• Half Life Series

Votes: 88 51.2%
  • Doom Series

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • DeusEx Series

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Soldier of Fortune Series

• MoH/CoD Series (yeah yeah, b!tch all ya want)

Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Quake Series

Votes: 21 12.2%
  • Rainbow6/Ghost Recon Series

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Serious Sam Series (Seriously!)

• Red Faction Series

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters

J4M3S0N79

Gawd
Aight,
Take your pick.........and if you have time, your favorite moment from your favorite game from your favorite series!

Enjoy,
M

My favorite FPS experience was the first time I played The Catacombs Abyss (before Doom). Nothing like it .... most recently ? I'd say CoD blew me away at first.

FPS get boring very very fast. Point shoot, crouch shoot, I mean ... sigh. But yes... CoD was very good. HL2 its great too, but Steam is such a piece most of us cannot play. Also I woudn't be suprised if HL series wins.. first of all I'd guess that 75% or more of the people in here never played the Doom series for instance.

Lord of Shadows said:
Why is quake in the middle of the nose bleeds? (and italized for that matter)

Sorry...just the order they came to me! Anyway..my favorite 'part' of any FPS were the levels in Unreal1 where you approach and ascend the sunspire...and finally NaPali Heaven! That was great!

I have a funny feeling that this poll will be skewed towards the newest releases.

In fact, I bet the final results will be in this order:

Half Life Series
Doom Series
Unreal Series
MoH/CoD Series (yeah yeah, b!tch all ya want)
DeusEx Series
Soldier of Fortune Series
Quake Series
Rainbow6/Ghost Recon Series
Serious Sam Series (Seriously!)
Red Faction Series

Which is pretty much the order the games were released in. Betcha that Quake will be on top in a few months when Quake 4 is released.

Well, we do have short memories! Plus, at the rate technology improves on newer games, how can the latest games not be the best?

How the hell did Half Life series fit in here :D

I voted Unreal series because both games where good and very different. The first was a god damn masterpiece. But It´s tempting to say Doom series because of Doom 1 and 2 but those are to similar and Doom 3 ruins the serie a bit.

Jonsey said:
Well, we do have short memories! Plus, at the rate technology improves on newer games, how can the latest games not be the best?
Because the game design sucks. Case in point. System Shock is VASTLY superior to Doom 3 in game design and is more fun to play. Final Fantasy 7 is considered to be better than Final Fantasy 10 by many fans despite it being on the Playstation 1. Moria is better than most modern RPG games... and its all text!

Technology doesn't automatically make a better game.

I'm a Soldier of Fortune 2 NUT!!! I love that game. One of the best MP games with the best hit detection I've ever seen. I friggin pOOn at that game.

HL2 is easily the best SP game I've played yet. Don't get me wrong, D3 was a great suspenceful, scary game, but HL2 just looks so damn good and the game play is smooth.

Wheres the System Shock Series? I voted HL but would have voted for SS1 and SS2 if I had a choice... I loved Deus Ex 1 but god Deus Ex 2 was horrible!

HL really got me into games, and so far I'm loving HL2. I really liked Deus Ex 1, but hated DX2. The rest of those games are a meh to me.

Interesting to see the old rivals quake and unreal neck and neck at 4 votes a piece.

why not ask this on a day OTHER than the day HL2 being released lol I mean really, I admit valve does good stuff but it's not a fair vote

Techx said:
why not ask this on a day OTHER than the day HL2 being released lol I mean really, I admit valve does good stuff but it's not a fair vote
Just wait for all the emo wannabe/anti societal idiots to start bashing HL2. It's inevitable.

For graphics, I have yet to be totaly and utterly floored as the First time I loaded up quake 2 with my voodoo card.

it BLEW MY FREAKIN MIND.

Now for story, Half life did that for me on the story level.

Im still waiting for half life 2 to get shipped to me, and Im hopeing it does one of the above again ;)

Shapeshifter said:
For graphics, I have yet to be totaly and utterly floored as the First time I loaded up quake 2 with my voodoo card.

it BLEW MY FREAKIN MIND.

Im still waiting for half life 2 to get shipped to me, and Im hopeing it does one of the above again ;)
It did the first for me. The second, well we'll see ;) I took some screenshots and showed a few friends. To quote them "Oh my god, those look real."

dudewth said:
It did the first for me. The second, well we'll see ;) I took some screenshots and showed a few friends. To quote them "Oh my god, those look real."

some one needs to post that Rock image, that shows "farcry, doom 3, half life 2, and then real life" funny as hell... and somewhat true :D

Shapeshifter said:
some one needs to post that Rock image, that shows "farcry, doom 3, half life 2, and then real life" funny as hell... and somewhat true :D
1.jpg

This is my playing resolution, 1024x768 with no AA or AF. The sad thing is that I'm impressed by a damn cardboard box.

