where did you find the nForce5 intel motherboard reviews?

Any idea of when they will be released, specifically when the ASUS nForce5 Intel board will be released?

Bigjohns97 said:

Well... Serial and floppy still have their uses, ps/2 and parallel.... they still have a market, albeit a small one.

Poncho said:
Chill...I call it a hack job because I imagine they are like the Promise/Highpoint controllers alot of the taiwanese like to use and Windows XP can't use them without loading a floppy driver disk when booting into Windows setup. So you take out one legacy device only to substitute in the requirement for another.

Notice the motherboard in my sig... Free from Serial, PS/2, and parrallel most of the legacy stuff. I'm all for removing the legacy stuff, but only when it isn't a pain.

What also gets under my skin is that we only have one manufacturer with SATA optical drives and they are bloody expensive. Maybe this wil drive the others into the market?

Bigjohns97 said:
Serial is still used to interface to console ports even in brand new networking gear and will be for along time to come most likely.

Parallel is still used for alot of hardlock, dongles for professional CAD tools.

Floppy is still needed for Windows XP to load drivers at setup level as I mentioned above with additional IDE channels.

when will the new ati and nvidia chip set boards come out? i want to get a decent board in the future but am too scared to select one of the first conroe supported boards. i like variety.

also. if they are killing IDE how willl my cd drives work?

ECS has a RS600 (based upon the RD600 northbridge) board for Conroe coming out around launch. It's mATX though if I recall correctly. It does use the SB600 southbridge though, which is nice.

Bigjohns97 said:

All the cisco routers I've used require a serial cable to configure them. And you'll still see a lot of PS/2 mouses/keyboards for people who simply don't need/want a top of the line input device.

Another option is to use one of those PATA-->SATA bridge devices for your DVD drives. They only cost like $15.

Concerning PATA & SATA Optical Drives, has anyone had a problem installing Windows XP on a SATA Optical Drive? Thanks

I have a feeling that Intel's refresh of the D975XBX motherboard (D975XBX2) will have the ICH8 Southbridge. Time will tell...

mike_j_johnson said:
I have a feeling that Intel's refresh of the D975XBX motherboard (D975XBX2) will have the ICH8 Southbridge. Time will tell...

I would think that likely too.

However, that board is quite a ways away. :(

Back