Best price-to-quality iPod case?

dmikon

n00b
I recently purchased an iPod and would like to get a case for it before it gets any scratches. Anyone have any recommendations as to what I should get?

Features I need:
- Attachable belt clip
- Clear screen protection (not covered)
- Accessibility to the iPod wheel without removing/opening the case
- Something not more than $30

Features that I would like:
- Black or white color
- Minimal addition to the overall volume of the iPod + case, something slim

Any input would be appreciated.

vinividivici said:
exo2. hell, i have one for a 3g 30/40 i'd part with.

I completely agree, definately check out the iskin products first. I'm using an evo2 for my 4G and love it. It's a perfect fit, doesn't add much bulk and provides ideal protection/access.

I only have one minor gripe and that is that the access to the bottom port is just a bit more snug than I'd like and I have to pay attention when connecting the cable. It's not that big a deal for me really, but it is the one thing that makes the product less than perfect in my eyes.

Definately fits all of the original posters requested features though, and is just a damn fine product all around. I've not used the included belt clip yet, but it seems like it would be adequate. Might be pushing the target budget by a few bucks after shipping, but well worth it in my opinion, especially compared to the other products I've seen and been very unimpressed with.

MonkeyBoy said:
I completely agree, definately check out the iskin products first. I'm using an evo2 for my 4G and love it. It's a perfect fit, doesn't add much bulk and provides ideal protection/access.

I only have one minor gripe and that is that the access to the bottom port is just a bit more snug than I'd like and I have to pay attention when connecting the cable. It's not that big a deal for me really, but it is the one thing that makes the product less than perfect in my eyes.

Definately fits all of the original posters requested features though, and is just a damn fine product all around. I've not used the included belt clip yet, but it seems like it would be adequate. Might be pushing the target budget by a few bucks after shipping, but well worth it in my opinion, especially compared to the other products I've seen and been very unimpressed with.
lemme ask you somthing, would you ever want a case with an integrated battery pack, like belkin's battery pack?

GtrPmp said:
lemme ask you somthing, would you ever want a case with an integrated battery pack, like belkin's battery pack?

Me personally? Probably not. Actually, let me re-state that: I would consider picking up a case with an integrated battery pack as a secondary case. For most of my use, the battery life is plenty to get me from charge to charge. 95% of the time the two most important factors to me are "Is my iPod protected enough for the situation?" and "Can I fit it in my pocket without it being uncomfortable". For that 95% of the time, the evo2 is exactly what I need. Hard cases tend to add too much bulk to satisfy the second criteria and most other soft cases don't provide enough protection to satisfy the first (many lack a good screen protection).

On those occasions which fit into the other 5% of the time, I'd be willing to budge a bit on the second criteria in order to gain on battery life. My problems with the Belkin pack is that it attaches with suction cups (meaning that you either need a hard-case or no case to attach it to your iPod). If there was a solution that both protected the iPod and provided for an extended power supply (and of course if the price was right) I would at least be open to the idea of having a secondary case for these special circumstances where what I've got now isn't the best answer.

i appreciate your response, i am currently in the process of designing a case that would fit both of your criteria, with the optional battery backup. now just one more, what would you consider paying for this thing.

well, if your factoring in price-to-quality as a ratio, you can't beat free.

socks. Then you've even got spares. Lots of em. Don't tell me you don't have a lonely sock that has lost its other half to the ether-region known as the washing machine?

i'll third the iskin, i bought one instantly after seeing a friend's and i've been responsible for a good dozen more people buying them. it's cost effective, very slim and very impressive for a simple bit of plastic.

-esr

im not a fan of the iSkin, if its the case I think it is, which i'm pretty sure I it is, it doesnt protect the screen. and after seeing my friends screen w/ one of those cases on, im not to..."apt" in getting one.

um, the iskin comes with a plastic screen protector. the only thing left unprotected is the jog wheel (on the 4g) which is easily dealt with by leaving the shipping plastic on.

feel free to check out their site, www.iskin.com, or the page for the evo2, http://www.iskin.com/evo2.html and note the 'screen saver'.

