best software for Network Video Recorder? building a dvr

t0mmyr

[H]ard|Gawd
So I'm researching the feasibility of an building in-house NVR for a security camera upgrade project at my company. We'll be moving to megapixel cameras over ip....just wondering if anyone has built their own reliable nvr from scratch, if so what software do you use?

I just got the Gevision software after i saw it recommended here (And a great deal off ebay on the capture card!) and i have to so that i am REALLY impressed with the software and what all it can do. Remote playback is smooth, Remote multiview looks great, it even looks good on the mobile client (Android)

Overall, I recommend Geovision now, I have used Axis, RapidOS in the past and don't even like looking at them now lol

Milestone has an excellent DVR software that I've used in several locations. Also I'm patial to Axis cameras to go along with Milestone software. How many cameras are we talking about?

We are currently using a mixmatched setup with 2 software, WebcamXP and Blueiris. Seems low-end at first but considering most of our cameras are cheap trendnets, it does the job pretty well so far.

I would also like to know alternatives, I am open to suggestions, like the OP.

we have 32 analog in place, im thinking of changing some to ip or adding about 12

What kinda hardware you going to use? Have you planned any out ? Are you going analog cards or Ip based cameras ?

My suggestion would be POE, but that's just me :)

Siamese cable is pretty cheap, just like cat5-6..

Ubiquiti has a new AirVision product that just came out. It's IP and POE. (24V I believe...) 80 bucks per camera. I don't think it has an IR filter on it so it sucks in the dark. Might want to check them out.

Back