Shapeshifter said:

it BLEW MY FREAKIN MIND.

Imagine my surprise when I walked outside in Unreal for the first time running voodoo 2 SLI

My vote will have to go with EPIC/Unreal series. Unreal/Unreal Tournament/Unreal Tournament 2004 easily have taken up more of my time than any of the other series combined. Not to mention that EPIC has been great when it comes to actually listening to the fans. *COUGH* NO-CD CHECK PATCH *COUGH*

If you include the cousins of the game (aka mods), I'd say hl is #1. I mean the game is 6 years old and its total mods still get 100k+ players per night. No other set of games could stand the test of time like that.

Yeah if we took people that have played all series including system shock I am hundred percent sure that would get the most votes as best fps serie. But then it´s not really fps it´s fps/rpg hybrid so perhaps it´s disqualified.

Otherwise NOLF series is a pretty solid series. I don´t count the kickoff Contract J.A.C.K. It´s really not part of the series.

Most scary FPS ever is Aliens vs Predator 2 definitely, why is it not listed?

...not finished with HL2 though, very impressed with the graphics and physics simulation.

you know, when i first saw this, i was like "Unreal all the way"...then, after i voted, i was like "shit, CS is part of half-life" :rolleyes:

i'm dumb like that sometimes...so i'd hafta say one of the two...Unreal has been my savior for a while, but after playing CS for like 5 hours straight yesterday...i just....love it :p 46 kills and like 80-some deaths is freakin amazing :p

bobsaget said:
Where is the Halo series?

*takes a step back*

pshhh...2 games doesn't make it anything worth being noted :p...sure, i'll admit, halo was good, but not THAT good...

*runs from evil nerds with glasses, pitchforks, and needlers ;)*

Definately my favorite point in the HL series was about 2/3 through the game, when I was in control of the artillery, and a huge monster was stuck hehind a gate trying to get to me. I set the controls to shell the monster, but all it did was blow up the gate. Now he took a direct path to where I was standing. I heard his footsteps coming to me as i tried to set the artillery sites to him, but there was know way I was going to hit a moving target.

I did the only thing I could do. Knowing he was headed up the ramp to my position, I set the artillery crosshairs to call in a volley to hit the spot I was standing. I just got the target set, turned around to see the monster standing right next to be about to send me to oblivion. I hit the fire button, then immediately jumped into an adjacent water tank. I heard the shells hit the platform as I submerged. :eek:

When I came to the surface, nothing but little monster parts all over the place. :cool:

I dont think I ever went to sleep that night.

klharmon said:
Definately my favorite point in the HL series was about 2/3 through the game, when I was in control of the artillery, and a huge monster was stuck hehind a gate trying to get to me. I set the controls to shell the monster, but all it did was blow up the gate. Now he took a direct path to where I was standing. I heard his footsteps coming to me as i tried to set the artillery sites to him, but there was know way I was going to hit a moving target.

I did the only thing I could do. Knowing he was headed up the ramp to my position, I set the artillery crosshairs to call in a volley to hit the spot I was standing. I just got the target set, turned around to see the monster standing right next to be about to send me to oblivion. I hit the fire button, then immediately jumped into an adjacent water tank. I heard the shells hit the platform as I submerged. :eek:

When I came to the surface, nothing but little monster parts all over the place. :cool:

I dont think I ever went to sleep that night.

hahaha, ur 1337 story was amazing....that cracked me up....

Alex41290 said:
no, cuz it includes mods such as CS, Opposing Force, Blue Shift, etc...
That's where I disagree. The Half Life ENGINE includes the mods. The Half Life FPS Series does NOT. If AVP was there, I would have voted for it. I voted for SOF actually..maybe it was DOOM.

Exitwound said:
That's where I disagree. The Half Life ENGINE includes the mods. The Half Life FPS Series does NOT. If AVP was there, I would have voted for it. I voted for SOF actually..maybe it was DOOM.

true, true, didn't think about that...hmm.....well, i'm sticking with Unreal then :p

There's a few missing, the Battlefield series, Tribes series. Battlefield series is okay, Tribes started strong, 2 was pretty good imo, Vengeance...meh.

only reason half life is winning cuse hl2 just came out....unreal the best ever

Lord of Shadows said:
Then isnt half life a quake mod?
I think we're talking about separate universes. The HL universe (the places and people and time) does not coincide with the CS universe, or the SOF universe. HL, just because it is it using the Quake engine, doens't make it the same universe. The Unreal universe isn't quite clear from the Unreal games out there, minus a few places. HL probably has the best explanation of its universe due to two single player games and a few expansions. Though AVP probalby has the best known. We just learned of the UAC in Doom3.

Back