"Best" SATA ports to use on P8P67 Pro ?

Grackdor

n00b
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can suggest which SATA ports to use for the best chance of avoiding problems ?

I have an Intel X-25M G2 160GB SSD for the only drive in the system, and of course one optical DVD burner.

The reason I ask is having combed through the many threads about fixing various issues on these mobos, some of the "fixes" users have suggested involve swapping SATA ports.

My current thought is to maybe put both drives on the Intel 3GB ports. (Disable the Marvel and JMicron controllers entirely, and skip trying the Intel 6GB ports for now.)

Does anyone know if using both of the drives on the same controller has any negative impacts on performance, reliability,system stability, etc ??

Thanks in advance !

I'm wondering the same thing.

If you have one SSD, is it best to connect it to the Intel 6GB port or the Marvell port?

Does anyone know if using both of the drives on the same controller has any negative impacts on performance, reliability,system stability, etc ??
There's no problem.

Intel 6G ports.
Yes, just fill up the Intel ports and if you need more down the road, use the Marvell ones. You can use any port you wish. I put my Intel SSD on one of the 6G ports and have no issues. If you do have problems, just switch things around.

I think that you are thinking about the issue with the old H67 and p67 chipset based boards (B2 stepping) on the SATA 2 ports. Unless you still have one of these early boards (B2) in which case you should return it you won’t have a problem with any of the SATA ports. On the current boards (which have the B3 stepping) there are no issues at all. So use whatever ports you would like. I have read that there is a very small advantage off from running on the SATA 3 (6Gbit) ports.

I split my drives - put one on the 6G ports and one on the 3G ports - just in case. But they all work fine. Also disabled the JMicron and Marvell controllers in the BIOS, since I have no need for those.

Thanks everyone for the info.
FYI, I wasn't referring to the recall (B2 vs B3) problem. I was actually referring to the various threads at this very forum (and other sites) which document MANY little annoyances for some folks like system freezing, etc.etc. (I won't start a list here.... those posts fill this forum page.)

Amongst some of the reported "fixes" include swapping the SATA ports being used. I dunno, those likely are not a common issue, but my thought was to try and avoid any potential pain-in-the-arse before it starts by asking folks that have already suffered though it.

So, alot of folks seem to say to use the Intel 6GB (SATA3) ports for both the SSD and the optical drive. That was my first idea. But, I coulda sworn I've read recent posts by users actually reporting a minor decrease when benchmarking a SATA2 SSD on a SATA3 port. (Wish I could remember where I read that.....)

Last follow-up question....... (forgive the noobness) ...... if I happen to run into problems, and I want to try to switch from say the Intel SATA3 ports to the Intel SATA2 ports, is it really that simple to power down the system, swap the cables into the new ports, and power back up ? (Sounds too simple to be true ! HA !)

Thanks again everyone, I LOVE this forum for the awesome technical info everyone shares !!!

Last follow-up question....... (forgive the noobness) ...... if I happen to run into problems, and I want to try to switch from say the Intel SATA3 ports to the Intel SATA2 ports, is it really that simple to power down the system, swap the cables into the new ports, and power back up ? (Sounds too simple to be true ! HA !)

You can switch them just that easily. It'll redetect on the new port and you'll be off and running.

I would only use the Marvel ports as a last resort. The performance of those add-on ports, compared ot the native Intel, is generally lower.

I don't think it really matters, but use SATA port #0 with your boot drive so it's detected first. Doesn't really make much difference but some people are perfectionists/OCD :p

Back