Best Mini/Micro ITX IGP solution for HTPC?

Best IGP Solution

• Total voters

mkygod

Limp Gawd
What do you think is the best IGP solution for a mini/micro ITX system?

Factors to consider

- Video quality and performance
- Available Board features
- Power Efficiency
- CPU options

I would say the i3/i5 clarksdale because they support Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA bitstreaming over HDMI

I agree. I have heard of a refresh bug, but I don't know too much about it, other than it irritates some people. Otherwise, I'd go for the AMD 8xx chipset, then the nVidia 9xxx chipset, then I might consider an Intel GMA X4500HD.

OP: there are no i7 CPU, yet, with the Intel GMA HD. Only Pentium, i3, & i5 Clarksdale CPU have it.

The i3/i5 has a bug in it that doesnt allow it to do true 23.976fps; only 24fps. Its the only thing preventing me from getting it. Anyone know about this?

Because its small & HTPC I Voted the 880 over the i3 because of the 45w dual & quad core CPU's that dont cost 300+ like intel's do.

Compare:
45w AMD Quad - Memory Mobo Cpu Shipped total of 345
73w Intel i5 Dual - Memory Mobo Cpu Shipped total is 341

Between the 2 the AMD is using a better quality Mobo with much more Features & The CPU has 4 real cores & Puts off alot less heat.

& The arguement could be made about using an i3 instead of an i5 to cut cost (saves about 65), but you can also use the AMD Athalon 2 x2 240e which would still give you a 45w tdp & cut 66 in cost..

Either way I think that AMD has the better products for HTPC right now.

Cost and does not have the 23.976 bug The 880 rules the roost especially when paired with a highly binned 45W CPU.

Yeah except you need to add a 5000 series video card to bitstream HD audio. :rolleyes:

Did that stop you when you recommended Onboard Nvidia solutions in the past?

Bitstreaming is only required for SOME effects on REALLY REALLY expensive Receiver systems. In such cases I HIGHLY doubt the questions would be asked here instead of AVSforum or at all anyway as those who know how to work those features on their 800 USD Reciever likely already know their mobos.

And if Bitstreaming is STILL wanted spending the extra money for a passive 5 series card allows ANY semi-modern mobo/CPU choice as long as it has the PCI-E 16 slot needed. So that is not a handicap regardless.

And even if it were In my opinion the framerate issue is FAR worse. With many reports of noticing the jitter.

Did that stop you when you recommended Onboard Nvidia solutions in the past?
Of course not since NV's board supports 7.1 LPCM HD audio which is way more then the 2.0 audio that the AMD chipsets support. :rolleyes:
Bitstreaming is only required for SOME effects on REALLY REALLY expensive Receiver systems. In such cases I HIGHLY doubt the questions would be asked here instead of AVSforum or at all anyway as those who know how to work those features on their 800 USD Reciever likely already know their mobos.
Yeah, the $200 receiver I have in no way supports 7.1 LPCM HD audio... oh, wait! It does! :rolleyes:
And even if it were In my opinion the framerate issue is FAR worse. With many reports of noticing the jitter.
No problems at all with my setup playing back Blu rips I've made. I really hate making that generalisation but that's exactly what you've done as well. For every person that has had that issue 100+ more haven't. It all comes down to what you're doing, how you're going about it and if you really know what you're doing.

So, yeah, I'd rather have an HTPC that is as streamlined as possible. As energy efficient as possible and uses the least amount of power while doing what I want/need of it. AMD's IGP offers none of that if all it supports is 2.0 audio over HDMI.

Honestly, that's just plain pitiful compared to NV and even Intel's HTPC oriented abilities in this age. I had hoped that the 800 series would have finally brought this feature in considering that they've supported 5.1 HD audio since their 2000 series.

CE There is no reason to be so hostile. I had been told that the new 8 series northbridges from AMD HAD 7.1 LPCM. That is what I based my info from. I was NOT trying to mislead or say 2 Channel LPCM is acceptable. I was trying to say 7.1 LPCM instead of bitstreaming is the same and acceptable.

However I went and googled it and now I cant say for sure so I withdraw that part of my recommendation. Some sites say yes it does and others say no.

CE There is no reason to be so hostile.

That's Crim being nice :) He does have that specific custom title for a reason.

Anyway, yeah I also read somewhere (can't for the life of me remember where it was) stating the the 880G chipset did support 8.1 audio. But yeah, gonna assume it's still 2.0 audio until said otherwise.

That's Crim being nice :) He does have that specific custom title for a reason.

Anyway, yeah I also read somewhere (can't for the life of me remember where it was) stating the the 880G chipset did support 8.1 audio. But yeah, gonna assume it's still 2.0 audio until said otherwise.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2952
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2010/03/02/amd-890gx-and-sb850-chipset-review/1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Video_Decoder

There were a few sites who published their reviews of the chipset with incomplete info or just plain assumptions as to what the IGP was capable of. Some corrected this (the good sites) and the lazy ones just left it. Now, the big rumor before the 800 series was released was that it would have finally included bitstreaming support.... And it didn't.

So yeah, Zachstar, yet again make sure you've got the correct idea of what hardware is really capable of before trying to place it on a pedestal. Oh, and it helps if you actually have a 880G board or just experience with one. ;)

Aside from the clock bump, a few nice added feature upgrades it's pretty much just a fancier 780G but (frustratingly) without adding support for the one damn thing I wanted most! Grrrr.

And yeah, what are you talking hostility? You said something that was factually wrong/stupid and I called you on it. If that's "hostile" then burn me at the stake as a "witch."

Last edited:
Seriously, there is no "best option" for an HTPC right now. The best you can do is plan for the worst; Intel's IGP has some issues in some, certain situations while NV doesn't support anything more recent beyond the socket 775 chips.

Your best bet is to go Intel with an i3/5 board, try it with your setup and if things are peachy then it's all smiles. If not, pick up a 5550 AMD video card to replace it. Bam! There's your answer. :)

All you had to do was point to a single site that had the info showing it to be 2 channel. You know darn well I would never seriously recommend a 2 channel system so your mess of Rolleyes ended points were needless. Nobody here would recommend a 2 channel unless it is absolutely vital.

As for choice what suddenly is wrong with 775? If one can get a cereron and a 9300 board they can save a mess of money. And last I checked did not have the framerate issue. You have recommended Nvidia chipsets a number of times in the past. Is the power savings really worth the cost?

The Core i3 are nice options. I didn't have time to build a whole htpc for my dad since he's in Maine and I'm in Virginia so i had him order a Lenovo Ideacenter H320. Worked out extremely well for the $530 it cost.

I probably would have voted i3 if I needed BR playback (I use my ps3 for that, and convert everything to mkv anyway for storage). I opted for the 9400 series simply because I've been really happy with my Ion setup and do not have experience with the current AMD offering. The power consumption is very low and the system is passively cooled so it's silent. It has no problems playing back 1080p mkv's of high bitrate or recording simultaneous 1080i content while streaming to extenders. If I had to do it again I would definitely consider the i3 route to have a little more cpu power for more responsive menus.

After writing this I realize I should have voted i3 :p

Last edited:
Back