Best game we've never played?

smooth.jpg

Full Throttle anyone?

I think Perfect Dark required the little gizmo that went into the N64 that boosted ram + did some processing for optimum performance. Forget what it's called now.

I always enjoyed Goldeneye more than PD... just found it more fun. Both were pretty popular though.

Sticking with the N64 theme, I can't even count how many hours I spent playing Battletanx 1 & 2. I loved those games.

Nox (by Westwood) was a diablo 2 like game but in my mind a 100x better. pvp and multiplayer was amazing.

I've never met anyone thats ever played it other than me.

So post if you have. I'd like to see.

I played this game about 4 times from beginning to end. I didn't really care for Diablo all that much. If I recall, the elf or archer was overpowered.

Nox (by Westwood) was a diablo 2 like game but in my mind a 100x better. pvp and multiplayer was amazing.

I've never met anyone thats ever played it other than me.

So post if you have. I'd like to see.

Now you've met at least one other person that has. I only vaguely remember it. The story had something to do with a kid that was sucked into the TV and had to fight a bad guy for some reason?

Now I know that sounds dumb, but don't hold that against the game.

I must have had good taste as a kid. Half the time in these threads, I find that I've played most of the games mentioned. I even recently found the CD for KKND. Although, I can't remember if I liked the game or not.

I thought I would throw Grim Fandango in the mix too. Quite a few people may have heard about it, but if you havn't then you aren't a complete PC gamer! :D

heard of it..woot I'm in the cool crowd yea...pretty sure it didn't sell well, most adventure games don't

Wizardry 8 with the Dodd the Slayer mod for pure hardcore cRPG goodness. I have played it vanilla 3x and twice with the player mod, yum.

Is freespace 2 really that unknown? I know many people who have played it and liked it including myself.

Freespace 2 had a small taters audience compared to the Wing Commander and X-Wing franchises. Yes, F2 was a better game, and a better engine- but I remember I had to *convince* people to try this game. It didn't help that F2's predecessor was titled Descent: Freespace- The Great War. That association with the Descent games turned a lot of folks off.

On a genre-related note, my best game you've never played has to go to Independence War 2: The Edge of Chaos. I've played a lot of space-sims, and this is the only one that actually feels rlike flying and fighting in space.

Plus the damn game's eight years old and it still looks good.
177121.jpeg

Didn't know Freespace did so poorly sales-wise. I played the hell out of the X-Wing series, but was too caught up with FPS's by the time Freespace rolled around. If I knew where the hell my CH Fighter stick went I'd love to try some of the titles recommended here...

On topic, the best game you've never played is Steins;Gate, a Japanese text(novel) adventure for the 360. Someday I'd like to see modern-day western devs take on games like this, but I don't see that happening any time soon when it's all about big budgets and 'living' the experience.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41syBzzAipL._SS400_.jpg

Probably lots of these "not so popular games" over the years that i have stumbled upon.
One of the more memorable ones was "Global Operations"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Operations

It was basically a Counterstrike clone, that never became popular (made by same company that helped create CS).
Unfortunately there were some bugs with the game, some which allowed people to cheat
Also if i recall correctly i think it required a good PC to run well.
I had lots of fun playing this game online with a few friends.
I remember the sounds and weapon animations were quite good for the time, way better then CS.

Obviously this game is not very good by today's standards, but it was fun at the time (2002).

Last edited:
Siege of Avalon, it was a top down hack and slash in the vein of Diablo but it had so much story to it, it was like reading a book. I still have fond memories of that game that it's sad that they never made the sequel.

descent was the shit, why would it turn people off?

also remember a descent clone type game called Forsaken or something like that

On a genre-related note, my best game you've never played has to go to Independence War 2: The Edge of Chaos. I've played a lot of space-sims, and this is the only one that actually feels rlike flying and fighting in space.

What exactly does that mean, though? Every game does it differently. Do ships have fuel or a top speed? Do ships slow down when the engines aren't on, or can you get up to speed and then rotate to face any direction? It's a tough balance, because a game that did it accurately would be next to impossible for most people to play.

