Best NEC IPS Display for Pro Photog....

NikonGuy25

n00b
Hello all. I have been reading many many posts here the past few days. I am trying to find the best NEC Monitor I can purchase for under or around $1,000.00(US). I want an IPS display but dont know which to choose.. I have been looking at the following...

NEC MultiSync LCD2490WUXi
NEC MultiSync LCD2690WUXi

The Double Sight DS-265W also caught my eye, but seems to have mixed reviews.

I dont really care about added features. Im a pro photographer and just need it for the best color representation I can find, for my editing. I will also be using it for a movie every once in awhile.

Ive also read here and elsewhere that the NEC 20WGX2 is still regarded as the best monitor in its class. Would that still be worth getting now? Id like to get something from 20" to 26" in WS. I do like the idea of having the option of tilting to portrait mode but its not a deal breaker.

Am I asking too much to find all of this for under a grand? What would you all suggest? This will be my first "pro" monitor as I have been using a crappy Dell dekstop monitor for the past 4-5 years, which has finally crapped out on me. So this is all a bit overwhelming.

A friend of mine suggested I look at the BenQ FP241W but I cant seem to find a respected online dealer to purchase it. Plus, Id like to stick with NEC, dont ask me why, it just seems they seem to be one of the best brands.

Please, any suggestions on a great IPS Display will be very much appreciated! I apologize if this is a pretty basic question amongst "noobs" but I really am kinda lost here and dont want to throw down this kind of money and now know what I am getting!

Thank you so much!

The two NEC monitors you listed are the best for color accuracy.

If you are working with the AdobeRGB color space, get the NEC LCD2690WUXi².
If you need something closer to sRGB, get the NEC LCD2490WUXi.

The DoubleSight DS-265W doesn't have backlight control, so unless you want it very bright, I wouldn't recommend it. If it weren't for that, it would probably be a decent choice.

The NEC 20WMGX2 is not a pro monitor, but it's a nice glossy S-IPS monitor.

Brand usually means nothing in the LCD world, but NEC does have some of the best models out there.

Check out this thread at the Adobe forums : Current monitor recommendations
Notice the first 2 posts (you might have to click "Show All Messages"). Nothing much has changed in a year, so the information is still valid. Your choice of 2490 or 2690 is excellent (I have only seen the 2690 SV and MultSync; in Europe we have no 2490) and decision making between the two will probably depend on the colour space of your source (input) and target (output) material, sRGB or aRGB.
I'm sure you already know this, aRGB is mostly used as the colour space in source material of colourful subjects, like beauty, fashion, food.
The target colour space could of course be either.
So it probably depends on what source material you work with most.
If your main workflow is from aRGB to sRGB and not for press, you could get both the 2690 and 2490. Photoshop will only use the profile of the main monitor when colour managing.
You could then edit in aRGB, save to sRGB, and open the sRGB image on the second monitor in Bridge, Lightroom, or other viewer to compare against the aRGB image.

Maybe PS CS4 will take into account the secondary monitor's profile when colour managing. I haven't checked. Upto v3.3 it didn't.

Thanks for all the replies, they are a great help! I shoot in sRGB and my lab requires the images to have an imbedded sRGB profile.

How does the Samsung 245T compare? Someone said its got the same specs for half the price?

I cannot comment on the 24"Samsung and NEC monitors.
Never seen them.
Don't forget to take into consideration that the 245T is wide gamut, and that the 2490 is sRGB.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1286039
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1355595
LCD 24'': Iiyama B2403WS, Samsung 245T @ behardware.com
EDIT:
from the conclusion at behardware.com said:
The Samsung 245T should please professional photographers on the condition that they have a good calibrator and the eye to fine tune parameters. It’s just too bad that Samsung didn’t pre-calibrate its monitor and that the MPA function is so inefficient.
Personally, I wouldn't bother with the 245T. You don't get a full hardware calibration.
You can turn the 2490 into a SpectraView model at anytime. SpectraView II software
You will aso need to buy one of the Supported Sensors (Let the page position.)
And when necessary you could get the monitor hood.

If you're serious about your job, and your budget permits, go straight for the SpectraView models. If you're US based, they are dirt cheap everywhere, compared to Europe.

I've seen and used the European SV model of the 2690, it would be perfect if it were 30 inch and had a 2560x1600 resolution. It also uses different software.

EDIT 2 :
:)I expect albovin anytime now.:p

I do live in the US and I would really like to keep my budget around $800 but I really like the NEC. I can get my hands on a Spyder from a fellow photographer, so maybe the Samsung might be a better fit? I do want the best for my money and something I wont have to replace in 4 years. If spending 1 grand on an NEC will be WELL worth it over models in the $700 range, then I will do it. I dont want to be kicking myself in the ass a year from now. If the NEC didnt have that hefty price tag, Id already have purchased the NEC, thats the only thing making me rethink things.

I don't know what your current monitor situation is. If they are still bareable, you could try to save up the extra US$500 for the SV 2490 in a reasonable time. That would be the better solution.
You'll have a perfectly/sufficient calibrated monitor in no time to get on with your work.
Whatever you do, don't make a rush decision. Your estimate of 4 years of usage only emphasizes this.
If you were also upgrading parts of your box, try to postpone and spend the money on the monitor.
If you're annoyed about what your looking at now, that should be a hint not to cut corners this time (again).
2690 is rare in LCD monitor land. The 2490 is even better if you may belief some of its owners on this board.

Currently I'm also waiting. To see what HP comes up with on the 30" front to replace the discontinued LP3065.
I'm prepared to wait until the end of Q1 2009. Otherwise I pull the trigger on any of the other 30" monitors which fit my workflow best and makes me compromise the least.

