best gaming headphones?

chaos68

n00b
I'm looking for a new set of headphones, right now i've got some piece of junk from creative and they are breaking. Looking to use them mostly for gaming, counter-strike, call of duty 4, battlefield 2/2142, also for listening to music. Hopefully trying to stay under 200, but my price range is flexible.

Do you have no other audio gear? Headphones generally match up with certain other audio components to sound the best.

What kind of music?
Do you need isolation?
Open or closed?
Would you be willing to spend on other components (DAC, amp, etc.)?

I've got an x-fi elite pro sound card, music is mostly rock. other components are fine provided they are not too expensive, as for isolation i'll be using them mostly in private, closed would be preferred. I'll be using them mostly for in my room both at home and at college, and if other people didnt have to hear them that would be preferable.

Haven't tried the Ultrasone's but I am in love with my new Denon d2000s. You might want to stick to open headphones if you're playing CS and BF since their will normally be a larger soundstage. Lot's of people think the Audio Technica A900s are a great value and performer for gaming in the $200 range.

Check out this thread/forum: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/headphone-buyers-guide-271258/

Just don't get taken in by the "5.1 surround" headphone craze. I've been through three types (LTB, Razer Barracuda and Medusa), everytime hoping the next model would be the golden one. They're all utter crap compared to a good pair of circumaural stereo headphones.

what's the difference between open and closed for headphones? from what i saw it's just that open headphones have like an exposed grill that will allow the sound waves to propagate out

what's the difference between open and closed for headphones? from what i saw it's just that open headphones have like an exposed grill that will allow the sound waves to propagate out

That's correct. It allows the headphones to have a much more airy quality that increases soundstage. It's like open-air sound (open) versus closed room sound (closed). The difference is similar to playing music at a picnic or in the backyard and playing music in a small room that allows for bouncing sound waves... helps with bass alot.

Here is a review/headphones recommendations for gaming: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/headphones-competitive-gaming-review-387137/

It may stretch your budget a bit... I think the best bet right now might be the A700 to stay under $200. If you don't mind used, there are a few A900 on sale in the Head-Fi For Sale Forums for much cheaper than retail but still in good condition. That will also keep you under $200. Otherwise, get the A900 for more than $200 in retail. Almost $250.

well, good gaming headphones would be the 5.1 models from tritton and razer.
they dont sound as good, but they're actually better for gaming.
especially in games like battlefield series, where its hard to tell where ppl are shooting from, what direction a vehicle is coming in, etc without surround sound.

LOL

If you heard my Stax, which I use to tell how many FEET away people are, you would understand what, "best headphones for gaming" really is.

5.1 headphones suck.

$200 = Denon D2000 ( best overall sound for everything), amp is not required but nice to have. Or the Ultrasone 780 (best bass response), AKG 601( best directional gaming sound, least bass) + at least a cmoy amp.

I'm jamming some hard rock with Seether on my 780.

I fucking love these phones!!! :D

ok, I just picked up some X-Fi fatality headphones and for $30 they sound good. I would not put them in the league as some of the Denon's, but for the money, they sound good to me.

Some headphones need amps to sound their best. The D2000 sounds good without one and even better with one b/c it is easy to drive. The Ultrasone 780 needs one b/c sound cards do not have very strong amps and it is less efficient or harder to drive than the D2000.

Negative.

Here, kool bubba ice said it best:

http://base.teamxbox.com/blog-post/43202/4403/01-20-2008/p1/

For "5.1" headphones, they fail at detail and clarity.

Agreed. As stated, I've owned three kinds of 5.1 headsets and they are absolute crap even for directionality compared even to an entry-level stereo pair. If you really want directional, get a Razer AC-1 or Asus Sonar soundcard with Dolby Headphone technology and a good set of cans.

Also confirmed that the Denon's even sound great unamped, but bass is a bit boomy (this is supposed to calm down once they're burnt-in). That said, I just hooked up my new DAC/Amp and it's like someone cleaned the wax out of my ears -- they sound amazing.

What he said >> "$200 = Denon D2000 ( best overall sound for everything), amp is not required but nice to have. Or the Ultrasone 780 (best bass response), AKG 601( best directional gaming sound, least bass) + at least a cmoy amp. "

Some headphones need amps to sound their best. The D2000 sounds good without one and even better with one b/c it is easy to drive. The Ultrasone 780 needs one b/c sound cards do not have very strong amps and it is less efficient or harder to drive than the D2000.

I was under the impression that the 780's low impedance (~35 ohms) made them very easy to drive.

Regardless, I'm currently looking at amp options. I'm curious to replace my current X-fi with the Halo Claro for $200.

I was under the impression that the 780's low impedance (~35 ohms) made them very easy to drive.

Regardless, I'm currently looking at amp options. I'm curious to replace my current X-fi with the Halo Claro for $200.

Low impedance does not mean it is easy to drive. It just means they are "efficient". However there are current swings to consider as well as the level of sensitivty.

I would just go for a modded Zero DAC/Amp from Head-Fi. You can get them for real cheap compared to retail price. Less than the HT Omega Claro, thats for sure. And sounds much better. I even saw a Zero with an HDAM Moon and LT1346 for like... $170. I almost cried because I couldn't get it.

The Ultrasones have metal drivers. Just need more power to push them around. I find the 32ohm misleading and understand how that could be confusing.

Low impedance does not mean it is easy to drive. It just means they are "efficient". However there are current swings to consider as well as the level of sensitivty.

I would just go for a modded Zero DAC/Amp from Head-Fi. You can get them for real cheap compared to retail price. Less than the HT Omega Claro, thats for sure. And sounds much better. I even saw a Zero with an HDAM Moon and LT1346 for like... $170. I almost cried because I couldn't get it.

I got the "upgraded" Zero DAC/Amp from Ebay last week and couldn't be happier. Got it for $170 shipped from China. It's an amazing piece of equipment for the money.

I was a hesitant ordering direct from China, but the head-fi guys gave this guy good marks: http://stores.ebay.com/szem18. He was very responsive and fast shipping (took only 6 b-days to get to me):

Back