Best headphones for $200~

Gavinni

Limp Gawd
Currently i have the z5500's for my speakers but i find myself using headphones a lot more simply because of the fact that im still a high school student and living with my parents. I have the zalman 5.1's right now (/killself i know) and am looking for the best sound quality i can get for gaming and music for around 200 bux, so if theres something a ton better for like 220 then list that as well, but something in the 200 dollar price range. Audio is probably the only thing i dont really know that much about when it comes to computers so any help would be awesome.

If amps aren't your thing, I'd go for Audio Technica ATH-a500 which will run $110ish shipped off Audiocubes. Very efficient and all-around performer, great for games.

HD 580'S best bang for the buck..Used the 580's for sometime and nothing else came close in that price range, any type of amplification helps them.

audio-technica a900s are amazing. Have them now and still get a smile everytime I listen to them.

I'd second the AT900 for the $200 cap. If you can squeeze a few more bucks though, you might look to getting a used set of Senn HD595 or mayhaps even a new set.

IdiotMD said:
I'd second the AT900 for the $200 cap. If you can squeeze a few more bucks though, you might look to getting a used set of Senn HD595 or mayhaps even a new set.

Yup, senn 595's are only 215$ on amazon.com atm.

I'll go with the A900s as well. Owning both the 580s and the A900s (as well as an amp easily sufficient to drive the former), the A900s are eminently more suited for gaming. They also seem to do well with pretty much any kind of music- the 580s stand out as exceptional sometimes, but other times (particularly with badly recorded things) are pretty mediocre.

What about Sennheiser HD 650? I see they have like 300 Ohm or something. Do they really need a high end amp to sound good?

aZn_plyR said:
you never mentioned what kind of music you want to listen to :p
Would prefer having good bass in the headphones, how does the bass in the 580's stack up with the 900's?

Sennheiser 595 are great for everything, and you can find them from Ebay stores for ~$160 + shipping.

paying over 200 for 595's is silly. Comp-U-Plus has them for 159$ new. I've purchased from them in the past with no problems.

if you like bass nothing beats the BeyerDynamic DT770's... great gaming headphones also

FLECOM said:
if you like bass nothing beats the BeyerDynamic DT770's... great gaming headphones also

But you need a nice amp to go with them. I wrote a mini review on the audio-technicas a while ago here it compares them with the beyers also.

I have a set of klipsch ultra 5.1's that has a headphone output -- am i correct in thinking that this is amplified output? Does anyone know if this would be enough to push 595's or the BeyerDynamic DT770's?

I also use the audio output on one of the speakers on my Klipsch 2.1s. I am running some Sony MDR-V900.

Gaming...

ATH-A900 or Beyer Dynamics DT990 / 80 Ohm

Other contenders
Sennheiser HD580 with an amp
Sennheiser HD595 (However the 580's on an amp would be better IMO)
Sennheiser HD600
Beyer Dynamic DT770 / 80 Ohm
Grado SR-225

All of these would be a good choice. Since gaming is the crux, I would go with the audio technica's or the Beyers on top. Both have very good positional audio. I think that may be the weakest piece on the HD580's as they are very open. The beyer though open is less. If you want lots of bass, the DT770 wins hands down, but the Audio Technica ATH-A900 is the runner up

where do you find that DT 990 PRO on 80 ohm. I only find them on 250 or 300?

oqvist said:
where do you find that DT 990 PRO on 80 ohm. I only find them on 250 or 300?

Guitar Center, the PRO version

It's still extremely subpar unamped though

So say a DT 990 without an amp is worse off then say a Sennheiser HD 555 without an amp? However with it´s better? How much difference without an amp does 80 ohm or 250 ohm versions do?

How much do these ohm thing handicap them. Can even 80$ headphones with 32 impedance beat the DT 990 PRO at 250 ohm?

I could consider getting the DT 990 PRO and then get an amp when I can afford it and have an idea what to get. I have absolutely no clue in this area. I just want headphones that I won´t have to change for a number of years to come :D

I find guitar center but they don´t sell any beyer stuff :(. I search and though it lists beyer there is no products for it when I search.

Arrrgh. I think I will settle for some DT 770 PRO. Games is generally quite bass heavy and it being closed does help my neighbours sleeping. And it being 80 ohm I should get quite much out of it even without an amplifier I hope

oqvist said:
Arrrgh. I think I will settle for some DT 770 PRO. Games is generally quite bass heavy and it being closed does help my neighbours sleeping. And it being 80 ohm I should get quite much out of it even without an amplifier I hope

When I listened to them on my Ipod, I had to turn the volume up all the way, and the sound was still low. A soundcard has similar output.

hmm okay so a Sennheiser 485 or 555? 580 doesn´t work I guess...

