Best "value" custom WC setup?

Koslov

[H]ard|Gawd
I'd like to try water cooling for my next build. What is the current best bang for the buck "custom" setup that performs better than pre-made kits like H50 and so on.
Just for the CPU

You could go with that kit, which is no slouch, or design a similar setup based around the same or similar block. Factor in Tax and Shipping:

CPU Blocks I've been eyeing:

- XSPC Rasa ($45 at SVC, but OOS. As low as $50 elsewhere)
- Aqua Computer Cuplex Kryos Pro ($60 at Sidewinder, but no backplate. Delrin version is $50, but performance is probably then no better than Rasa, and still no backplate).

These blocks are at the top of the performance charts. They probably perform about the same, with the slight edge to the Kryos Pro. One concern I have is that these blocks feature super high density pin arrays, which seem to clog easier than something like the Fin-array used by EK, Koolance, and WC (HeatKiller).

Fortunately, I keep my loops simple and clean (Distilled water + silver = done).

Pumps (I was looking for quiet pumps):

- Any copy of the Jingway DP-1200 (DD CPX-Pro, EK DCP 4.0) - $50 - $55. - Features a ceramic impeller just like the DDC, spiral volute like the DDC aftermarket tops, flows better than a stock DDC 3.2, adds on average 4-5W less heat to the loop, and is quieter. HOWEVER - long-term reliability hasn't been determined yet IMO. So far it looks good, especially because EK and Dangerden have adopted the pump w/o much in the way of complaints.
----------- And actually that may be the only value-pump available unless you step down to low-flow pumps.

A DDC 3.2 + top will outperform it significantly. A D5 will outperform it. A DDC 3.1 + top is quieter, adds less heat to the loop, and is actually almost even (slightly less flow at high restriction, more flow at medium/low restriction - I'd guess they become nearly equal at around 1.25GPM). - I determined this after reviewing Martin's test data. It seems that I may want dual DDC 3.1 pumps for myself.

Swiftech just released their new MCP35X PWM DDC-PWM pump: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmc12vdcpu1.html - but that's obviously not inexpensive, and the reviews haven't surfaced yet.

Radiator:

- Swiftech MCR series, as big as possible: Double, Triple, or Quad. Sidewinder has good deals at $41, $50, and $70, respectively. The Corsair 700/800D can accommodate a Quad with just a little modding, so some people can utilize the extra size. Otherwise, I'd use a Triple.

Reservoir:

- Swiftech micro MCres v2 - $21 - $23. - Small, and one of the easiest and most versatile reservoirs around. It makes bleeding much quicker than when using a T-line. I'd use it as: Top Fill, Bottom Drain, and of course side inlet/outlet.

Tubing:

- Primochill LRT 1/2" x 3/4" - $1.75 - $1.85/ft. (Tygon is more expensive, and bend radius is similar).

Clamps: regular worm-drive... very inexpensive ($5 or less for all). Ugly, but still the most reliable with regard to actual clamping. Could use plastic clamps if they're just too ugly.

Barbs/Fittings: Dangerden Fatboys w/ O-ring (Oem'ed by Bitspower as their high-flow barb): Provides slightly more flow... I got some used at $1.50 each, but otherwise you'd have to pay $2.50 each.

Silver Kill Coil: $2-$4. You'd need one - drop in reservoir.

Distilled Water: grocery store...

Back