Best HSF for Prescott?

Treppiede

Limp Gawd
Gentlemen,
I am in the market for the best HSF for my Prescott 2.8 running on an 875PBZLK, my machine is running too hot.

I have started two threads (1, 2) in the past days but nobody seemed to care.

I've been analyzing every cooler on the P4 section of Plycon.com as well as all the 478-compatible coolers on NewEgg.com, but what I really need is a nice HSF roundup with the most recent 478 coolers in comparison.

I may be OCing in the future, but for now all I am looking for is a good aftermarket cooler that will bring my CPU down 8-12 degrees Celsius.

What do you personally reccomend me, and does any of you guys know of a URL where I can find a complete HSF review for 478 CPUs? I've searched but all I really found are single reviews.

Thanks in advance,

Walter

4b5eN+EE said:
GET THAT ONE... trust me...
Why do you like this one in particular? How much did it cool your CPU... any details?
Does anybody have experience with this unit?

Thanks again,

Walter

Zalman cpns 7000A-Cu simply the finest cooler you can get. Team it up with some Artic Silver 5. Check the Zalman website to make sure it fits your mobo (I believe it does) The all copper unit will help to keep the Prescott's temp to more acceptable levels without a problem and its really quiet to boot ! (I can't hear mine at all, and it runs full speed at all times !)
twajetmech

twajetmech said:
Zalman cpns 7000A-Cu simply the finest cooler you can get. Team it up with some Artic Silver 5. Check the Zalman website to make sure it fits your mobo (I believe it does) The all copper unit will help to keep the Prescott's temp to more acceptable levels without a problem and its really quiet to boot ! (I can't hear mine at all, and it runs full speed at all times !)
twajetmech

i second that...my load temps are about 60-64 degrees with the OC in my sig

Thanks everybody for your opinions. I am now keeping an eye on two coolers, the Thermaltake and the Zalman. I will be making a decision among these two within the next couple of days, if anobody has any other unit besides those please let me know.

HighwayAssassins said:
i second that...my load temps are about 60-64 degrees with the OC in my sig
I assume those are Fahrenheit degrees?

Thanks guys.

Walter

Well, I've got my 2.4C at 3.2 with my Zalman 7000Cu, and it keeps things nice and cool. As people have said, this thing is quiet, even at full speed. However, given my choice all over again, I would have gone with the 7000AlCu - you give up 1-2 degrees Celsius, but it also takes a lot of the weight off. Also, you won't go wrong with a Thermalright like the SP94. Anyway, just my $0.02.

-SEAL

4b5eN+EE said:

Treppiede said:
Why do you like this one in particular? How much did it cool your CPU... any details?
Does anybody have experience with this unit?

Thanks again,

Walter

I got mine in August for a 2.8E. It really does works to cool the Prescott. My temps were around 19C idle/ 29C, 30C load while overclocked@ 230FSB after install. Mileage may vary.
As mentioned, you need a roomy case since it's a vey large cooler, though only in regards to "height". I can access all componets around the board, memory etc. without the tower being in the way.
It's a bit labor intensive to install, but it's been doing a great job.

gl :)

Treppiede said:
I have started two threads (1, 2) in the past days but nobody seemed to care.
....some of us do care, Walter....:D Please don't cross post threads across multiple forums; one thread per subject in the most appropriate forum, please.....:cool:

Having said that, I have / had a Zalman CNPS7000 on my IC7-G. The temps rocked, but when I replaced the north bridge HSF with a Thermalright, the Zalman wouldn't fit anymore. I thought seriously about taking the trusty Dremel to the Zalman, but I was worried that I'd lay waste to those beautiful, thin fins.

I kept getting weird lockups, and found that the north bridge cooling was seriously lacking. The little Thermalright NB-1C is a hella good product. So good, in fact, that I put an Intel Cu OEM HSF on, leaving the Thermalright on the NB. No more stability issues.....but, the CPU temps are 5-7C warmer than they were with the Zalman. I've been looking at the Swiftech, and it looks like it will fit. I'll let you know later this week when it gets here.

Cliff's notes:
- The Zalman is a very, very good HSF for Prescott CPU's. Recommended IF it will fit. The Swiftech is another very high quality product, and has gotten great reviews.
- Do not take your eyes off the North Bridge fan. On Intel MoBo's......it seems that it runs quite hot and benefits from improved cooling.

Good luck - B.B.S.

Treppiede said:
I assume those are Fahrenheit degrees?

nope, sadly. Its about 60 degrees load and thats about as far as people say you shuold push it...the reason is because of my OC...i just kept upping the clock and vcore until i hit 60 degrees...the prescott throttles at 70 degrees, so i figgure staying 10 degrees shy of that is fine. Since my temp is so high, i have been wanting to switch to water cooling, but 1. that costs money, and 2. i wouldnt get it unless i could OC well into the 4.x range. but ahhh it would be nice to break the mighty 4.0 threshold.

Thanks everybody for the numerous replies, now I have too many recommendations! I shall read about each and everyone of them and make a decision. ;)

BlindedByScience said:
....some of us do care, Walter....:D Please don't cross post threads across multiple forums; one thread per subject in the most appropriate forum, please.....:cool:
BBS, I acknowledge the above and apologize for being impatient. I must admit that I was strongly undecided whether my post belonged to a Sub-Forum or the other, so I went ahead and tried to bring attention to the existing thread... hey, at least I was sincere about it, I didn't just open two identical threads. :D

Anyways, thanks for the detailed reply. I am especially thankful for bringing my attention to the NB, might as well cover all bases once the Mobo is out. As I had the chance to mention, I now have too many opinions, and it will take me a couple of days to do the necessary research and come up with a choice for my CPU. As far as case is concerned, I am not worried because I have an Alienware Dragon (Chieftec/Antec) which I got when I used to work there.

