Best CPU for video encoding?

well the best cpu err i mean cpu's for encoding would be a 4800+ X2 assuming the encoding software you use supports multi processors

FreshPrinceOfBellAir said:
I didn't think the FX 57 would own the P4 so much. I thought the high FSB would be a benifit in this type of application.

Is the X2 as much of a stud?

It depends on what software you are using to do the encoding. Some are optimized really well for Athlon systems while others are optimized for P4 systems.

So what CPU would you get?

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 1GHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 1GHz FSB 2 x 512KB L2 Cache

They are basically the same price.

I would go with the above suggested FX57 or X2 4800 but the budget is more likely to favor one of these two CPUs

ellover009 said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050603/stresstest-07.html
intel is better for encoding on divx. Everything else AMD blows it outta the water.
After the whole artice if ur developer lean to intel, if ur gamer lean to AMD.

As I previously said, it depends on the software you are using to encode, not the codec. Some programs are optimized for Intel while others are optimized for AMD. If you pick the correct software, you get about the same performance on either one.

Personally, I would go for the X2. If software is multi-threaded, it will help out a lot more than the single core faster CPU. Even if it's not multi-threaded, the multitasking capabilities of the CPU will allow you to do other things on the system. Or in some cases, you may be able to run two instances and encode two seperate files at the same time if the rest of your hardware is up to the task (enough RAM and probably two physical hard drives to write to).

Thanks for the execellent posts :D

It appears from the second Toms Hardware article that the larger cache on the X2 had little effect on the results. Speed was more effective.

What apps are you going to use? Are we talking DVD Shrink here or Premiere Elements?

I don't know if it is or not, but if any of those are also optimized for x64, and you've got XP Pro x64 running, I'd also expect it to even further pwn Intel, since their EM64T is a little anemic

edit: and the X2 3800+ is bargain priced for the performance, too

im using a 3800+ right now its pretty dang fast for the price, im running it 2.5ghz per core which is a pretty decent performance gain

Back