Best haswell mobo?

more then likely Asus judging by some of what I have read on the little "tricks" they will be doing and some they have patented

Hard to tell right now but I'm looking forward to MSI Mpower Z87 and Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H, both should offer good performance and value for over clockers and gamers.

more then likely Asus judging by some of what I have read on the little "tricks" they will be doing and some they have patented

agreed with this.. :) no way to go wrong with ASUS... hope to see a Sabertooth Z87 <3...

It's gonna happen (Sabertooth Z87, that is). It's also going to have a baby brother (Gryphon Z87) for the mATX crowd.

Evidence here - http://www.asus.com/us/News/feYpqpUPjJJzJcoJ

Read TuF means sabertooth <3, if they make a sabertooth z87 with the "thermal armor" like the z77 and the golden theme.. i'll for sure will upgrade to haswell xD.. And not upgrade my bro's pc.. XD just give mine to him....

Looks horrible, like a modern car engine, a plastic cover which makes it look like a vacuum cleaner, then they charge you premium for it.

I'll pass.

I'm more interesed in the offerings from Asrock and Gigabyte.:)

just likes.. sincerely i love how the mobo look.. it just make a big difference compared to the awful blue desing on most mobo of Gigabyte.. i like some asrock.. but only high-end mobo as most of the mid lower end are just cheap horribles mobos... the "thermal armor" on the sabertooth make a pretty difference and look very nice on big and robust cases, more even with clean WC loops.. well.. just a matter of likes.. :).. but.. i'd love to see a full white themed mobo... that could make look great my stored Corsair C70 White with white tubing for the Custom WC kit.. just great to imagine..

Gigabyte, imo. I'm impressed with every board I've seen from them thus far (z87). Asrock and MSI have some solids looking ones, as well.

Coming from a long time Asus user, I've been somewhat underwhelmed with their upcoming motherboards.

I think the best 200ish board is more important then best overall board. Think that price bracket will be the Gigabyte OC or the cheaper Asus RoG board depending on how it gets priced

Too early to tell, but the Gigabyte boards seem very impressive, especially the OC ones. I'm also a fan of MSI boards, too bad they're ditching the blue color scheme though. Actually, it seems like everyone ditched the blue color scheme for Haswell. I have yet to see a blue Haswell motherboard.

On a side note, I just found MSI's fast boot utility, took off a good 5-7 seconds off my boot time, and it's compatible with Windows XP through 8 (with .Net Framework 4).

my eyes are on that msi mpower board.

im interested in that built in headphone amp

one question, why you are thinking on z87 mobo when you know that is not significant the change?

Not everyone is upgrading from Ivy Bridge. There are plenty of people on the first gen i7, and even people on Core2Duos that may look to upgrade.

Plus there are people that just want to have the latest and greatest no matter what it is.

I've been staying away from the red theme from asus for a while, I kinda just gave up when I got the Maximus IV Extreme-Z. I don't think haswell will be much of a performance upgrade from IB.

Not everyone is upgrading from Ivy Bridge. There are plenty of people on the first gen i7, and even people on Core2Duos that may look to upgrade.

Plus there are people that just want to have the latest and greatest no matter what it is.

And thanks to MicroCenter launch-pricing sanity, I may have to rethink passing on Haswell (upgrading from Q6600). i5-4670K + ASRock Z87 Extreme4 (basically the LGA1150 version of the Z77 Extreme4) is $319.98 before tax (bundle price); I could substitute the ASUS Z87-A and take $10 off that. Both boards support SLI (though I've not only been a single-GPU sort, but AMD/ATI in that department) - the driver for the planned upgrade isn't tall overclocking, but Hyper-V more than anything else. I don't need the C5/C6 support (as it is, I either shut the system down completely OR, if I want to keep the system updated, I'll let it update at 0300 - in that case, it runs all night). It would be the first time in almost two decades that I jumped into a new platform within six months of launch, and the first time EVER within the first week.

I've been staying away from the red theme from asus for a while, I kinda just gave up when I got the Maximus IV Extreme-Z. I don't think haswell will be much of a performance upgrade from IB.

True - the reason I'm considering it is twofold; no real price penalty going Haswell instead of Ivy Bridge (coming from the four-years-dead LGA775 Q6600), and AVX2 and AES-NI support going forward (neither is supported in LGA1155). Tall overclocks aren't an issue (I had planned on staying well below the Ivy heatwall due to lack of benefit; from the benchmark reports from Kyle, there's even less reason to go that tall with Haswell, not to mention a monster heatwall that is at least as bad, if not worse). If you have a four-digit Intel LGA, I'd suggest staying put - however, things have gotten dicey if you have LGA775 or older and live near either MC or TigerDirect, as they may actually be reason to keep Haswell in the mix, despite the poor overclocking, even compared to Ivy Bridge.

Back