Best gaming headphones for $100-150?

NHT

Limp Gawd
Ive been playing a lot of CSS and am trying to up my experience with the sound. Right now Im using the Altec Lansing headphone and mic combo that I bought for $40 at Best Buy and although they are decent, I think it could be loads better.

Im using onboard audio right now :( so should I upgrade the sound card or the phones? I want the best headphones that will give me a greater sense of where my enemies are. Thanks for the help in advance.

Can anyone lend some input on headphones for me. I know there are many can users out there so it would be greatly appreciated.

You can find a pair of used Audio Technica A900 headphones for around $150 at Head-Fi. Those would be my first choice.

saturnine2 said:
You can find a pair of used Audio Technica A900 headphones for around $150 at Head-Fi. Those would be my first choice.

Yes or get their little brothers the A700 or A500 from audiocubes.com. The only better gaming cans are the Beyerdynamic DT770-80, but they really need a headphone amp to sound as good as the A-T's can without.

Sennheiser HD280 Pro, Just picked some off hot deals last week and got yesterday was only like 80 bucks shipped. These are the best can's i've had to date for the price.

But if you're interested I have the pc160's (the ones the guy above me recomended) that I just upgraded from if you're interested. They're good computer cans since they have the mic and volume adjust. Otherwise I might just keep around for laptop.

Audio-Technica ATH-a500 (audiocubes). Just as good for gaming as it's older brothers. No amp needed for efficient playback.

sc00ter said:
Personally, I'd upgrade the sound card first and see if that helps.

In the world of audio, the principle is upgrading the speakers/headphones bears much more improvement than upgrading your source.

If you can extend your budget just a tad and get some Sennheiser 595s on an Ebay store you will love them, 50 ohms so they will get plenty loud then down the road they sound even better with an amp. Fantastic 3D positioning for games, played plenty of Source with them while I still had them.

Back