Best "small" gaming laptop?

jebo_4jc

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2011
I'm looking for something smaller than a 17" screen. I've seen the ASUS 14" model with the X1700, but I'd like to get something better than that GPU in a model that is somewhere around 15".

Any suggestions?

I'd be curious to see what people recomends as I am myself in the market for an ultra portable machine that can attack some lower end games.

It all depends on your price range really, which is why I asked.

Most of my friends have used Dell and some Toshiba over the years for light gaming on the go, and have never had problems.
~Only problem was one of my friends broke his E or V key and they sent him a whole new keyboard.

Others here seem to be in love with the Asus laptops, but I have never had a chance to really spend time with any of them, but for price & parts it seems you get a good deal. It comes down to how well are they in support?

For me, price isn't as much of a consideration. The variance in price in the "standard size" segment doesn't seem to be too drastic.

In other words, if you can find me a $2,500 model with 15" screen, I'd probably buy it.

I took the plunge on an Asus A8JS model

14" wxga+ with a Gf7700 go.

The 'egg has the one with Vista Home Premium in stock.

I bought the one with XP Pro after looking for the exact same thing as you. I used another retailer since 'egg was out of stock the day I decide to buy it.

I think Mwave has these in stock for a couple bucks less, but its around the $1500 price-range.

Unfortunately, small footprint with decent vid-card = more bucks, but this one had the OS, the graphics card, and the HDD size I wanted. A similarly configured dell E1405 runs $1500 but with the Intel GMA950. The e1505 similarly configured runs $1511 with the same core stuff (C2D 7200, 120GBHDD, and 1 GB of ram, DVD DL burner, 2 year warranty) but a Gf 7300 turbo-cache card. Granted, you can get a dell coupon, but if you want one today, I cant find a better deal than the Asus A8J series.

Asus gives you 1GB ram with 1 dimm, nice little plus. The graphics card is my only frill I wanted and yes, I'm paying probably too much for it, but hey, I wanted a portable laptop, not a DTR I can game with.

Bad parts about the Asus, the battery life is 2 1/2 hours with no extended battery available. :\

I just bought the Asus with the Nvidia because of the slightly better performance and the TREMENDOUSLY better Linux support. If I didn't care a tinker's darn about linux, I would have bought the A8JP and save a couple bucks. After looking, I ordered my A8JS for a shade over $1400, so the extra $150 I spent on the Nvidia is the money I'm paying for better linux support and XP pro (versus MCE).

edit:

It comes down to how well are they in support?

Abso-freaking-lutely. From the various reviews, Asus Global support seems to be very responsive and very good. The 2 year standard warranty was a selling point to me.

Bad parts about the Asus, the battery life is 2 1/2 hours with no extended battery available. :\.
That's not bad for a gaming-grade lappy

I would like to have an extended/extra battery though

What about those laptops that offer both discreet and integrated graphics chips so that you can switch between the two when you want to. One for battery and one for power?

I can't recall any of the models, but I'm searching up right now...

i believe the dell m1210 also switches from intel gma 950 to the nvidia 7400

it's probably as expensive as the sony so you should buy from the outlet (if you're from the US)

I really think that's a good middle ground... but VAIO laptops are so expensive...

Sony Search

Some arent that bad on price (I got a laugh out of the one for $1337), but they require some upgrades before you open the box 512MB memory). Unfortunately, they are turbocache 7400's...

I didnt think the 1210's had both the 7400 and the GMA, I thought one was the upgrade....

If you go the dell route, wow, does that sucker clock up past $2k quick! (edit: 1210's are also TC version of the 7400)

Without going to a 17 incher i don't think you're going to find anything with a better vid card than the 7700/x1700 class.

Without going to a 17 incher i don't think you're going to find anything with a better vid card than the 7700/x1700 class.

You are exactly right. This is exactly why I went with the Asus A8J series. I thought about it and thought about it, but the difference in mobility from a 15" to a 14" is night and day for me.

you know what, you're right, i've been missinformed

No offence intended, did not mean to correct anyone. I looked for myself because I wouldnt mind paying the premium for the 1200 series if it had a non TC/Hypermemory card. I had to make sure I didnt miss an option I should have gone with.

