Best gaming LCD under $300?

jmanlp

Limp Gawd
I love mye 2405 but there is just no way I want to lug it to a LAN, plus I want to get something with a way lower response than its 16ms. So I am wondering what LCD I should buy for gaming. This LCD will only be used for gaming and the rest of the time will be a backup monitor for my server (ie very little use besides games).

So far I have looked at the Viewsonic vx922 for around $270, I hear this is one darn good gaming monitor. Anything else I should look at, or is this the way to go?

Damn, I ruled that out because of the price, now I wonder if it would be a better gaming monitor than the vx922... What would you guys do, I gotta get this ordered this weekend.

well, they ran out of stock of the 2025wm, I shouldn't have waited so long. Anyway I guess I'm just gonna grab a vx922. One thing I'm starting to worry about is all this talk of input lag lately. Is the vx922 and the 2025wm for that matter affected by input lag at all?

jmanlp said:
well, they ran out of stock of the 2025wm, I shouldn't have waited so
I also tried and tested the Viewsonic VX922 but unfortunately my findings are more inconclusive and inconsistent. I felt like there was some noticeable lag in comparison with my CRT, though much less than the 204B, but measurements were consistently low
long. Anyway I guess I'm just gonna grab a vx922. One thing I'm starting to worry about is all this talk of input lag lately. Is the vx922 and the 2025wm for that matter affected by input lag at all?

You SHOULD be worried about input lag if you are a hardcore fps player, but probably not so much if you are not. Some people have the impression that input lag is only present on LCDs with VA type panels. This is NOT my experience. I play UT2004 a lot and input lag on more than one LCD I have tried has been unacceptable to me. I just posted some findings in one of the input lag threads including a comment or two on the VX922, so if you want to see them check this out: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1029433265#post1029433265. :D

if you havn't already ordered...

consider the Dell 1907FP its like $260

i was in the same situation and i went with this and so far it's amazing! havn't experienced any lag at all!

just another option

personally...i would never buy something just because of a sponsorship

most sponsorships have nothing to do with quality, its all about the money

Sta!nless said:
I'd try one of these benq's..If it's good enough for CPL.lcd sponsoship

The FP93G X
Those monitors are garbage, none of the players want to play on them because they have terrible color reproduction and the tearing is unbearable. They will be back to the 19" Samsung CRTs that the players have come to know and love.

Sta!nless said:
I'd try one of these benq's..If it's good enough for CPL.lcd sponsoship

The FP93G X

And I should buy PNY videocards because they sponser Team3D? :rolleyes:

TheRapture said:
I am very impressed with this display for $215 !!!!!!!!!!!! 19" Widescreen http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824009073

Running on my 6yr old's rig, using a Radeon X800 XTPE, it is fantastic......no DVI though, but really, no big deal....plenty fast response and gradients are actually better looking than my Gateway 21"........

That display looks pretty good, but it only has VGA out? How well would that compare to DVI out? I imagine there is a difference in quality as I tried using DVI and VGA with my parent's 2005fpw and noticed the difference. But thats only one LCD monitor :)

synergyo1 said:
That display looks pretty good, but it only has VGA out? How well would that compare to DVI out? I imagine there is a difference in quality as I tried using DVI and VGA with my parent's 2005fpw and noticed the difference. But thats only one LCD monitor :)

Don't get me wrong, I love my Gateway and it is connected via DVI....but that Acer using VGA has better gradient response....it's very good.

Has anyone measured the input lag of some of these "gaming" 19" LCDs. I see lots of 20" widescreen and 24" monitors being tested, however with these new 2ms gaming LCDs out it would be nice to test. I guess I may just have to do the test myself...

jmanlp said:
Has anyone measured the input lag of some of these "gaming" 19" LCDs. I see lots of 20" widescreen and 24" monitors being tested, however with these new 2ms gaming LCDs out it would be nice to test. I guess I may just have to do the test myself...

I agree, people should be doing this. Well at the very least the hardware reviewers should.

I measured input lag on the Viewsonic VX922 and LG 1970HR and it was minimal on both. See my post in this thread for more details: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1026393&page=4. If you do any measurements of your own I hope you'll add your results there.

I ordered the vx922 today, I will test the input lag vs my 2405 and perhaps one of my older CRTs, I am guessing I just get one of the clock apps, clone the displays and take a picture with my digital camera?

jmanlp said:
I ordered the vx922 today, I will test the input lag vs my 2405 and perhaps one of my older CRTs, I am guessing I just get one of the clock apps, clone the displays and take a picture with my digital camera?

Yes, exactly. Optimally you should use a clock/stopwatch app which has a three digit millisecond display, you should compare to the CRT which has almost no lag, and you should take a fair number of pictures because some don't turn out due to the digital numbers displayed being photographed while in transition.

Back