best DSLR < $600 with lens

KnishofDeath

[H]ard|Gawd
I am going to be buying this from Amazon.com in a couple weeks and I am just not sure what to get.

Ive been looking at the D40, D60, XS, and the older 10.1mp XTi. But I am really not sure what to get or if there is something different I should be looking at. I like both the Nikons and the Canons but the Nikons feel a tad small in my hand. What do you guys suggest? I also looked at the Xsi but couldnt find one under 600. Thanx for all your help.

all the cameras you mentioned are of the same size (no more then 2-4mm difference in either direction. so the chances are if D40 seems small, so will the rest of the cameras).

that being said, from the cameras you've listed, i'd go with the Canon XSi, which you can get for $600 from Amazon with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens. or the Nikon D60 which is around $500 on Amazon. however, the one thing that irks me about the D60 is the lack of the focus motor. basically what this means is, you will only be able to get auto focus with AF-S type lenses, which can cost an arm and a leg. in this case, i'd save up $100 more, and go with the D80 (which i speculate to go down in price again in few weeks). D80 is not only bigger in size (which is something you might like, considering its about 5-10mm larger in each direction compared to the other cameras), but is overall a better camera compared to the D60 (personal opinion).

another thing, are you getting a DSLR to have a fancy P&S camera? or are you actually thinking about photography as a hobby, and will invest in your gear in the future?

i would also suggest looking at the camera prices here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com unless you are bounded to Amazon by some means you haven't specified (gift cards, coupons etc.)

If you can spare $634.95, then I'd get an XSi. If not a D60 for $519 would be your next choice.

What are you using this for, want to use it for?

EDIT: What about saving up for a larger body, like a D90 in Nikon or a 40D/50D in Canon? Is there a reason you have to get it this soon?

I'd probably go Nikon, to be honest. The low-end Canon DSLRs generally seem very low quality in terms of build, whereas the Nikons are sturdier, in my experience. Actual photo quality is generally irrelevant because it's pretty much the same from the lowest-end all the way up to the medium-high-end. Sure, there's plenty of difference in lab tests, but in real-world tests of either browser-resolution or normal-sized prints, you can't really tell the quality difference between ANY two DSLRs made in the last several years. Not without a magnifying glass, anyway...

Things like ergonomics are more important, then. The lowest-end Canons tend to be very, uhm, "compactesque," in a way. Ie, you have to actually rummage through some menu system to change stuff, as opposed to having a dedicated button on the body. I've never used the D40, though, so I don't know about that one, but I'm sure you can find a cheap D70 on Ebay by now. That one has everything you need, pretty much.

That's just based on how it feels, though -- I've never actually dropped a camera in my entire life, so I don't know if they are actually sturdier.

Have you thought about possibly getting something used? Try the POTN forum or Nikonians forum. I picked up my used Canon 20D for $400 and a used Tamron 24-135mm Macro for $190 from the POTN forum. With the new D90 Nikons and 50D Canons coming out recently most of the generation or two old bodies are going for dirt cheap (see Nikon D50 and Canon 30D/20D).

Ok well first, let me say thanx for all the replies. As far as using amazon is concerned, I have a $75 gift card for it, but do not NEED to use it. They happened to have the cheapest prices I had seen so far. If I could get something better, for cheaper somewhere else I'd def consider it. I am open to used and will check that avenue out as well. As far as the size concerned, I am aware spec wise the canons and nikons are the same size, but for some reason the way the nikon is designed makes it feel MUCH smaller in my hand. Not sure why. I have used an Xti before and my father has a D40x so I have some experience with both cameras. Anyways I would still like to stay under 600, with or without using the giftcard. As far as what I plan to use it for, I did some semi serious 35mm photography in high school and enjoyed it very much. I havent done it since but would def at least do it a tad on the side once I got my new camera. Other than that I would use it for Point and Shoot type stuff, but really dislike the quality that comes from typical point and shoot digital cameras.

Having only limited experience with both, I prefer the D40 to the D60. You can get a D40 with 2 kit lenses for $500-$600 or 1 lens for ~$450. I'd prefer to save some money and get better lenses, or upgrade to something bigger later.

If you want something a bit more rugged the Pentax K200D may be of interest, or the K2000.