Amplitude, the game Harmonix made before Guitar Hero and Rock Band:

amplitude.jpg

My favorite PS2 game and most played by a large margin. Loved the multiplayer mode too.

One of my all time favorites that fits this thread is Mail Order Monsters on the Commodore 64 / 128 from about two and a half decades ago.

Meh, that game was ok.... IF you played two player. Single player blew IMO. I suppose if you were around 10 it would have been awesome... I had already been spoiled with Ultima IV by that time.

This thread is great simply for informing me that Sacrifice is available on steam. I got a copy with my refurb'd Ti4400 years ago and it was great. Lent it to a friend, friend moved to Baltimore...never saw it again

Strife was a very interesting game.
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/s...vert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;read-review
If you can overlook Strife's mediocre graphics, you'll be blown away by the unique interface, engaging storyline, outstanding voice-overs, and unusual weapons. For those who are looking for a new take on the standard RPG, Strife is a game that shouldn't be missed.
Though the graphics didn't seem quite so horrible all those years ago...

CyClones is another old one I remember. The mouselook in it was all new and fancy at the time (15 years ago). If I remember correctly, the screen didn't move with the mouse, only the cursor. Whereas current games generally have your gun only shooting straight in front of you (as if the gun were mounted in your chest), CyClones had a fixed field of view but you could aim anywhere in that field of vision. It was more like being unable to move your head to look around, but your arm could point the gun anywhere that you could see.

What exactly does that mean, though? Every game does it differently. Do ships have fuel or a top speed? Do ships slow down when the engines aren't on, or can you get up to speed and then rotate to face any direction? It's a tough balance, because a game that did it accurately would be next to impossible for most people to play.

That's exactly what I-War did. Rather than an arcade flight model based on the dogfights of Star Wars, I-War incorporated a lite newtonian physics model for flight and combat.

YouTube clip

And it's totally playable.

I-War was good I just couldn't get into it. I think I still have it laying somewhere around at my parent's house.

Looking at my game shelf -

Evil Genius - plays kinda like the sims, mixed in with 60s spy themes (think james bond). You're the evil genius trying to take over the world.

Freedom Force - "For Freedom!!!!" A very cheesy squad based super hero game, a la the old Batman & Robin TV show. While I liked the game, I felt it was way to lose health in mission...with barely any way to recover it.

Alien vs Predator 2 - mighta gotten lost with all the FPSs around. It was an absolute terror to play as a marine against aliens...damn buggers popping out everywhere... and hunting as the predator was awesome with his 4(?) vision modes. I got dizzy being the alien though.

Homeworld (and its sequels). I think the first 3d space RTS game. Gorgeous graphics, and a captivating storyline. I almost cried while my cryogenic frozen colonists were being slaughtered in the 2nd mission of the game, and I couldn't save them...

Probably the first "Real" music game.This was the game that spawned games like Guitar Hero. The game was heavy on Techno , Industrial Metal and Pop. The objective was to hit the button of your controller that corresponded with the notes that appeared on the screen, you could roll from side to side to play different notes in the song, ulitimately towards the end of the song it would all come together and you would hear the complete song and hopefully have the highest score if you were competing with a friend. Still to this day I would prefer this game over all others than mimic it. If you haven't played it and are fans of electronic, pop and metal. You could even remix your own song. Do yourself a favor and add this one to your library.

Frequency

Frequency_Coverart.png

frequency_ps2.jpg

Here's a video of one of my favorite tracks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aYokAZ7VMg

Last edited:
Frequency was great too, but I think Amplitude was a little bit better. I did prefer the music In Frequency, but the gameplay improvements in Amplitude erased any lead Frequency had for me. Both excellent games though.

My only complaint in Amplitude was that you couldn't switch from one "end track" to the other like you could in Frequency. Thankfully they put that feature back in for Rock Band Unplugged.

Meh, that game was ok.... IF you played two player. Single player blew IMO. I suppose if you were around 10 it would have been awesome... I had already been spoiled with Ultima IV by that time.

Well, yeah.. I was only 9 when it came out in 1985. :p

And Ultima IV certainly claimed most of my PC gaming time back then. Damn Codex quests!

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, Dangerous Waters, and Ghost Master.

Back