Best Upgrade from 9700 Pro

siegecraft4 said:
I say get your computer working stably first before you buy ANYTHING. Chances are that something else is destabilizing the system. What makes you suspect its the 9700 pro?

It only freezes when im playing WoW or FarCry. When i reduce the settings in game it becomes much more stable.

Keetha said:
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/index.html

Use that :)

It has different games and benchmark programs run with different resolutions and AA/AF off and on. Different games, some lean towards nVidia and some towards ATI. Overall a very good guide to get you going.

Good Read, thank you.

It looks like the GT outperforms in MOST games over the X800....and both are bounds ahead of my 9700Pro :eek:

Your welcome.

And I forgot to vote. I say get a 6800gt at the minimum. If your not into OCing and like to play with eye candy and make it last a while, I'd go ahead and get the Ultra though.

well to be honest dude if you want to play at 1600x1200 like you said earlier i would skip this generation and wait for g70 r520 to come around. sure the 6800gt is capable of 1600x1200 in todays games but i bet it will struggle in future games.

pandora's box said:
well to be honest dude if you want to play at 1600x1200 like you said earlier i would skip this generation and wait for g70 r520 to come around. sure the 6800gt is capable of 1600x1200 in todays games but i bet it will struggle in future games.

1680x1050

I would think eventually ANY card will struggle in future games.

He is kind of right. As close as we are to the next generation of cards, you should probably wait if your not in too much of a hurry and you can afford them. I'm thinking about $500.

Keetha said:
He is kind of right. As close as we are to the next generation of cards, you should probably wait if your not in too much of a hurry and you can afford them. I'm thinking about $500.

Unless these cards are 200% better than the current cards I cannot justify going that high for a card. Thats pretty much 3 days worth of work!!

A. It is 200% better :). I'm sure not everywhere, but in fill rates and stuff it is.
B. If it's only 3 days of work, get it. It's more like 2 weeks of work for me :p.

Keetha said:
A. It is 200% better :). I'm sure not everywhere, but in fill rates and stuff it is.
B. If it's only 3 days of work, get it. It's more like 2 weeks of work for me :p.

Argh, decisions decisions....

the 6800GT looks decent for me...

ill wait until some of my fs stuff sells and see what i have in my paypal account...ill update the tread if / when there is a conclusion

If you're having trouble with games at higher resolutions (stability issues) maybe you should check your AGP aperture and see if it's over 128mb, read in an article yesterday that that can cause swapping issues.

illgiveumorality said:
If you're having trouble with games at higher resolutions (stability issues) maybe you should check your AGP aperture and see if it's over 128mb, read in an article yesterday that that can cause swapping issues.

Thanks. Link?

guito13 said:
Good Read, thank you.

It looks like the GT outperforms in MOST games over the X800....and both are bounds ahead of my 9700Pro :eek:

that chart doesn't show the x800xl though

im thinking about upgrading from a 9500pro to a 6800gt soon, what made you decide the evga over the leadtek with the large heatsink? im leaning towards the leadtek in case i decide to oc.

Corson said:
im thinking about upgrading from a 9500pro to a 6800gt soon, what made you decide the evga over the leadtek with the large heatsink? im leaning towards the leadtek in case i decide to oc.

Honestly, the user reviews were better for the evga

guito13 said:
Ordered it. Anyone want a 9700 pro.....cheap?

I had a 9700 pro, and I just did the same thing and picked up the eVGA 6800 GT (although for only $300 retail).

IT ROCKS

Practically, everything runs double - very happy and it extended the life of my system considerably.

I can finally run Doom 3 in Ultra Quality! Woot!!

This whole issue came to a head when I was having very frequent and peristent reboots under various conditions. I was sure it was the graphics card, but tests revealed it was one stick of my Mushkin gone bad. RMA'd the stick and reimaged the drive - back to rock-solid performance, so I know it wasn't the 9700 pro. But I still felt it was a good idea so I picked up the 6800 GT - very good decision.

But the moral of the story is to figure out what is really going on or you may replace a working part mistakenly as I almost did.

Price range

$150, Get a 6600GT(PCIE)

Staying with AGP?
Get a 6800 NU for $180-200

I gained a good leap in performance going from 9700np to 6600GT
then again I also upgraded my mobo + cpu

guito13 said:
Thanks guys. Please, no f a n b o y stuff just need an agp card that can work well with new games on the 2005FPW at 1680 x 1050.

What do you think about this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130202

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130203

Is the extra memory worth the 100 bucks?

oh hell yes it is worth the extra $100 when you are talking about a pipeline widening by 4 mhz increase on the core by 25 and 300mhz faster DDR3

Update:

Got the card yesterday (Finally!) because i bought a new PS / Ram to see if that would fix my problems, no luck. I didnt have much time to play with it after i got it installed but far cry is no longer freezing up on me.

My damn PVR card wont work now though so i have to mess with that sometime this weekend.

I will post more when I have more time to run some tests.

I got an EVGA 6800 NU...unlocked the vetext shader and OCed it. happy. bye.

Back