I'd much rather have a D40 with the 18-55mm lens and a 55-200mm VR lens than a D60. I'd prefer the 18-55mm with VR but I don't think the kit comes with that.

I am going to be buying this from Amazon.com in a couple weeks and I am just not sure what to get.

Ive been looking at the D40, D60, XS, and the older 10.1mp XTi. But I am really not sure what to get or if there is something different I should be looking at. I like both the Nikons and the Canons but the Nikons feel a tad small in my hand. What do you guys suggest? I also looked at the Xsi but couldnt find one under 600. Thanx for all your help.

I would recommend looking at nikon. You should probably go for the d40 which can be had for under $600.

If you want a SLR, I'd go with Nikon for the entry level stuff. Better build quality and usability all around for those models in the Nikon world. I find shooting with a Canon SLR a little more cumbersome than on my Nikon D70 or D300.

Then I'd save up for the 18-200mm.

Then I'd save up for the 18-200mm.

I would love one of those, except it's as expensive as a D80 body.

You may also want to consider some of the higher end point and shoots, like the canon sd880.

edit: sense making

I would love one of those, except it's as as a D80 body.

You may also want to consider some of the higher end point and shoots, like the canon sd880.

yeah, if i was to stay with the DX i'd probably end up picking it myself, but as it is... i'm dipping my money in FX lenses (still have to get the FX body, though). for now, my D80 is still producing some incredible images for me, but i'll be ready with my credit card when the next Dx00 with FX sensor rolls out. :p

I would look at the lens line up before deciding which one you want. Nikon lens is generally more expensive than the Canon ones. Canon has a huge lens line up. Canon bodies cheaply made?? Go get yourself an used 30D for under $500 at www.keh.com or www.adorama.com Everything on a Nikon body is the completely opposite to Canon. The zoom ring rotation direction to the rotation of the lens mounting bracket.

If you think that the entry level Nikons/Canons feel small in your hand then you are probably better off (and more comfortable) stepping up to the mid-level D50 Nikon or 30D Canon. I am a Canon fan only because that is what my family has used for a very long time, plus my father has a number of EOS lenses from his Rebel 35mm body so I can swap with him when we are out. However, I have heard that a lot of people have gone with the smaller XT/XTi/XS/XSi series Canons and just added a grip and the feel is a great improvement. Really it boils down to what is most comfortable in your hands, what is easier for YOU to navigate through and what fits your bill.

For me this was a used Canon 20D with a Tamron 24-135mm Macro lens. I love the setup as it gives me the versatility I need.
Here is a used 20D with everything (no lens) for $360 shipped on the POTN forums which is not a bad deal. For another $170 you can pick up one of the new Canon 18-55mm IS lenses (a very large step up from the old 18-55mm kit lens) from Amazon and have yourself a good starter kit. (My only qwelp with the 20D is the small LCD screen other than that it has been an AWESOME camera)
Here is the Canon 18-55mm IS that seller is selling out of a kit for $130 shipped from POTN as well, so with both those you are looking at $490 for everything.. not bad for a start kit.

ONe more thing. Dont forget the lens is as important if not more important than the body.

ONe more thing. Dont forget the lens is as important if not more important than the body.

OP: The lens is only more important if you have one already. The kit lenses have been proven to be great quality for the price. There are draw backs, but since you are keeping to 600 or less you need not worry about a "high" quality lens.

Nikon is a great system. The flash, and high end bodies are great, and the low end do have a serious design issue (IMHO) where they cannot work lenses without a lens motor. That mean you need AF-S lenses only. Only the D90 and above (current models) have a "screwdriver" that will operate the lens motor. Other than that I don't see any difference in the two systems. Each allow you to take better quality photo's as their sensors and processors are much more powerful.

I was faced with Nikon/Canon and I went Canon, as I was already familiar with the system as my film SLR was canon. My lenses were not expensive, so my investment was low.

Features other than what I explained are identical for arguments sake. Go with what you feel would work for you. The kit lens is perfect for starting and when you go to upgrade you will have more money.