I am actually thinking of going the 1210 route from Dell.
Now before somebody says I can get a certain Asus lappy that will be much better,I get a very nice discount because of my employer. (Employee & Affliates Purchase Program)
That gets me 7% off. Then 12% off systems priced $1600 and up with 3/4 yr At-Home service. Cap that off with 18 months no interest financing.
I need to replace my Dell M140 with the crappy Intel Graphics.
I am not expecting 7950 type graphics, just need better than what I have now.
A 17" is way too big for me to be lugging around. (My job is travel related and I am spending more time on the road than home lately.)
I need to get to the Dell kiosk at the mall in the next week and get physical with the 1210 and see if it will do.

Hoffy, double check your EAP price vs the normal dell price. Unless they've changed things it's essentially a scam since the EAP machines have lower generic discounts than normal ones. I never saw more than $20 savings on a $1k class machine.

I am actually thinking of going the 1210 route from Dell.
Now before somebody says I can get a certain Asus lappy that will be much better,I get a very nice discount because of my employer. (Employee & Affliates Purchase Program)
That gets me 7% off. Then 12% off systems priced $1600 and up with 3/4 yr At-Home service. Cap that off with 18 months no interest financing.
I need to replace my Dell M140 with the crappy Intel Graphics.
I am not expecting 7950 type graphics, just need better than what I have now.
A 17" is way too big for me to be lugging around. (My job is travel related and I am spending more time on the road than home lately.)
I need to get to the Dell kiosk at the mall in the next week and get physical with the 1210 and see if it will do.

I would have gone with an 1210. I love the ergonomics and the battery life. The cost was a little high for me, so that was my decision maker. Grab the 1210 if the price is right.

Did I say battery life? :D

I just got a M1210 and I absolutely love it. It's so small and the battery life is quite nice and I only have a 6 cell. Gaming is quite a surprise as well, BF2 and WoW run great at native resolution. You're not going to get 7950GTX speed and eye candy, but what you get it in this small little package is quite impressive!

Hoffy, double check your EAP price vs the normal dell price. Unless they've changed things it's essentially a scam since the EAP machines have lower generic discounts than normal ones. I never saw more than $20 savings on a $1k class machine.

I configured it up at $1996 on both regular and EAP.
Regular gives 7% off for the PC-Care Plus bundle for a final price of $1856.28 before tax.
EAP gives 7% off for the PC-Care Plus bundle and 12% off systems priced $1600 and up with 3/4 yr At-Home service for a final price of $1633.53 before tax. That's an extra $222.75 off.

BTW this is how it was configured. (I will upgrade the HDD and Mem myself through newegg.) (Already have someone who will buy the 80GB and 1GB Ram)

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
MEMORY 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)
HARD DRIVE 80GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
OPTICAL DRIVE 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
VIDEO CARD 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7400 TurboCached
SOUND OPTIONS Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™HD Software Edition
SERVICES & SUPPORT PLANS 3 year PC-Care Plus Bundle
BATTERIES 53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
WIRELESS CARDS Intel PRO/Wireless 3945a/g

I've noticed that also.

I get the 7%, then 12% and another 10% because of my Employer. (Tyco Electronics)

Half the time I can get a better deal, using normal coupons..

I really miss my AAFES access... $1200 fully loaded XPS Gen 2s was awsome..

Im in the market for another laptop soon, since I sold my 9300 last year.

Ill probally buy it on my DPA card for the extra 3% then just use my works computer loan program to pay off my Dell card :)

I am looking to buy a gaming laptop some time in May. Should I wait until there are Direct-X-10-capable laptops available?

By May, there should be one already, now it may be a low end gaming laptop.

Also depends if you "need" it right at May, or if you just "want" it around May.

By May, there should be one already, now it may be a low end gaming laptop.

Also depends if you "need" it right at May, or if you just "want" it around May.

Well I want it around May, but don't really need it until August. I just want to know if it would be smarter to wait until laptops are released with the 8800 Go or some other DX10 video card. I want my laptop to be as "future-proof" as possible.

On that note, how likely will it be that 12-14 inch laptops will be released with DX10 hardware in the near future?

Probably not likely...I bought my 15.4" laptop in the fall of 06 (just last year) and it had a X1600 in it at the time, which was the best you could get. Currently I see X1700 now floating around in the 15.4" laptops.

