Best Router +)

No offense but if you read the first paragraph you'd know why those routers are even on the list. They've been tested and deployed by enthusiasts and experts in this forum who do this for a living and a good number of them have even passed through my home so I have first-hand knowledge of them.

Second, what kind of "gaming" testing would you like? "Gaming" has become a ridiculously huge branding that aims to make people think game traffic is somehow different from the rest of the traffic that occurs on your network. The fact is - it isn't. If a router can pass gobs of traffic from LAN to WAN and pass torrent abuse tests - is there any reason why you think it wouldn't somehow pass a "gaming" test?

This is not "Maximum PC" - I don't subscribe to the idea that "gaming routers" are somehow better than any other router based solely upon the name.

The -only- thing that might make a tiny bit of difference is if the router has QoS - which is noted in the list.

oscar.jpg

Replying in your thread.

Saw it. Thanks! :)

My only complaint is the MAC Address block can't be applied to only the Wireless side, as you can in the DGL-4300.

Another vote for the DIR-655, I've deployed about 30 of them so far and have had great luck with them. Throughput is great and it has a lot of features.

Is range on the DGL-4300 comparable to the DIR-655? I noticed it only has one antennae vs the three on the DIR-655. Never had to worry about the MAC address block but I could see where that may be an issue if you were subtending AP's off of the DIR-655

My only complaint is the MAC Address block can't be applied to only the Wireless side, as you can in the DGL-4300.

I would assume you would need to put two MAC blocks in for each node one for wireless and one for wired.

I can't comment on range, as the distance between the routers and the XBox 360 hasn't changed, but it does seem more reliable. I haven't seen a single one of those blinking 'red' things from Live since I set up the DIR-655.

I didn't see them often with the 4300, but I did see them.

I wanted to use WPA2/AES since it's overhead is much, much less than WPA, but for some reason the WPA2 option on the XBOX 360 is greyed out. Maybe the MS Xbox 360 adapter doesn't support it.

Is range on the DGL-4300 comparable to the DIR-655? I noticed it only has one antennae vs the three on the DIR-655. Never had to worry about the MAC address block but I could see where that may be an issue if you were subtending AP's off of the DIR-655

Actually, what you want to do is set it to block ALL MAC's except those in the list. Then you put in the MAC's for all your wireless gear. This stops anyone else from connecting.

On the DGL-4300, you can set the feature to either have the block on the wireless only, or the ethernet and wireless.

On the DIR-655, this option does not exist. It blocks ALL networks, and you have to add the MAC for every network deviced on your network, which is a royal pain in the ass.

Not to mention if you don't add the MAC of the wired computer you are using to set up the router, and you save the settings, you just knocked yourself off the network :)

I've written them about it. It's a dumb setup in the DIR-655. I just turned it off. No way I'm going to try and manage MAC allowances for everything on my wired network.

I would assume you would need to put two MAC blocks in for each node one for wireless and one for wired.

That DAP-1555 looks like it is going to rock :) I LOVE the idea of one wireless device that can handle up to 5 Ethernet devices. Very cool!

Quick FYI:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=548

I called D-link this morning to ask them when they expected to finally get that dual band DIR-855 router of theirs out and they said "sometime in either November or December of this year."

That's going to be an interesting product to watch out for alongside that DAP 1555 HD Media Bridge that's already slowly leaking out.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=570

The DGL-4500 is now shipping. I just ordered one :)

From D-link directly? I see that as well.

I'd just like to know what, if any differences there are/will be with this 4500 vs. the forthcoming DIR 855, if any.

I'll look forward to reading your impressions. :)

Bizarre: The 4500's emulator on the Dlink website has no WDS feature in the advanced wireless area but the PDF of the instruction manual says it does. I'd like to have that confirmed one way or the other. I'm suspecting the instruction manual is probably correct.

That DAP-1555 looks like it is going to rock :) I LOVE the idea of one wireless device that can handle up to 5 Ethernet devices. Very cool!

Um, any DD-WRT equipped router can do this already. The DAP-1555 is potentially interesting for draft-n support (dual-band to boot), but to get the full flavor of the kool-aid, I'd want the switch to be gigabit.

I thnk the difference between the DGL-4500 and DIR-655 will probably be about the same as the difference between the DGL-4300 and the DIR-655, in that the DIR-855 will not have the GameFuel engine.

Both the DGL-4500 and DIR-855 appear to be on the same 'engine' platform, unlike the DGL-4300 vs. DIR-655.

One irritation. I see that in the DGL-4500 DLink has, again, removed the option to apply the MAC filtering to only the Wireless side. Stupid.

At least the Firewall options are back in the DGL-4500. They were removed in recent DIR-655 firmware.

From D-link directly? I see that as well.

I'd just like to know what, if any differences there are/will be with this 4500 vs. the forthcoming DIR 855, if any.

I'll look forward to reading your impressions. :)

Bizarre: The 4500's emulator on the Dlink website has no WDS feature in the advanced wireless area but the PDF of the instruction manual says it does. I'd like to have that confirmed one way or the other. I'm suspecting the instruction manual is probably correct.

^^ What about if you have a PC a good two floors away from the DIR 655? Would the matching PCI N card be sufficient to get good-great performance or would more steps be required?
^^ That's the situation I'm trying to figure out right now.

I have the DIR-655 at my house - tri-level home. Used to have tons of connection issued on the laptop using an older Wireless G router and card in the laptop. I picked up the matching DWA-652 wireless N card for the laptop when I got the 655 and have had excellent signal quality throughout the house ever since. At the farthest point from the router - in the kitchen where I used to get no signal I now get at least 50% and the speed on the laptop - N versus G, it's no comparison, the laptop now responds like it's on a wired connection.

DIR-625 i just bought this router. I live in a 2 floor apartment and i was wondering what diffrence this is compared to the DIR 655

right now i get a really good signal using my dlink Xtreme wireless N adapter. Its comparable to my old wired connection

Back