I would suggest a used D50 or D70. The D40, D40x, and D60 are great cameras but the lack of an internal drive motor on all 3 of them (meaning that older non AF-S lenses can't autofocus) was a bit of a deal breaker for me. The D50, D70, and D40 can all be picked up on ebay or other photography forums for roughly 250, so I would definitely go this route and pick up a quality lens with the remainder of the money. You can get great deals on the nikonians forum (though you do need to be a silver member, which is $25 for a year). A D70 or D50 (~$250), a fast prime lens (nikon 50mm f/1.8, $110 new, 85-100 used), leaves you with ~$250 left to spend on either a zoom or a wide angle lens.

My parents, some friends, and I all recently bought into the Nikon D40/D40x. Between us all, we've bought some lenses. In my experience, the lack of an autofocus motor in these bodies is not that limiting--Nikon is updating their entire lineup to AF-S, so all future lenses will support it. Only if you have your heart set on buying some primes right away might you get irritated. There's only one Nikkor prime lens that supports AF-S at the moment, unless you go the third party route.

I'd recommend any of the Nikons you mentioned :) Probably the D40, with the suggestion that you buy another lens to complement the kit lens. You could do a macro, telephoto, superzoom--lots of options there. If you don't like the size, look at the D80 which is now going for firesale prices as it's replaced by the D90. The D80 gets you the focus motor too, so your lens options increase.

Any of the Canon XS, XTI or XSI (if you stretch) would be fine. As some have mentioned, you might also consider buying a used body. You should definitely consider getting one of the cheaper bodies so that you have a bit in your budget for a telephoto zoom. For most consumer uses, any modern dslr body will be perfectly adequate - though personal opinions and preferences vary widely. Because of that last reason, I usually suggest that you go to a camera store and physically check out the cameras, see how they feel, and how you like the user interface.

I find the entry levels much too tiny. I would look for a used 20D/30D on the Canon side or similar on the Nikon side.

Just because they are older does not mean they are not that capable. I still shoot with a 30D as I have many other things to invest in instead of the body.

You could also look at an advanced point and shoot like the Canon G9/G10 which are very good cameras and have a ton of manual controls for pro like shooting (many semi-pro photogs use them as a small portable camera)

This may or may not be relevent But if you stretch your budget a tad I found a kit on amazon I will be purchasing soon unless I find a significant argument to change my mind for $650.

Its a D60 but it comes with to VR lenses the 18-55mm vr and the 55-200mm vr

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A17MC6HOH9AVE6&v=glance

I have looked at the d40x and others but the feature that sold me the most in my price range was the dust cleaning system, I know cleaning will be a must as always, but this feature should help to keep the dust off my photos. I am new to this so this feels like the best bang for my buck at this current moment in time.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
^tokey43074, if $650 is what you're willing to spend, then i'd suggest taking a look at this D-80
you're sacrificing the 55-200 for a better camera. a fair trade IMO. plus, it will be "more versatile" later on, with your lens selection (D60 doesn't have the screwdriver and consequently, you will only be able to get autofocus with AF-S type lens only).

as for the dust problem, people blow it way out of proportion. i've had my dslr for some 2 years now, and i've only encounter a single problem with dust bunnies, which was quickly resolved with Giotto's rocket blower. the point being, the dust isn't a problem people make it out to be. and the whole dust "cleaning" system is only a marketing gimmick, IMO. and here's a little review on this subject.

Be on top of the camera chain. Go Canon :)

You will get all the women...

Remember that pro cameras and lenses are heavy. Bringing them out for shooting would test a man's determination.

I would suggest to see which brand your friends are using. This will allow you to borrow lenses from them (if they allow you LOL).

You are damn right. :) Of course, with the amount of money he is allowed to spend, it really does not matter which entry level body he should get. He would outgrow it. If he wants to shoot with a big white lens with the red ring someday, Canon. :) He would discover the magic and power of the L......

Be on top of the camera chain. Go Canon :)

You will get all the women...

