Best sound card for headphone listening under $60?

SenorBeef

Weaksauce
Looking to get a decent soundcard. I don't need anything high end, just something that will drive a decent set of 32ohm headphones like HD280s or HD595s. Mostly I'd like music to sound good, and really, sound cards these days don't really have any gaming-specific features anyway, right?

Xonar DG/DGX seem to fit the bill. They say they have a built in headphone amplifier - is that not a typical thing in a sound card, or is that an unusual feature? The price is right. Is the only difference between the DG and DGX pci vs pci-e? Because right now on neweggg the DG can be had for half as much.

I have no need for digital out, surround sound, any of that - just regular 3.5mm headphone jacks. I just want something with good/non-intrusive drivers, no added delay to sound, and good quality for headphones.

Would it really be worthwhile to bother spending above the $50-60 tier, or is that adequate for my needs?

Are the DG/DGX good? Should I be looking at something else?

Thanks.

I think you need to stretch your budget to around $100 if you want good quality. Unless you can score a cheap receiver on craigslist.

The only sound card I would consider is the creative z.

Asus is ok but nothing like the z in terms of sound quality. Asus drivers are also hit or miss.

Creative has the best drivers going atm. I literally can't believe it but I have had zero issues with mine. Plus, the Z does gaming sound better than any sound card I have ever used. There is an actual improvement there.

You other option is a usb dac/amp or receiver.

How useful is the mic that comes with the Z? I might be able to talk myself into $100 if I'm springing for a good mic too.

I generally don't like creative products that much - their software/drivers are usually bad and they drop support for things very quickly.

Mic works fine. This round creative has it right. No issues. A miracle I know.

I'd get the Z if you want a well-balanced card. The DG is a great card but moreso for video gaming on a budget because it gives you Dolby Headphone. The Z uses CMSS, or whatever its successor is called, which is a preference thing.

I'm going to make an order soon, would anyone else like to chime in to say the Z is worth the extra cash?

A cheap USB DAC/Amp is going to give you better music quality than an equivalently priced soundcard, and won't take up a slot in your computer. Obviously you won't get any special hardware game support, but that stuff is kind of questionable these days anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you're gaming, get a soundcard. If just for music, you can entertain the option of going external. However, I'd never game without DH or CMSS--much better virtual surround for competitive and non-competitive gaming.

DG is the cheapest way to get DH. Z gives you CMSS and much better DAC and amps. CMSS (or whatever its called in Z) vs. DH is preference.

Back