Best Photo Printer?

wake6830

Gawd
I'm looking into getting a good photo printer for home use, but I have no idea where to start in finding one that's right for me.

I have a Rebel XT for my primary camera, and most of my shots are either at parties/hanging out with my friends OR when I take day-trips or vacations.

I use photoshop to fix the pictures up a bit, so I don't need any direct print options.

I'm not looking to print anything beyond 5x7 really, and even those would probably be farely rare. Mostly I just want to print out your standard snapshot size.

The photos would be put in a photo album, or in some cases if i took something really nice i might put it in a small frame or up on a bulletin board sort of thing.

Mostly what I'm looking for is good print quality, ease of use, and low cost per print. I haven't set a budget yet, but I don't want to get too spendy.

The advantages/disadvantages have to outweigh the advantages/disadvantages of ordering the prints from flickr, which is the other option i'm considering.

As photo printers go, Canon and Epson are rated the highest among photographers. I got a Epson Stylus Photo R340, and with some ilford paper, this thing is awesome. Looks exactly like pics from the lab.

Do you have a Costco membership? They do a great job, are fast, and dirt cheap. The only downside is that you have to go and pick up your prints. One of my friends made some prints for me on his Pixma 8500 with Canon Photo Paper Pro, and the color isn't as good as the Costco prints.

I use the Canon Pixma ip 6600d in conjunction with my Rebel XT and it does wonderful 4x6, smaller or 8x11.5 prints. Its about 200 retail and canon has a 30 dollar MIR going on for it now.
I put in my research and many recommended this printer for this price range. The only thing it received low marks in was text printing for everyday printing use. Which i use a laserjet for that, so it wasnt an issue for me.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Canon_Pixma_iP6600D/4505-3156_7-31475437-2.html?tag=sub

The only piece of Cannon equipment I have is my i960 printer. It puts out good prints for me.

Nice topic as I am looking for a new photo printer as well. My wife scrapbooks so its nice for her to arrange which prints she wants and then print them out without traveling to Costco or Wallyworld. I was looking at the HP Photosmart 8250, but my last Photosmart printer died in less than two years. May just have to go with the Epson R340 like Darktiger recommended.

-E

Back