I am discovering my new L, the 35L :)

I am glad a few of us on this forum know the ways of the L

^tokey43074, if $650 is what you're willing to spend, then i'd suggest taking a look at this D-80
you're sacrificing the 55-200 for a better camera. a fair trade IMO. plus, it will be "more versatile" later on, with your lens selection (D60 doesn't have the screwdriver and consequently, you will only be able to get autofocus with AF-S type lens only).

as for the dust problem, people blow it way out of proportion. i've had my dslr for some 2 years now, and i've only encounter a single problem with dust bunnies, which was quickly resolved with Giotto's rocket blower. the point being, the dust isn't a problem people make it out to be. and the whole dust "cleaning" system is only a marketing gimmick, IMO. and here's a little review on this subject.

Thanks for the advice, My total budget is $850 but that included shipping a cleaning kit, a hood and some filters. But if i play with some numbers I could get this kit for $800 and have the lenses I want to start with. then pick up other items later as money permits.

the dust thing is mainly, I have two siberian huskies and I have hair everywhere, but I guess I am being picky. I am liking the d80 tho after some looking lol

Thanks for the advice, My total budget is $850 but that included shipping a cleaning kit, a hood and some filters. But if i play with some numbers I could get this kit for $800 and have the lenses I want to start with. then pick up other items later as money permits.

the dust thing is mainly, I have two siberian huskies and I have hair everywhere, but I guess I am being picky. I am liking the d80 tho after some looking lol

the next best thing you can do, is pick up this kit for $730. it's a single lens kit, as you can see. 18-135 is a pretty good lens (i have it, so if you'd like some test photos, let me know). it will eliminate the need for swapping the lenses, and in return, it should calm you down about the hair issue. the lens will stay on at all time, thus eliminating any possibility of the hair ever getting inside the camera.

this, and the Giotto's Rocket Blower is really all you need to get you started. if you still want to get a care kit, pick something like this. Copper Hill has a quality products. i especially like their cloths.

Between the D80 and the D90, i'd recommend the D90.
above either i'd recommend an XSi (based on actually using and totally loving it)

Cons to the d80 amount to one thing. crappy exposure. i'm constantly fighting with it to expose right. (ie, between -2/3 and -3 (3 whole stops overexposed = defective))

D90 fixes that and canons have always shot great at +-0ev

note: What i love most about the XSi is shooting at 1600 iso -2ev and boosting it to 6400 perfectly usable. the D80's sensor can't do that and the D90's can but at greater $$$

I cant afford a d90 so thats not an option, The XSi feels cheap, my hands dont fit the body at all. The d80 that i looked at today, just felt right. I also looked at the A300 today. I like it but Inot well enough to want to buy it.

I Love the features on the XSi though. So If i can get over the "cheap" feeling of the body I may go the canbon route. If not I am going to have to stick with my $800 D80 kit, I love the photos nortrop sent but for what I plan on doing I think a 18-55mm vr kit and a 55-200mm kit will be more versitile.

My aoplogies to the OP for the threadjack lol and thanks to the people who has offered their opinions

I still think you can pick up a used 30D/40D for pretty cheap. Only nikons I think are decent is the D700/D300/D90/D3...

If the d80 felt right, go with it (or the d90). If you choke down feelings of discontent for the XSI body you will just be buying a new camera in a year and a half.

The Sony A200 seems like it is in your budget. I would have recommended the A300 if it was still boxing week. My friend got one with 2 lenses for $579

I still think you can pick up a used 30D/40D for pretty cheap. Only nikons I think are decent is the D700/D300/D90/D3...

I've seen used 40D's for about 600~. I'll agree with you on the Nikon's (few older models are cool too).

Personal preference.

You need to buy used body and lens to get the best of it. So, in this case I recommend..

D40x - $250
Nikkor 16-85 VR - $430

That would put you very close to $700, but you would have a very good camera gear.

If it were me, I'd spend a little more and get the XSi. My dad (Who has been in the photo business for 38 years) has a Canon 40D and a Rebel XSi. The XSi's image quality is better than the 40D hands down, which may sound hard to believe, but it's true. The 30D is a disappointing camera for what you can expect to pay for a used body in good shape.

Id have to say e520 for that price hands down. I love mine!
IS built in and high quality glass available. Not as popular as Canon as canon makes higher end cameras than olympus in there top of the line, but the olympus is a GREAT camera for the money.

if you have $850 you can probably even get the 14-54 instead of the kit lens and have money to spare.

Is the OP still looking for recommendations? This thread has been open for quite some time :)

Back