I've had my 4g in the iSkin since it was released back in the day, and it doesn’t have nary a scratch anywhere. It's still the best solution i've encountered and far more useful then the apple case which didn't come stock anymore when i bought the 40gb 4g (before the iPod Photo).

-esr

I recommend Radtech. They work great, protect the ipod and have a screen cover. I use my ipod at the gym and running and Caselogic has a great case that the Radtech fits inside and has the versatility of including an armstrap, waist strap and a hand strap and I recommend this as well - I use them both.

rayman2k2 said:
im not a fan of the iSkin, if its the case I think it is, which i'm pretty sure I it is, it doesnt protect the screen. and after seeing my friends screen w/ one of those cases on, im not to..."apt" in getting one.

your friend probably just lost the screen protector. but yea, it does come w/ one.

I just ordered my evo2 and can't wait for it to get here...I already have a small scratch on it and have been VERY careful with it :(

Nice, I was about to ask the same question. Looks like i'll be getting a Evo2 for my new 4G 20Gig my parents got me for X-Mas :D

iskin here as well... ghost model for my 3G

ipodghost.jpg

Is there a way to attach an arm band to an iSkin for the 4G? I lift weights several times a week, and having an iPod sitting near my stomach on a clip is asking for trouble.

ive never heard of an armband for the regular iPods, or the iskin cases. so i doubt there is one. but i could be quite wrong. there probably are some, it just depends on what case you bought.

1152DrumLove said:
Does the iSkin case work well with the dock?
Unfortunately, it totally negates the use of the dock once it's on. It's too fat after you put it on to sit properly. I have to use the attachment at the bottom. :(

Does anyone have the 'glo' version of the iSkin? Looks interesting. Also, if you order (it says today) then they include a free travel case, and by dec 31 you get 50% 5 pack shades (face plates for the screen if you will)

Pal

Palliser said:
Does anyone have the 'glo' version of the iSkin? Looks interesting. Also, if you order (it says today) then they include a free travel case, and by dec 31 you get 50% 5 pack shades (face plates for the screen if you will)

Pal
I just ordered a glo iskin the ghost one to be exact and I bought those shades thinges too. I wont get it until Jan. 6th though, UPS always reschedules deliveries to my house for some reason.

Anyone have experience with the Contour Designs Showcase? (http://www.contourdesign.com/showcase/index.htm). I've narrowed my choice to between that one and the evo2. I'm leaning towards the Showcase, as it just seems to be a bit better protection, and the belt clip a better design (when I'd use it; removal seems easier as well). Any thoughts?

I ordered an iskin evo2, largely because I was able to get it new for $19. I thought about the podsleevz, but it didnt seem like it would offer much protection in the likely event something happened to my ipod. I take it everywhere, and bought a tape cassette adapter for my car so it never leaves my side really.

My girlfriend is getting a little jealous, I think :cool:

well i have the Monster one..didnt protect the screen but then i sorta like it.

inc said:
I ordered an iskin evo2, largely because I was able to get it new for $19. I thought about the podsleevz, but it didnt seem like it would offer much protection in the likely event something happened to my ipod. I take it everywhere, and bought a tape cassette adapter for my car so it never leaves my side really.

My girlfriend is getting a little jealous, I think :cool:
where did u find it for only $19??

Palliser said:

Pal

the free travel case is pretty much crap, just a little plastic thing with a zipper attached to it. i say crap because the zipper detached itself from the plastic one day when i wasn't even doing anything :rolleyes:

well I just got my evo2 and it is nice..I like the little extra shock protection the silicon is going to provide...makes it look a little different too :D

kevin1211 said:
where did u find it for only $19??
I have a corporate account at PC Mall.com, and they sell most things at 3% above wholesale... Its nice knowing an account rep :cool:

Back