best compound for proc

bazylik

[H]ard|Gawd
i'm not sure if this question belongs here but since i have AMD processor i'll just post it here.
i just got X2 proc but no compound was provided with it, so my question is what would be the best compound to put between processor and a heatsink....would be some kind of silicon or maybe a specific brand that makes good stuff or something...
thanks

arcitc silver 5 is the best compound you can buy on the market. it's something like 99.9 percent silver which is highly thermal conductive I use it on everything I have

Arctic Silver for sure. But for me it's a toss up between 5 and Ceramique. 5 is slightly better, but it is also slightly conductive. Ceramique is completely non conductive, so it's safer.

Arctic Silver5 is my favorite, but it is a PAIN IN THE ASS when it comes to installation/removal. Make sure that if you decide to take your heatsink off that you heat it up with a hairdryer to loosen up the goo or else you will be taking out your heatsink and cpu at the same time :p . As long as no pins get bent, no harm is done to the cpu though, it is just a nerve-wracking event.

but doesn't ceramique permanently harden so it can't be removed?

I just got some AS5, but my XP-90 came with its own.. Im going to use the AS5, but I'm just wondering how good is Thermalrite's compound?

If you bought a A64 retail, there should be a thermal pad on the heatsink. You may or may not want to remove it and use a paste-type compound -- I originally installed mine with the thermal pad while I waited for my new heatsink to arrive (Zalman CNPS-7000B) and when I removed it to put the new one on, the seal was so strong that the CPU came out with the heatsink. No harm done though, chip is running nice and stable with a good OC :)

retardedchicken said:
Arctic Silver5 is my favorite, but it is a PAIN IN THE ASS when it comes to installation/removal. Make sure that if you decide to take your heatsink off that you heat it up with a hairdryer to loosen up the goo or else you will be taking out your heatsink and cpu at the same time :p . As long as no pins get bent, no harm is done to the cpu though, it is just a nerve-wracking event.

vocab said:
xp 90, 90c and 120 are excellent heatsinks

This happened to me actually with a brand new 3500+ venice. I had spread out the AC thinly with a razor blade and had attached the XP-90c but was getting piss poor tempuratures according to eVGA MB readings. Pulled it off and the damn thing was attached to the XP-90c...bent 4 pins so I carefully tried to put them back in place using a tiny screw driver. Fortunately I was able to fix it but I reinstalled using the AS5 site method and my temps are still extremely poor. I'm getting 46c idle, my 2500-Mobile was 39c idle overclocked 900mhz using a thermaltake volcano 12. Also my XP-90c came to me with a few smashed grills and the bottom seemed scratched (more so now because I'ved had to reinstall it) there is actually a ring of gouged out material where it pressed up around the CPU core. I'm starting to think these XP-90 coolers are not all they've been hyped up to be and am regretting the purchase honestly. I wonder if the stock HS would have been better. The XP-90 doesn't seem secure either, like at any second it seems like it could just pop off the HS or the wires that hold the fan could pop off.

Back