Best sub 14" Gaming Laptop for $800 or less?

saku

Limp Gawd
I currently have a Asus G51 laptop and looking to upgrade for no other reason other than the fact that parents' single laptop is severely outdated and slow. Wanted to give them mine and purchase an updated model for myself. I'm looking for the following:

- 14" or less
- GT 335M or above
- i5 or above
- 320 GB or above
- decent speakers

I am partial to the ASUS brand but am also eyeing the M11x R2. I could pick one up from the Dell outlet for ~$700 or other places for around the same price or less. Rather not go the Dell route if there are equally viable options out there. Please give me your recommendations for laptops that fall within the above criteria. Thanks!

Watch out because I believe the m11x R2 has the potential to experience the "hinge issue" (lid won't close).

Dell has already issued a recall for anyone who has an M11x to get the display replaced with the new hinges.

The M11x sounds like a pretty good fit for what you're looking for.

Thanks for the input guys. Was checking out graphic card benchmarks and saw that the GT 335M is actually a tier below my GTX 260M. :(

Anyone know of any comparable asus laptops? I'm willing to compromise on size if needed.

You can get a new HP dv6t quad with a 6770m which is a bit better than your 260m. Just put in coupon code NB8095 and it's about $850 shipped with a 2630QM CPU.

I looked around and saw that I was going to have to spend $900+ to get anything worth upgrading to. I decided to just go ahead and buy a laptop for the parental units. Dad's bday is coming soon anyway. I got them a 17R with i5-460M, 500GB, 4GB Ram for $478 shipped from Dell Outlet.

They are clueless when it comes to computers so it's more than enough for a few years to watch their korean dramas. D:

Thanks everyone for your advices!

I believe the best value gaming laptop that is 14" or less is the 4820TG from Acer. It has a core i7 480 with a 6550M graphics card. It got it for 729.9 from amazon a few months ago and it's has been working great for me! Also the TimeLineX series are very slim making it great portable gaming machine as well.

Even the 9600m GT ddr3 or ati 4650 is better than the gt 335m, and you can throw it in old 14" Acer notebooks.

The 5730m is the same as the 6550m, actually the 5730m is a little better (higher clocks).

I just wish they would come out with some 14" notebooks with MXM 3.0 a, because there is a 6770m that is a different thing altogether.
edit: anything ati ddr5 coming out soon will be massively better...

The 3820g has better cooling than the 4820g, it has 2 fans.

don't forget the HP envy 14 and the new Alienware m14x! if you have that kind of money ;)

Back