Best hardware monitor calibrator for OSX

UnknownSouljer

[H]F Junkie
Just as the title says. I've done a little research, and I've seen postings in the monitor forum, but usually the calibration software being used is for Windows based machines.
Just doing a quick check before I pull the trigger on anything.

For reference:
Price Point: < or = $200 (Unless there is something significantly better for just a bit more, I am willing to search eBay, I am willing to buy used.)

Early 2008 15" MBP
Dell 2005FPW
Leopard 10.5.8 (Will be making the Snow Leopard switch sooner or later)

Applications:
Aperture 2.0 (maybe upgrading to 3.0, we'll see if the price is worth the features)
Adobe Photoshop CS4
Quark Express or possibly Indesign (haven't decided which yet)

This is for photo work, I have work from a New York trip that will eventually need to be printed, and I want it to look correct.

Yeap, know about Spyder. So basically that is now the defacto champion? I shouldn't bother looking at anything else then?

You're better off asking in the Displays forum, but I'm unaware of a better calibrator for the Mac.

I have a xrite i1 display 2. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...One_Display_2_Colorimeter.html#specifications I've always heard better things about it then the spyder line. I had a spyder2. I like the i1 software over that which the spyder2 used. You don't have to place the colorometer in the middle of the screen with the i1. You can place it on the side and the software will detect where it is. That way you can mess with the OSD controls of the monitor without it interfering with the measurement. Also the i1 is DDC compatible which means you can hook it up to supported monitor and it will in essence calibrate itself. My current monitor doesn't support this but I'm saving up my pennies for a NEC 2690WUXi2 which does. I don't think the spyder 3 supports DDC, but don't quote me on that.

Last edited:
I have a xrite i1 display 2. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...One_Display_2_Colorimeter.html#specifications I've always heard better things about it then the spyder line. I had a spyder2. I like the i1 software over that which the spyder2 used. You don't have to place the colorometer in the middle of the screen with the i1. You can place it on the side and the software will detect where it is. That way you can mess with the OSD controls of the monitor without it interfering with the measurement. Also the i1 is DDC compatible which means you can hook it up to supported monitor and it will in essence calibrate itself. My current monitor doesn't support this but I'm saving up my pennies for a NEC 2690WUXi2 which does. I don't think the spyder 3 supports DDC, but don't quote me on that.

You see x-rite is the other major one I was looking to have someone weigh in on. The new Spyder3 series seems to have some compelling features.

http://spyder.datacolor.com/learn_videos_studiosr_frank.php

I just need to find someone with experience with both, but it seems most have not.

You see x-rite is the other major one I was looking to have someone weigh in on. The new Spyder3 series seems to have some compelling features.

http://spyder.datacolor.com/learn_videos_studiosr_frank.php

I just need to find someone with experience with both, but it seems most have not.

If one of features you were talking about was the printer calibration that's not something I have any experience with. Any serious prints I want to have made I go though WHCC or Mpix. The i1 doesn't do printer calibration, but xrite does have packages where you can buy the i1 with their printer calibrator together. You need extra software with the spyder. I don't think the regular spyder pro comes with what you need for printer calibration. Xrite has does have the colormunki which does both monitor and printer calibration in the same piece of hardware, but I don't think you can get either anything for under $200 that will do printer calibration too.

Most of what I've seen from photographers they prefer the results of the i1, but I'm sure that's largely splitting hairs. I'm sure most people will be happy with the results from the spyder3. I was fairly happy with the spyder2, but I wanted a colorometer that supported DDC. After I got the i1 I was impressed by how the the software was easier to use. I don't know how much the software has changed with the spyder3 but I looks like you still have to place the unit in the center of the screen.

You're going to need a combination of a quality calibrator and software. Don't bother with the Spyder2, it's at least 5 year old technology and cannot deal with LED backlighting and wide gamut screens. The Spyder3 is worlds apart from the old version and is highly recommended.

Probably one of the single best software products out there is Coloreyes Display. If you want to do this right then that is the go to package. The offer a software bundle along with a Spyder3 puck for $299. A little more than you want to spend but it will get the job done correctly and it supports DDC.

http://www.integrated-color.com/cedpro/coloreyesdisplay.html

I have a new 27" iMac which is wide gamut and LED backlit and I thought my Spyder2 was doing a good job until I replaced it with the Spyder3. Wow. You could instantly see the light blue colour cast was being removed from the LED backlighting as the Spyder3 was capable of dealing with it. Your MBP is LED backlit so you'll notice a nice warming of the color palette when you calibrate it and optimize the white point.

Do a google search for coloreyes display reviews and you'll see how highly regarded this software is. They also sell the software as a download for $175 and you can get the new Spyder3 Express package for under a hundred bucks online so that can save you some money as well. The Express puck is the identical sensor to the Spyder3 pro but it doesn't have the ambient light sensor. No worries for me as I don't use the ambient light calibration so I opted for the Spyder3 Express. You can also download a free trial license from Coloreyes to test it out. Cheers!

P.S. You can also check out the user forums at Luminous Landscape. Head into the Color Management section but be prepared. These guys really know their stuff and the information can be a little overwhelming.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/

Another reason I like Coloreyes is that they also have their own user forum which is a great resource from a support perspective.

James

Interesting, this is a compelling option. I suppose $300 seems reasonable for it. As for Luminous Landscapes I have a lot of respect for that site, as it probably was the primary teaching aide to help me learn how to use dSLR's. This seems like the best option to go with, although it does seem strange that Sypder software isn't up to par, and/or isn't as good as third party software.

Stuff....

James

Interesting, this is a compelling option. I suppose $300 seems reasonable for it. As for Luminous Landscapes I have a lot of respect for that site, as it probably was the primary teaching aide to help me learn how to use dSLR's. This seems like the best option to go with, although it does seem strange that Sypder software isn't up to par, and/or isn't as good as third party software.

I'm not sure if it's up to par or not as I just don't use it. Heck, it might be just fine. I've played around with a few packages and Coloreyes just seems to be the goods and highly recommended by an awful lot of pros. There are also another couple of good programs for the Mac in iColor Display and BasicColor, but they seem to be awful difficult to source in North America and I don't think iColor has any support here. I've heard they're pretty capable though. I believe BasicColor is around 100 Euros so they're competitive and they offer a trial license as well.

Personally, I'd grab the Spyder 3 Express puck which you can find for around $80ish online and then download the Coloreyes eval and try for yourself. If it doesn't work for you then you can try other software with the puck or try the included software. Don't think you'll go far wrong either way as that sensor is a bargain for that kind of money in my opinion. Good Luck!

James

Back