I hate this. Okay now I went with the Grado SR 80. Is these good for gaming?

oqvist said:
I hate this. Okay now I went with the Grado SR 80. Is these good for gaming?

Good headphones that don't need an amp to sound really good. Amping seems to help a bit on that lower end of Grado but nothing huge. iPods and the like are a pretty good match with those Grados as well. So, enjoy.

Deadlierchair said:
Good headphones that don't need an amp to sound really good. Amping seems to help a bit on that lower end of Grado but nothing huge. iPods and the like are a pretty good match with those Grados as well. So, enjoy.

Now I am considering the SR 60 however I am not sure they are price worthy. I guess they are more expensive in europe than in US because I can get Sennheisers 555 for the same price as the SR 80 or something.

However I guess the 555 does need an amp but have heard they are still better then the 497 without one.

But all I have heard about the Grado is that they are good for rock noone seem to use them for gaming or anything.

oqvist said:
Now I am considering the SR 60 however I am not sure they are price worthy. I guess they are more expensive in europe than in US because I can get Sennheisers 555 for the same price as the SR 80 or something.

However I guess the 555 does need an amp but have heard they are still better then the 497 without one.

But all I have heard about the Grado is that they are good for rock noone seem to use them for gaming or anything.

I went through this a few weeks back and ended up getting a pair of HD 555's for about $120. They are phenomenal and I personally love the way they sound in both music and games. I'm not an audiophile either. As for power, these can get WAY too loud just off my Z-680 headphone jack. They are 50 ohm.

If you want to drink from a fire hydrant of knowledge, feel free to stop by the headphone forums at head-fi HERE

1 more vote to HD595, I have a pair and they're seriously the most comfortable headphone I've ever had. That and they only have 1 line, and don't need much of an amp. best purchase evar! :)

Mysticcal said:
1 more vote to HD595, I have a pair and they're seriously the most comfortable headphone I've ever had. That and they only have 1 line, and don't need much of an amp. best purchase evar! :)

Rock on. I'm leaning towards a pair of these 595's, your post has pushed me to the brink :D Wish i could hear a set before i buy them :/

HD-595 owner here! There are two versions, 120ohm and 50ohm. The 50 ohm version is obviously easier to drive, and is also the newest version.

It is EASILY driven by my onboard nForce 2 sound.

Go with the Etymotic 4P. I got them at $330, and they are worth it. You can get them for $200 now if you look.

I'll say it one last time, there is no way you can get disappointed with the a900s. Big soundstage, great bass depth, and no huge gains from amplification. Drawbacks: size

Elderblaze said:
ATH900's good but 595's are better :D

disclaimer: it's all subjective.

I'll be using my headphones mainly for gaming plus listening to techno/trance. Would you say the 595's have a better or worse sound stage than the ATH900's? I'm split down the middle between the two..
I've got an amp in the form of my klipsch 5.1 ultra's (i think hehe)

However if the sennheiser is as open as people say I guess they aren´t optimal for gaming?

I know that open headphones you can get higher sound quality for the same price as closed ones but I am wondering if they can give that close experience that closed headphones gives you. I mean you hear absolutely nothing else then what you are supposed to hear :). My current one are closed and I do find it helps close the door on the world around me. I can have people talking 3 metres away from me I can´t hear them unless they shout. Mostly racing though and those GT car engines is quite loud :D

But I am only commenting on what other people tells me. Is it generally true that these faked 3d audio algorithms works better generally with closed headphones? Depending of course on what model in question?

I just got my X fi and I can hear the difference from the Audigy 2 in sound quality with my current headphones. It also does feel that running CMSS in 5.1 speaker mode (have 5.1 headphones) does increase the channel separation. Can´t wait to get my stereo headphones and run in CMSS3D mode to be able to make a real comparison :)

So you want these to be:
for gaming
closed
unampable if possible
plenty of bass
Choice would be simple for me: Audio Technica a900s

if you want to by an amp second choice would be any of the beyerdynamic pro versions in your price range (770,990...).

headless said:
I'll be using my headphones mainly for gaming plus listening to techno/trance. Would you say the 595's have a better or worse sound stage than the ATH900's? I'm split down the middle between the two..
I've got an amp in the form of my klipsch 5.1 ultra's (i think hehe)

I've heard nothing but bad things about the klipsch base and headphones.

Back