A laptop is the worse thing to "future" proof, because it has the least time at being in the lead. I mean when I bought mine, less than three months later there were already faster GPU/CPUs on the market.

Basically, when you want to buy, check to see if there are any major upgrades within the next month & if you can wait. Right now the only thing I know of is the new CPUs that should be out by summer (could be late summer though). Find what you want & buy it, and be happy. It is how I am. :D

Well I want it around May, but don't really need it until August. I just want to know if it would be smarter to wait until laptops are released with the 8800 Go or some other DX10 video card. I want my laptop to be as "future-proof" as possible.

That's what I am doing...I am deliberately waiting until the 8800 series comes out for laptops...then I will jump in.

Even if laptops are the "worst thing" to futureproof against, it still makes sense to buy at the initial release of the new hardware, like video cards...

it is going to awhile before laptops see dx10. The battery drain from those power hungry cards is going to be crazy. We won't see dx10 in laptops until the gpus are on the 65nm process. Gaming on a laptop is nice but I don't want 230 watt lamprey in my thin and light.

it is going to awhile before laptops see dx10. The battery drain from those power hungry cards is going to be crazy. We won't see dx10 in laptops until the gpus are on the 65nm process. Gaming on a laptop is nice but I don't want 230 watt lamprey in my thin and light.

Yeah, I just started considering the same thing. Those 8800s will be very power hungry. I am now thinking about getting a Dell M1210. My only concern is the 7400 video card that you can get with it. What kind of performance can you expect from that card with newer games? Is this video card compatible with Vista and all the Aero effects?

I configured it up at $1996 on both regular and EAP.
Regular gives 7% off for the PC-Care Plus bundle for a final price of $1856.28 before tax.
EAP gives 7% off for the PC-Care Plus bundle and 12% off systems priced $1600 and up with 3/4 yr At-Home service for a final price of $1633.53 before tax. That's an extra $222.75 off.

BTW this is how it was configured. (I will upgrade the HDD and Mem myself through newegg.) (Already have someone who will buy the 80GB and 1GB Ram)

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
MEMORY 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)
HARD DRIVE 80GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
OPTICAL DRIVE 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
VIDEO CARD 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7400 TurboCached
SOUND OPTIONS Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™HD Software Edition
SERVICES & SUPPORT PLANS 3 year PC-Care Plus Bundle
BATTERIES 53 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
WIRELESS CARDS Intel PRO/Wireless 3945a/g

My Components
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM FREE Upgrade to Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium with 1GB of memory edit
LCD PANEL 15.4 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen SXGA+ Display with TrueLife™ edit
MEMORY 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 DIMM edit
HARD DRIVE FREE! 120GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability edit
VIDEO CARD 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7300 TurboCache* edit
SOUND OPTIONS Integrated Audio edit

Sub-total $1,466.00 at Dell

My Components
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM FREE Upgrade to Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium with 1GB of memory edit
LCD PANEL 15.4 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen SXGA+ Display with TrueLife™ edit
MEMORY 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 DIMM edit
HARD DRIVE FREE! 120GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability edit
VIDEO CARD 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7300 TurboCache* edit
SOUND OPTIONS Integrated Audio edit

Sub-total $1,466.00 at Dell

Yes if I went with the 1505 I would be there too. I am looking at the 18 months interest free financing though. I could put it on my Platinum Visa and try to pay it down quick before the interest kills me. Something I am looking at yet.
Also the 1650 x 1080 screen upgrade. :)

I pulled the trigger and ordered an XPS M1210. WOW is it sleek and sexy.
My only bitch is Vista.

What specs and what price did you get?
I have an XPS M1210
2Ghz T7200 4MB L2
2 GB PC5300 from Frys.com for $120 (Ordered with 1GB DC)
100 GB HDD 7200rpm Seagate SATA
7400 Go 256Mb shared video

I have an XPS M1210
2Ghz T7200 4MB L2
2 GB PC5300 from Frys.com for $120 (Ordered with 1GB DC)
100 GB HDD 7200rpm Seagate SATA
7400 Go 256Mb shared video
If that 7400 Go was a 7700 or even 7600 I would be typing away on an M1210 right now....

Its virtually impossible to get a GOOD gaming machine in a 15.4 inch screen or smaller. They're just not able to hold those higher end cards. However with the 7700's or x1700 they pretty much play anything.

Back