Best LCD for ~$200?

I just got a Gateway FPD1975W from Best Buy. They've been marked down to $229. I got mine for about $170 (30% off coupon).

I had to return the first one because of backlight bleeding, but the one I got now is good. Overall, I'm very impressed with this LCD over the others in its price range. The color reproduction is much higher quality than all the TN panels at this price range that I have seen.

Scyles said:
I just got a Gateway FPD1975W from Best Buy. They've been marked down to $229. I got mine for about $170 (30% off coupon).

I had to return the first one because of backlight bleeding, but the one I got now is good. Overall, I'm very impressed with this LCD over the others in its price range. The color reproduction is much higher quality than all the TN panels at this price range that I have seen.

ive been looking all over for some reviews of this monitor! tested a lot of games/dvd's on it yet?

I played NFS: Most Wanted with good results. My only complaint was that the light bloom was a little more intense than I remember it being on my CRT, and this monitor does not have 1:1 aspect ratio scaling.

Oblivion was not so good, however. Outdoors was fine, even at night, but inside dark caves was not good at all. The detail in dark areas is lost, black is just black and there is very little discernable detail in these dark areas.

Coming from a Samsung 913n, this monitor seems terrific. The 913n had horrible dithering - any effects like smoke or clouds had very blotchy color, the Gateway doesn't have this problem.

I have been watching a lot of DVD's and there is no shimmering or "sparklies" that other LCD screens have problems with. There are problems, however. When light is shining on an actor's face, it takes on a kind of pinkish hue. Actors with pale complexions look worse than those with darker skin. Basicly, the dithering effect is very smooth, but you can tell there is a loss of color depth.

I'd rate the monitor like this:
Desktop use - very good
Gaming - pretty good, but not for dark games
DVD's - satisfactory

For the price I paid, its an excellent value. It is much better than the other TN screens I've seen in this price range. The EZ Tune software for color calibration is an absolute must. The settings out of the box are horrible, but once its calibrated its not bad at all.

Smititty said:
MORE INPUT!

What size are you looking for? What are your uses?

For my dad. The bigger the better. RTS games.

For an LCD in that price range, is it better to buy one from a brick and mortar store or online?

Back