Best free windows based media player/burner?

B

bostesseger69

Like 98.99% of you here on the [H], I have a bazillion mp3's, and dvd's, etc, etc on my puter.

Here is where I need your help, I'm looking for the best, newest FREE media player for my machine.
--------------------------------------
#1 - I want something that can play all types of music files.

#1.1 - I want something you can make playlists in.

#1.2 - I want something that isn't going to run slowly, lag, etc with the huge amount of music I have.

#1.3 - Something with a good visualizer would be a plus as well.

#1.4 - This may just be a dream, but a good mixer included in the program would be a plus as well.

#1.5 - Something you can burn cd's with, and/or video files to dvd's with would also be a plus.
-------------------------------------
#2 - It would be cool if the program can also play video clips/files, or dvd files that I have burned to my computer's hard drive.
----------------------------------------
#3 - FREE!!!! I don't want to pay for this program. Please hook me up with a good program ladies and gents. :D

I use VLC player for the most part. But I honestly think MPC is the better app. Seems to be more up on things as well as more compatible.

I would say VLC; however, it cannot burn cd's, otherwise it meets all your needs. Winamp is always nice, but the video function is less smooth than the slim and trim VLC

foobar is fine for huge libraries.
for video, cccp + mpc-hc
for burning, use cdburnerxp

Okay, I've tried out foobar. I don't really like it because of this reason - In iTunes I like the way the library is arranged, you can arrange songs by genre, by artist, type of music, etc. I can't seem to figure out how to do this in foobar? Am I missing something?

Also, I've deleted iTunes, I will possibly re-install it soon as it looks to be there isn't anything as good as it. I've noticed in the old iTunes media library, there are a ton of .bak files, should I delete these, or keep them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember that Foobar is completely moddable and the initial installation is very very plain and simple.

I found that installing this skin http://tedgo.deviantart.com/art/DarkOne-v3-0-1-187628705 made the GUI alot better and is able to navigate your library like you did in itunes.

This is news to me.....I will try the GUI you posted out as it looks pretty decent. Is there a site that holds, or displays all the GUI's for Foobar?

Edit: Thank you also, I may have known this at some time, but my recent brain injury may have erased it as it has erased many things as of lately.

Back