Best gaming keyboard?

jyi786

Supreme [H]ardness
I've searched the forums, but haven't been able to come up with a clear answer other than possibly the Logitech Elite.

I use right now the Microsoft Multimedia Natural. While it is a good keyboard and all, when I first bought it the keys were very responsive and weren't sticky. Now the keys feel sticky; not sticky in the sense that you spilled coke all over it, sticky in the sense that the plastic of the keys feel like they are hitting something. Basically it's hard for me to press the keys now, and typing is uncomfortable. I get my ass kicked in games too when I shouldn't; when you're in the heat of action and are WASDing, the key (physical key, not the coputer response) might get stuck, and next thing you know, you're toast.

I am looking for a keyboard that has the following:

1. Easy to press, long lasting, quiet keys!!!
2. Must be split, although I'm willing to sacrifice this
3. MUST BE WIRED. No wireless.
4. Must have extra media keys

What's the best keyboard that you'd recommend? Primarily for gaming?

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

I'm hearing great things about the Saitek Eclipse. It may well be my next purchase as well. Not sure if it fits all of your criteria though. It is one unit that does not split. And no media keys except for a volume control.

They also have a "Gamer's Keyboard" that may be more what you are looking for. There is a separate pad with programmable keys.

I've been using Logitech though and I am very happy with their products.

ajm786 said:
Are the Logitechs keys quiet?

I find my Logitech pretty quiet. Although I haven't seen or heard a keyboard that I thought was "loud".

saitek eclipse all the way if you arent loking for wireless. The backlighting is absolutely somehting I can no longer live without. Besides that, the keys are very responsive and light to the touch. They make some sound but not annoying.

boasist said:
i really want to get one of these

www.daskeyboard.com

although then i'll be the only one able to use it in my house!

Whoa I havent seen that before, wish they were a little more responably priced, still I may have to get one of those.

-Matt :cool:

Originally Posted by ajm786
Are the Logitechs keys quiet?

Logitech keys are definitely queit-er than a lot of others out there. I don't see how a keyboard can be completely silent, though. Why? Are you a ninja?

Master Honshu said:
Logitech keys are definitely queit-er than a lot of others out there. I don't see how a keyboard can be completely silent, though. Why? Are you a ninja?

Never asked for silent, though I am a silent freak. Call me a ninja if you will. :rolleyes:

:p

Anyhow, it looks like I'll have to make some compromises. I'll be getting the Saitek Eclipse.

My vote would be for the saitek eclipse, but, seeing as that lacks multimedia functions, how about the Wolf Claw, which has a dedicated panel off to the left for gaming functions, and a full keyboard to the right, meaning you don't have to lean across to type whilst gaming.

EDIT: here's a slightly more serious review:
http://www.mistix.co.uk/review.php?id=29

But, i have to say, even if i desperately needed multimedia controls and split layouts and blahblah, i'd still go for the Eclipse, personally

Silence is something you DO NOT WANT in a keyboard. Spring ("clicky") keyboards are far more durable and they're easier to type on.

I'd recommend finding an IBM Model M on eBay. You should be able to get a nice one for around $50. Make sure you get one of the PS/2 models, as you don't want to have to hunt down a DIN-to-PS/2 adapter.

I'm not kidding, these keyboards are amazing. You will never tolerate any less again.

Da Fan Man said:
Whoa I havent seen that before, wish they were a little more responably priced, still I may have to get one of those.

-Matt :cool:

Don't bother, unless you're really scared of painting. It's a painted Keytronic.

Back