Thanks for all your iput, ITG. Its really a big help. I stated my current monitor situation is not that good as its pretty much crapped out. I get color shifts after calibrating, and I have a constant light yellow band across the bottom of the screen. I am unable to do any photo work until I get a new monitor, as the color outputs on this one, result in much different colored prints from the lab.

Its startin to look like I will get the 2490SV but dam, I wish there was a way to pay a few hundered less than current pricing! LOL!

Well, because you have to buy now, it's not getting any easier.
Just make sure that you don't get yourself into financial shite for anything.
If it's for work, shouldn't it be tax deductable ?

Well, its over... finally! LOL. Just purchased the 2490-SV from Newegg for $1270.00. Will have it mid week. Thank to all fo you that took time to read and reply to my questions. It really is appreciated! Thank you!

Good thing I am the owner of my photography business, now I dont need to explain buying such an expensive monitor to anyone! :-D

Oh, and yes, I plan on writing it off when I file.

I agree with InToGraphics, for sRGB work the NEC 2490 has no match. But if you are trying to keep the price under $1000, you do have one other option. The Apple Cinema Display 24" for $899. Apple displays are a solid build and last I read are still sRGB displays.

Well, its over... finally! LOL. Just purchased the 2490-SV from Newegg for $1270.00. Will have it mid week. Thank to all fo you that took time to read and reply to my questions. It really is appreciated! Thank you!

Good thing I am the owner of my photography business, now I dont need to explain buying such an expensive monitor to anyone! :-D

Oh, and yes, I plan on writing it off when I file.
Good luck with it. Or you might consider the ACD 24" Luthorcrow suggests. I totally forgot about Apple. And I believe that even their 30"monitors are still sRGB. Not too sure though.
Keep in mind though, that you will forfeit full hardware calibration when you take the Apple route.
Anyway, good luck with your purchase and don't forget to enjoy it everyday.

And here I thought this was the end of it.. silly me...

Its come to my attention that I may need to upgrade my graphics/video card now that I have gotten a better monitor? I currently have the factory card that came with my Dell Dimension 4400, which is an ATi Rage128 Ultra 16MB Will I need to upgrade? If so, what are your suggestions? And what will this cost me? This is one thing I know nothing about.

Thanks again for the help and patience with me!!

EDIT: Ok, have done a little reading and it seems the Matrox Parhelia cards are highly regarded. Would you agree? And again, do I need to get a new one to get the most out of the NEC Monitor?

Great choice with the 2490. I bought mine about a month ago. My first one had some issues but NEC advanced shipped me a new one at no cost to me. Great customer service.

You should not need a new video card unless your gaming.

.......... EDIT: Ok, have done a little reading and it seems the Matrox Parhelia cards are highly regarded. Would you agree? And again, do I need to get a new one to get the most out of the NEC Monitor?
The graphics card you have now, is it the one with AGP out only ?
Does it support 1920x1200 res @32bit ?
If it does, I guess that it will do, but you're pushing it with the video RAM.
Check the system requirements (graphics card in this case) of your software also.
Remember that PS CS3 and CS4 require modest 3D acceleration.

Now I feel really dumb! I have no idea how to check for all teh questions you just asked me. Here is the Specifications for my type of computer...

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4400/

Doesnt seem very helpful. I have upgraded the RAM to 1.5GB, which was DDR. Dells website suggested a few grhapics card for the 4400. Here is the one that looks the best to me, and most failry priced.... http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...=19&sku=A1586540&mfgpid=121788&chassisid=8201

i dont know what type I need, it seems there are 2 different types? PCI and AGP? Is this correct? How do I find which type Ill need? I have a feeling mine would be PCI, although thats just a guess.

FWIW, I contacted NEC Support and they said the following...

Dear Jay,

Thank you for contacting NEC Display Solutions customer service & support.

You should probably up grade to a card with at least 128mb of on board RAM. Most ATI and Nvidia cards being sold currently with 128mb+ will be fine for this monitor.

Thank you for taking the time to write, please do not hesitate to contact us in the future.

Sincerely,
(Named snipped)

This is so confusing. If the card I posted a link to is a good card, and will work with my PC, I may just go with that. Thank you so much for all the help with my problems!!!

You're better off getting any one of these video cards rather than that overpriced PCI card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048 1069609639&name=AGP 4X/8X

I'm pretty sure you have an AGP 4X slot.

Thanks for the reply.. is there any way I can find out if I have an AGP slot? Can I open up the tower and look somewhere?

I keep sounding more dumb with each post! LOL

EDIT: Ok, I guess I do have an AGP 4x/2x slot. I have looked at the link provided in the above post and came up with this card...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129126

This card is 8x/4x, will that matter? And will this be a good card?

Yes, that card is just fine. It has a DVI connector so you can use a digital signal instead of the VGA you've been using. The card maker, Visiontek, also has lifetime warranties on all it's video cards if that helps.

Tell Dell to go play with themselves. The card you're linking is a PCI card and will not do.
You need an AGP 4x graphics card, with 128MB+ VRAM, and DVI-I or DVI-D port.
You will also need a DVI-D cable.
The graphics card section is your first stop to ask.
Check out the video card section at PriceGrabber to get an idea.
The HD2400 Pro AGP 8X card on that page is only US$44.85. Compare that to the US$127.99 Dell is asking.
It's the same card that you link to at newegg I believe.
Don't forget to tick AGP, DVI and 129MB to 512MB in the menu on the left at PriceGrabber.

Thank you! Ill go purchase this now... wonder if I call newegg if they can add it to my monitor shipment!

Everything has been bought and paid for and should be on my doorstep Thursday! Whooo hoooo LOL

Thanks to all of those that took the time to help me on this thread, it was a big, big help!!

My next purchase... Nikon D3!! LOL

Back