Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Smithfield

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Prestonia

Votes: 7 3.6%

• Total voters

54YW4T

[H]ard|Gawd
Which do you think was or is the Best Overclocking Core Ever Made?

Other thread was crap so i made a new one.

what ever happened with the "CLAWHAMMER" I think my FX55 (clawhammer) is good.

newls1 said:
what ever happened with the "CLAWHAMMER" I think my FX55 (clawhammer) is good.
*think*, there were many many other cores that raped the clawhammer. and all the claw hammer could do was 300-400 mhz.

I have one of the 1700+ thoughbreds that overclocked like mad. 1.47Ghz->2.4Ghz is damn impressive IMO. $42 well spent :D

Still running in my 2nd box.

What about the mendocino core? I think average overclocks in the 50% range are better than any cores of the last few years.

1 ghz on a amd64 is great. Cant beat my Venice even thought my old 1700+ was pretty sweet running it a 2.3.

Northwood and Tbred are very good, but nothing quite compares to the early Mendocino celerons. With the 440BX (especially Abit motherboards) a simple BIOS setting to run at 100MHz FSB instead of 66Mhz and you could turn $100 chip into the fastest thing on the market. This was long before locked AGP/PCI busses and copper heatsinks, and before AMD had anything competitive performance wise. Almost every chip did 66% or more over rated speed with coolers similar to what's on a northbridge today. Overlooking it as an option seems silly.

Barton 2500+ to 3200+ guaranteed. With normal 400MHz RAM. On a NF7-S Ver.2.0

Prolly the easiest overclock ever. No water needed. Stock cooler with a lil' voltage increase no problem.

And the 2500+ Mobile barton I have running in a SN45G Ver. 2.0 Shuttle @ 2.5GHz (from 1.67?) is even more impressive.

axp mobiles can do alot, especially with water.
i have a 2600m, and honestly from 1.8 i am sure it could do 2.7-2.8 with water. easy.
usually im over .6 oc'ed unless its hot and its stable and barely ever over 40c.
zalman 7000.

Noobs , best one EVER made was the celeron 333, 100% overclock. :cool:

Try that with any of the ones listed, and good luck. :D

Way back in the caveman days I had a 16Mhz AMD 386 clone OCed to 33Mhz...a full 100%. Even more amazing is it had no heat sink or fan on it!

Voted prescott since its the only core right now (aside from Dothan) that can double its stock speed.

Your p4 2.4c is about the best oc'er generally with good ram you can hit around 3.5 ghz thats roughly a 50% oc

barton... definately. for me anyway.

I clocked my barton 2500+ to 2.6ghz.

Several months ago I saw a pentium M at 5ghz. Don't those start at like 2? So like a 150% oc? ;)

Northwood

Alot of great overclockers in the northwood family. 1.6A, 2.4C.

54YW4T said:
liquid nitrogen dont count! :mad:
no ln2, just a triple cascade.. though you didn't say anything about what cooling ;)

even so, i still vote clawhammer... it was one durable core, and if you got a good chip, it would fly

Voted Prestonia.

Best over clock i have ever had in my life.

2 1.6 LV Xeons @ 3.0

i expect the northwood to win :p my vote put it ahead of the rest :D

anyway, ive owned 3 northwood cores and they all overclock like crazy.

look in my sig and youll see that i hav a venice, which overclocks ok. had a barton which overclock well too and an athlon that overclocked well. but all in all, the northwood was the best.

(cf)Eclipse said:
no ln2, just a triple cascade.. though you didn't say anything about what cooling ;)

even so, i still vote clawhammer... it was one durable core, and if you got a good chip, it would fly

durable? Those cracked WAY easier than bartons.

Barton 2500+ to 3200+ guaranteed. With normal 400MHz RAM. On a NF7-S Ver.2.0

With the same mobo and RAM, I got my T-bred 1700+ from 1.47GHz to 2.31GHz, on air @ 1.65V!

That's an 845MHz overclock!

The Northwoods. The 2.4s could easily do 3 Ghz, even with stock cooling. My 2.4C got to 3.4 Ghz on stock voltage and 1:1 (267 Mhz FSB/memory).

The 2.6 and 2.8 chips had potential too. And of course, the 3.0s that could do 3.5-3.7.

I vote for mobile p4 celerons.
I have had 2 of these and they both overclocked very well in dektop boards.
my 1.86 would do 2.8 all day and my 1.8 would do 3.0.
thats 1.2 GHZ overclock on average.
And mobiles arent nuetered like desktop celerons.
best bang for the buck ever. paid 30 bux each for these.

the mobile bartons were pretty good. I got my IQYHA 1.8ghz mobile 2500+ up to 2.73 on air. 50% overclock. A lot of people went much higher.

People still fear my Thunderbird (original Athlon Socket A) overclocks. Depends on exactly what core you got but...
Green 750 @ 1.33GHz stable on air and stock volt. (Fab31 IIRC)
Purple 1GHz @ 1.4GHz stable (ran out of motherboard, sadly) on air and stock volt. (That Other Fab IIRC.)
I still have both of these. The TBird 750 was bought with a KT7-RAID about a week after release. That sonofabitch just will not find an upper limit. In a different board and with water, I suspect it could beat 100%. It was barely pushing 43C at 1.33GHz. (Waiting on class-action package from Abit.) The 1GHz is definitely more limited in it's potential, though. It was getting up to 52C on a CUD725, and occasionally whining, though that might have been capacitor failure.
I may have to see just how far I can go after I get them back; I cheat by way of using ethernet and SCSI cards that isolate their own PCI buses. So long as the i960 or IOP isn't complaining about the 38MHz PCI bus, they're kosher. The sensitive bits are clocked by the card themselves at 33 or 66.
'Course, there is something to be said for my old K6/3-450 that ran 600 on a +.2V with water. (4.5 x 133) :D

I voted northwood. No other core that I've seen overclocks so *universally* well. Sure some DUT3C tbreds can pull 1ghz overclocks, and some nice venice steppings can pull 1ghz overclocks. But in general, I think northwood. Practically any northwood (except some of those crappy 2.6C steppings) will go very far with little voltage increases. I've seen a 1.7A at 3.4--that's 100%. I've taken a 2.0A to 2.9. I took a 2.2A to 2.8. I currently am messing with another 2.0A that is at 2.8 with stock voltage, too bad the ram is holding it back. I've never used a northwood that was a dud overclocker. So it gets my vote.

On a side note, AreEss, I also have a 1.0 tbird that seems to have no limit in sight. I've had it at 1.5ghz, and unfortunately the mobo it's on (Asus A7V133) runs out of room at 150fsb. (1/4 pci divider is the highest it goes) Who knows how far it could go with a good mobo.

Just to put my 2 cents worth in I have a p4moble 1.4@ 2.4 stable been that way 3 months on air! 42c idle never looked for top limit running in wifes comp would have a fit if it corrupted files.

I agree that back in the day when 400mhz celerons were hitting 1ghz, that was when overclocking registered on my radar screen. Though for the sake of the poll I voted northwood.

Definately the early celerons. Undisputed best overclockers.

Most recently I am voting for the Northwood. Almost all of those overclock well. 1.6, 1.8, 2.4, 2.8... All of those overclocked well. So for a "core" I would say northwood.

Back