Best Game possible (not a DOOM3 thread)

SPIDEI2MAN

Weaksauce
I have a:
Celeron 2.8
ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 IGP (64 mb shared)
512 RAM
JBL Pro Sound
40 GB HD 7200 rpm

Based on those specs, what game would be the ultimate game for my computer in terms of graphics, and action and fun. I want something that will use the resources I have on my laptop to the fullest, but I want something that will run on all the highest video settings without ANY choppy play. Got any suggestions? (New games preferably)

For help I'll tell you my 3dmark2001 SE score: 3000

Thanks.

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
Celerons are pretty crappy for gaming all around.. but.. i would say civilization 3??

Thats it?

LOL

naww theres gotta be some better games out there....that will work on this computer.

hehe sorry.. i'm not a big gamer.. i don't know of many games lol.. but i love civilization 3 man.. it rocks.. lol.. sorry...

This is a notebook right? Really, there's not much you can do... Warcraft 3 recommends a 32mb videocard... but yours is 64mb shared, so i'm not sure how well it would run on it.

wc3 would run fine. Might be able to run ut2k4 ok without details cranked up.

:eek:

Ummmm....Tribes 2?

Aliens vs Predator 2 should also run pretty well.

Planetside will, actually - that's a thought. Rather fun shooter, there.

UT2k4....probably not. UT2k3 most likely will, though, with some consideration to graphics options (IE., you can't turn EVERYTHING up....but a lot of it).

This sounds like a good opportunity to explore all those 'golden oldie' games and adventure games you may have missed the first time round....since that's basically all you can play with options cranked.

Adventure games:
Longest Journey
Grim Fandango
Syberia
Monkey Island Series
Myst
Riven

"Golden Oldies" (not really, most are just a couple years old and may well still look very good):
Aliens vs Predator (and the second)
American McGee's Alice
Clive Barker's Undying
Jane's F/A-18
Jane's F-15
Jane's Longbow 2
Sub Command
Quake III
Unreal Tournament (*maybe* UT2k3 - try the demo, that'll tell ya for sure)
Tribes
Tribes 2 (probably - remember, Tribes 2 doesn't work with FSAA on ATI cards)
Starfleet Command: Orion Pirates (best of the series)
X-Wing vs TIE Fighter (X-Wing Alliance, too - better graphics, better single-player, much worse multi-player)
Independence War 2
Homeworld 2
SimCity 4 (where FPS just doesn't matter!)
Need for Speed series (not the latest one - 'Underground' - but pretty much all the rest you can crank up)

dderidex said:
:eek:

Ummmm....Tribes 2?

Aliens vs Predator 2 should also run pretty well.

Planetside will, actually - that's a thought. Rather fun shooter, there.

UT2k4....probably not. UT2k3 most likely will, though, with some consideration to graphics options (IE., you can't turn EVERYTHING up....but a lot of it).

This sounds like a good opportunity to explore all those 'golden oldie' games and adventure games you may have missed the first time round....since that's basically all you can play with options cranked.

Adventure games:
Longest Journey
Grim Fandango
Syberia
Monkey Island Series
Myst
Riven

"Golden Oldies" (not really, most are just a couple years old and may well still look very good):
Aliens vs Predator (and the second)
American McGee's Alice
Clive Barker's Undying
Jane's F/A-18
Jane's F-15
Jane's Longbow 2
Sub Command
Quake III
Unreal Tournament (*maybe* UT2k3 - try the demo, that'll tell ya for sure)
Tribes
Tribes 2 (probably - remember, Tribes 2 doesn't work with FSAA on ATI cards)
Starfleet Command: Orion Pirates (best of the series)
X-Wing vs TIE Fighter (X-Wing Alliance, too - better graphics, better single-player, much worse multi-player)
Independence War 2
Homeworld 2
SimCity 4 (where FPS just doesn't matter!)
Need for Speed series (not the latest one - 'Underground' - but pretty much all the rest you can crank up)

I have ut2004...that plays very fine...load up takes forever though (only 256 ram but getting double that soon)...

i am dling demo of homeworld 2..

anyone remember a game called freespace 2???? anything like that that u can think of? (that game rocked)

DIABLO 2 - Lords of Destruction

If and only if you are willing to donate a few solid weeks of your life to a game... Weeks being on the lighter side of the length of diablo addictions...

DrkMyrlin said:
DIABLO 2 - Lords of Destruction

If and only if you are willing to donate a few solid weeks of your life to a game... Weeks being on the lighter side of the length of diablo addictions...
ah..

Hell yeah, I though I was the only person who had ever played Descent 3!

Unfortunately I lent the CD to a friend (I had a No-CD crack) and never really hung out with him after that. Then my hard drive crashed. Bastard has had my CD for like 4 years.

was freespace that game where you fly around in space taking jobs (ur name was trent i believe). if that is that game, it freaking loved it. also, mafia is like 10 bucks at wal mart in a jewel case now. that was my favorite single player game of all time, i bet it'll run fine. and i am a d2 addict... 2-3 maybe more hours a day for the last 6-8 months. that game just doesn't get old.

Theres like so many god damn choices of games. But I want something that is still very popular, something that if i say i am playing so and so..alot of poeople would say 'yeah im playing it too'...and I love addicting games..that have a storyline.

And Freespace (for those who asked) was that game where ur fighting aliens but then this new race of aliens called the SHIVANS arrive, and their ships are like...super powerful and shield protected. So you join with former bad aliens to defeat new bad aliens..and u gain research and weipons along the way..and the space looked ..err looks..incredible..love that game and i'd find it again..except i don't really use the joystick that mmuch and that game needs a joystick..

SPIDEI2MAN said:
I want something that is still very popular, something that if i say i am playing so and so..alot of poeople would say 'yeah im playing it too'...

In that case, I'd suggest Half Life, and it's online mods (particulary Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat)

Half Life single player is a great experience. Now, the graphics may not be the greatest, but it's still decent, and your notebook will have no problems playing it. Also, the online mods for it are fun, and still have many people playing it. Day of Defeat is a little more demanding than Counter strike and Half Life, but you still should be able to play it with a decent FPS.

SPIDEI2MAN said:
I have a:
Celeron 2.8
ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 IGP (64 mb shared)
512 RAM
JBL Pro Sound
40 GB HD 7200 rpm

Based on those specs, what game would be the ultimate game for my computer in terms of graphics, and action and fun. I want something that will use the resources I have on my laptop to the fullest, but I want something that will run on all the highest video settings without ANY choppy play. Got any suggestions? (New games preferably)

Thanks.

quake 2 owns JOO!!!!!!!

Back