Thanks again, I will let you guys know what I chose before I order it.

Walter

I have a Thermaltake Jungle 512 that works very well with my 3.4 Prescott. That little bugger moves a lot of air.

get the huge (and light 300g) thermalright xp-120. with a vantec stealth fan. if you aren' ocing, this will give you around 45-50 degrees at load, as it uses a 120mm fan.
the fan is quiet too, as it is so large.
however does not fit all mobo, so check compatibility :D

Get thermalright, xp-90, or xp-120, or even hp-94, makes no difference, those are all good, and fairly priced. There are also some heatpipe towers you can get (just make sure it's not the Tt) Although they tend to be a bit bulky, and not fit in certain cases... same goes with xp-120, though.

BlindedByScience said:
...I've been looking at the Swiftech, and it looks like it will fit. I'll let you know later this week when it gets here.
It fits, and it rocks. A 92mm Panaflow cleared the Thermalright NB-1C and my CPU temps look like they did with the Zalman....now at 3.3 GHz...:D

A day or three and a few thermal cycles to bed the Ceramique HSF goop in, and let's see where we are.

....system sig adjusted appropriately....:cool:

Regards - B.B.S.

Thermaltake seems to prioritize looks in front of performance. So most of their products look really cool, but don't perform very well.

How are those of you using the XP-90 securing it to the mobo? I'm in dire need of alternate cooling options as well, as the stock hsf just ain't cuttin' it.

I e-mailed Thermalright today and discovered they recently created a bracket for installing their XP-90 & XP-120 on LGA775 boards... but vendors aren't carrying it yet (though it should be around later this week, supposedly).

Treppiede said:
Thanks for the update. What model Swiftech is it again... is it listed here?

Regards,

Walter
Walt - The Swiftech I'm currently running is the MCX-478V. I got it and this Panaflow 92mm fan from heatsinkfactory.com, as the egg was out of stock on the Swiftech, and didn't have the Panaflow listed.

Seems the combination of the Thermalright NB-1C and the Swiftech fit fine, and cool great. The 92mm fan seems to improve the air circulation in the whole case. I'd do it again, tomorrow.

Best Regards - B.B.S.

Thanks to everybody for the amount of info and recommendations!
This Thermaltake unit just went on sale on NewEgg and I think I am going with it. I have one last question: what fans do you recommend me to buy to go with the dual fan setup on this unit?

Thanks again,

Walter

That's a great link man, thanks a lot. I guess I'll go bother those guys now. :)

Walter

I too have a Zalman. And while it's a good cooler and quiet, if you're overclocking there are better. The Thermalright SP94 for example. The Thermaltake Tower 112 looks badass, but I've never seen any actual tests done on it. So who knows? It looks like it would do the job though.

I too have a Zalman. And while it's a good cooler and quiet, if you're overclocking there are better. The Thermalright SP94 for example. The Thermaltake Tower 112 looks badass, but I've never seen any actual tests done on it. So who knows? It looks like it would do the job though.

What about the Zalman 7700Cu??

If you can still get them, get an SP-94. The BEST hands down no bs air cooler when teamed with a good high-flow 92mm. Beats XP-90, 7000cu/alcu, hyper 6 and XP-120(unless you bolt a 2amp delta on it :p) pretty much every time. You'll get the lowest temps and highest overclocks with the 94. Can't get them anymore in Aus :(

The 7700 is the most stupid cooler available at the moment because it doesnt use a mount-through system. The Hyper 6 could get away with weighing more than most large paperweights because of its system of bolting to the mobo. If the 7700 used a system like the SP-94 (which is awesome) then i'd recommend it after the 94.

Thanks again guys.
Hey I have 2 more questions:

- What happened to FrostyTech? Most of the links on their site (like Forums and Search) are dead...
- If I were to get the Thermalright tower and wanted to use the two fan exhaust combination, which fans would you recommend me for high flow and not too crazy db?

My dilemma has been going on forever and I must buy a solution by the end of this week so I can play games during the holidays.

Many thanks,

Walter

Treppiede said:
- What happened to FrostyTech? Most of the links on their site (like Forums and Search) are dead...
- If I were to get the Thermalright tower and wanted to use the two fan exhaust combination, which fans would you recommend me for high flow and not too crazy db?
Thanks,

Walter

I use an Xp90 on my prescott and a sp94 on my northwood. These heatsinks look great and work fantastic. I pair them with Enermax 92mm adjustable fans. In the winter I turn them down, in the summer I turn them up, easy as pie.

Heatsink = thermalright xp-120 (with pananflo 120mm = medium noise and cfm, 3.2ghz, overcloked to 3.8ghz, 48c at load)

Fan = For OC, Delta Focused Flow 120mm (190cfm, but 52db)
For cool, but quiet = Vantec 120mm stealth

this is a great loking, great performing, and light (335g), as opposed to 950g zalman 7700.

however, check for mobo compatibility on thermalright.com

Nah those other coolers are way to freaking large. Get the Thermaltake Pipe101 with a Vantec Tornado 92mm fan. Its a bit loud, but cools the cpu's by far the best. I even had a Thermaltake Spark 7 and it kept my shit so cold. On idle with a 2.4C@ 3.4Ghz i got 78F on idle and 98-102F on load. So go with the pipe101, cant go wrong. plus it just looks awesome

Back