Best free programs to get rid of Spyware

fyxgel2

n00b
What are some good free programs out there, which will help clean spyware off my computer? I only am using 1 right now, its called "Spybot Search and Destroy"

I figure maybe if I use more than 1 program it will help to keep my machine even cleaner.

Spybot does a great job if you keep it updated and scan often, though I would use Adaware every once in a while just to make sure.

Use the proggys above listed and use Hijack this as well to determine what is EXACTLY going on in your system with spyware, helped me alot in the past.

Coolwebshredder was also a great poggy but the programmer has since given up working on it as the spyware infestation has gotten unbearable and couldn't keep up. Can't say I blame him.

I use Spybot, and Adaware in conjunction. Used to use cwshredder.

I like Security Task Manager as a way to view every process running and every DLL associated with them. Really helps out for spyware.

adaware is very good for general stuff, more advanced stuff could need a combination of tools to remove... it's good to have them all onhand.

you guys hear? microsoft purchased some spyware company...I can't recall the name, something giant

but hopefully, SOON, the spyware problem will be 'fixed'...I am hoping
after SP2's security (seemed like they actually tried to make windows more secure) I am hoping that they are going to take this software, make it better and somehow include it in their next SP...but we'll see

:)

IMO, the spyware problem is a difficult one to solve, and probably wont be solved by MS alone given their track record on security. Why? Because you've got legit companies shelling out big bucks to make sophisticated programs that we know as spyware. The reason we need these tools is because it's often not as simple as going into the registry and removing a key from "Run" and deleting the exe. Often times you've got registry keys buried deep into the registry, files dropped all over the system, hooked DLL's that can replace the exe you just deleted, and programs that can manipulate your directory listing options to hide itself and do it on-the-fly in attempt to keep you from seeing it. Some of these things are nasty, nasty programs.

As long as these companies keep shelling out the bucks for the programmers to make these pieces of software, they'll keep on getting more sophisticated and keep on exploiting weaknesses in the browsers we use as well as in a more difficult area to patch, general human stupidity.

Along with the suggestions above - StartupList (from the same person that gave us Hijackthis!) is a useful program for tracking down spyware problems.
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

"A simple tool that lists all and every auto starting program on your system. You might be surprised what it finds, this is way better than Msconfig. Commonly used to troubleshoot malfunctioning systems, trojan/viral infections, new spyware/malware breed and the likes."

Boscoh said:
IMO, the spyware problem is a difficult one to solve, and probably wont be solved by MS alone given their track record on security. Why? Because you've got legit companies shelling out big bucks to make sophisticated programs that we know as spyware. The reason we need these tools is because it's often not as simple as going into the registry and removing a key from "Run" and deleting the exe. Often times you've got registry keys buried deep into the registry, files dropped all over the system, hooked DLL's that can replace the exe you just deleted, and programs that can manipulate your directory listing options to hide itself and do it on-the-fly in attempt to keep you from seeing it. Some of these things are nasty, nasty programs.

As long as these companies keep shelling out the bucks for the programmers to make these pieces of software, they'll keep on getting more sophisticated and keep on exploiting weaknesses in the browsers we use as well as in a more difficult area to patch, general human stupidity.
I agree with you to a certain extent

The thing is at least Microsoft is finally/hopefully trying to do something about it...and IMO it seems that when they put effort in something they seem to do a pretty good job

I agree I doubt it'll get rid of it completally, but it's a step in the right direction

spywareblaster is a great program, It blocks about 99% of the crap from even installing on my boxen. I tend to scan with adaware and spybot, then use spywareblaster to block.
ever since I started using spyware blaster and mozilla/FIREFOX I only find one tracking cooking once in a while

u_DR_K13

DR_K13 said:
ever since I started using spyware blaster and mozilla/FIREFOX I only find one tracking cooking once in a while

That is another thing that is extremely important. Upgrade to SP2 to get the newer version of Internet Explorer, or even better, upgrade to a browser like Mozilla, Firefox, Opera, whatever. Firefox would probably be the best option (many people's favorite) and it's definitely a safer browser than IE.

These are what you need to totally remove all spyware

1. Ad-awareSE
2. Spybot
3. CSWShredder
4. Highjack This

Then use some like SpywareBlaster to help prevent spyware.

Install Update and run all 4 programs since they all pick up things differently. ;)

Back