Best Gaming Headset?

Reports from Head-Fi that the Astro A40s are just a tad under the Senn HD555s in overall quality. Not worth it for $200 at all; the real kicker is the MixAmp which has quite a lot of nice features in it. No idea what DAC/opamps/etc it uses though; I've been trying to find out myself without having to buy one and break it apart before I commit.

So what headset would you recommend for under $150? Mainly gaming, FPS's.

i personally love the ath-a900- they go used for less than 150$. for fps gaming any one of the ath-ad500, ad700, ad900, a500, and a700 would make you happy. audio technica cans seem to be able to keep bright hi notes even with the bass cranked up. so u can enjoy the bass while hearing the clear highs you need to survive online fps battles

See thats the thing, Im hoping to find a headset so I dont have to have a secondary mic. Has anyone heard anything about the ATH-COM2's? It seems I may be better off getting a good set of headphones and a separate mic.

lol

Wildman, those gx400s are a BIG risk. They are IEMS based on the Ety ER-4. What does this mean? Well, if you have never tried IEMS you might well hate them. For long gaming sessions, there is a good chance that your ears will hurt in new and appalling ways. I mean REALLY hurt. So buyer beware on that. They should be fine for a match though if you want to overdrive it.

I would always go with the Koss SB40 or A500, A700 or A900 if you want isolation, detail and comfort.

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/...t/Audio-Technica_ATH-A500_Art_Headphones.html

I actually have a pair of Ety's for my DAP and, you are correct, for long sessions they do hurt some but what I want is a quality set of headphones with mic for gaming. I'd like to spend less than $100, if possible, but I am willing to shell out the money if I have to.

Dude, try the A500 or SB40. I think the 500 will be closer in sound signature to the Etys though. The Sb40 has some kick to it so the mids get washed over a bit more than with the A500.

Here are some choices for good gaming headsets. All are all made by manufacturers that make good headphones primarily:

Beyerdynamic MMX 2 ~$100
Sennheiser PC 350 ~$150
Beyerdynamic MMX 300 ~$400 (best gaming headset. period!)

Pair any of the above headsets with the A40 mixamp ($130) and you get a very nice setup that works great for PC and 360 gaming. The mixamp even supports 360 voice chat and allows you to dial in the ratio of voice to game sounds, plus it has dolby headphone and prologic built in for surround sound simulation.

Here are some choices for good gaming headsets. All are all made by manufacturers that make good headphones primarily:

Beyerdynamic MMX 2 ~$100
Sennheiser PC 350 ~$150
Beyerdynamic MMX 300 ~$400 (best gaming headset. period!)

Pair any of the above headsets with the A40 mixamp ($130) and you get a very nice setup that works great for PC and 360 gaming. The mixamp even supports 360 voice chat and allows you to dial in the ratio of voice to game sounds, plus it has dolby headphone and prologic built in for surround sound simulation.

lol

Why did you bump this? We kind of have it covered now. Thanks for trying though. Seriously. Not being sarcastic.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1234050

The 48s will be a good choice. They are closed. Easily the most detailed dynamic can in production. Balanced and very accurate. Nuetral. No colorization. Are expensive, but makes the other cans mentioned look like toys. Mine included. You will need a seperate mic. And they don't look cool.

Whatever you do, don't even think about getting the Razer Barracuda 5.1's.. or I'll kill your family

lol

Why did you bump this? We kind of have it covered now. Thanks for trying though. Seriously. Not being sarcastic.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1234050

Nice write-up. You should be very proud. I'll refrain from answering any poster's questions regarding gaming headsets in the future. I will simply post a link to your thread and request that a moderator immediately close the questioner's thread. Thanks for steering me to the the light. Lol, rofl, omg!

BTW...I AM being sarcastic.

;)

Nice write-up. You should be very proud. I'll refrain from answering any poster's questions regarding gaming headsets in the future. I will simply post a link to your thread and request that a moderator immediately close the questioner's thread. Thanks for steering me to the the light. Lol, rofl, omg!

BTW...I AM being sarcastic.

;)

I believe spaceman was just pointing out the fact that you bumped a month old thread that was already answered quite well AND within the budget range.

I believe spaceman was just pointing out the fact that you bumped a month old thread that was already answered quite well AND within the budget range.

I respectfully disagree sir. But I think it is cute you sticking up for your friend. :D

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but Razer is gonna release their new 7.1 gaming headset called Megalodon. It looks pretty sweet.

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but Razer is gonna release their new 7.1 gaming headset called Megalodon. It looks pretty sweet.
But the price scares me. All this new age tecnology for only 159.00. Tells me Razor cut severe corners to get the price so low. Which means shoddy workmanship. I epect many returns.. Maybe their labor consist of Indian sweat shops. This is a blatant attempt to counter the 40's.

Of the ones i've owned. The medusas sounded the worse and broke after 3 months and getting an rma was going to cost like $75.

Performance to price ratio from best to worst:
Turtle beach hpa2
Razer 5.1
Medusa

Best to last ignorring price:
Razer 5.1
Turtle beach hpa2
Medusa

Back