Best mini case for fileserver (need 3 5.25")

Fryguy8

[H]ard|Gawd
So I've been running a Stacker with 2 supermicro 5-in-3s for a while now, and I'm downsizing because I realize that I only need one of them. I'm also buying some new hardware (switching to ZFS so I want a machine that let's me have 4gb of ram).

What are some good small, quiet cases that have 3 external 5.25" bays that will fit a supermicro 5-in-3? That's really the only requirement. Micro-atx or mini-itx is fine.

My coolermaster is in the back of my closet now because:

1. It's big
2. It's loud

It would be nice to just have a small mini thing (like, drobo-sized) to sit on my desk or on top of my main pc instead.

I went mini-tower route, holds 8 HDD's and leave me a open 5.25 inch. Keeping saying I'm going to put an external LCD thing to monitor temps and what not in the other bay, but never do. Lian Li A59B, Its full ATX which is nice for bigger boards and if i ever re-deploy as something other than a server.

server004.jpg

Would prefer something smaller than that, especially in the depth department.

Small NAS server? Netgear and a few others make them now, and they are cheap.

Neither of those have 3 external 5.25" bays.
As to the previous poster, I'm looking for a case, not a NAS.

I thought I'd made myself pretty clear as to what I wanted. Apparently not.

-Mini-ITX or MicroATX
-3 or more external 5.25" bays.
-As small and quiet as possible.

The only drawback to the really small cases are the PSU's that come with them. some of them are proprietary and can be hard to find a replacement.

Norco DS-520
- Intel Celeron 1GHz
- 1GB RAM
- Dual Gig-E
- eSATA, USB, etc..

norco_front.jpg

norco_back.jpg

Tranquil PC SQA-5H
- Atom 330 Dual Core
- 2GB RAM
- eSATA, USB, etc.

sqa_main1.jpg

0191.jpg

ooo i just came across the tranquil bb2 and was lookin for pics of the inside... i wonder if i can replace that itx with one that has 4x internal sata and then attach an esata w/port multiplier on it...
i like the case... thanks for this internal pic... is there more pics of the insides somewhere?

Back