best video card for around $100?

ChingChang

Supreme [H]ardness
I'd like to spend between 80 and 100 for a decent card that will fold 24/7. What is the best one for this price and how many ppd would it get?

A 8800GS or 9800GSO is your best bang for the buck. It can produce about 4000-4500 ppd.

If you don't mind rebates, the 9800 GT can be found for around $100 after rebate.

IMO and without a doubt the 8800GS or the 9600GSO are the best "bang for the buck" GPU card for using the Stanford GPU2 F@H client. :D

ATM I have a EVGA 8800GS doing 4659 PpD (I just purchased a EVGA 9600GSO for USD $70.77 including postage on Ebay, no freakin' MIR garbage) and a PNY 8800GT that's only doing 5057 PpD I got it for about USD $112 dollars and could have done a MIR thing of $30 bucks or so, but it's not worth the MIR gamble of if it's going to work, time frame crap of if they're going to accept it, the hassle of copying documentation. (I don't have a printer and don't want a printer :mad:)

From what I've read and surmise the 9600GSO is just a rebranded 8800GS. I am very, very satisfied with my EVGA 8800GS, life time warranty. cool running (only single slot) and it gets consistantly about 400 PpD less than it's bigger brother/sister the 8800GT.

I haven't got my EVGA 9600GSO yet, but when I do I'll post any results I get. I'm planning on running the Stanford GPU2 F@H client under WinXP x64 on a OC'ed to 3.0 Ghz E6600 (I had a lonely, dusty WinXP x64 CD in my drawer going unused for the last year or so) I've already DL'ed the x64 178.13 driver and the v2.11 Riva Tuner. (so far everything else I want to use works, ie Real Temp, FAHmon, Logitech Webcam, CAM Wizard Webcam security, etc :p)

OBTW: In keeping with the tradition of [H]ard|Forum, I have the fans on both cards set manually to 80%. The GS shaders are OC'ed to 1776 and the GT shaders are OC'ed 1809 I figure I could increase the shader OC's on both cards, but I'm satisfied with the way they are now :D (at an ambient of about 24c/26c my EVGA 8800GS runs about 52c and my PNY 8800GT runs about 55c, both cards are doing the Stanford GPU2 F@H client 24/7 (the 8800GS is in a Q6600 only OC'ed to 2.8 Ghz and the 8800GT is in a Q6600 only OCed to 3.0 Ghz)

It goes without saying these may not be you're exact results due to hardware differences, OC' differences, WU and point differences and a few other things. Even with how the "Computer Gods" happen to feel at the time. (always keep plenty of fresh chickens availiable, just ask noma8u on how to do that :p)

Folding and WCGing for a CURE

not bad, I don't like MIR but it's only $75 before rebate. It won't be used for gaming or anything, it's mostly going to be idle.

4000+ ppd is crazy.. I've been folding for years and only have 1500 ppd from all the computers total.
How much would a radeon HD 4850 get? I might get one of those for a different computer.
is nvidia better for folding? or is it just recommended because of the price

How much would a radeon HD 4850 get? I might get one of those for a different computer. is nvidia better for folding? or is it just recommended because of the price
It depends on the card but nVidia is generally better for folding. You won't find a deal like the above from the Ati camp, not even close in terms of PPD per dollar. If you're mostly thinking about folding, get something from nVidia, there are a lot of choices.

Like I said in my previous post when I got my EVGA 9600GSO I'd post the stats.
So here they are : E6600, OC'ed 3.0 Ghz, EVGA 9600GSO "dual slot" GPU card (USD $70.77 + shipping on Ebay, super fast shipping), WinXP x64, Ambient 23c, core temp (Riva Tuner v2.11) 52c w/24/7 folding, fan fixed duty cycle 80.77 %, PpD according to FAHmon 2.3.2b, crunching a 5506 WU, it's getting 4766 PpD and the shaders are only OC'ed @ 1788. (I'm sure the shaders would have gone higher) :D

IMO getting 4766 PpD for $70 freaking dollars and no hassles at all ain't too shaby. (setting it up even under WinXP x64 OS etc) It's a complete and utter "no brainer",,just follow the instructions from our knowledgeable forum members (they're always glad to help out a fellow folder), pay careful attention to the F@H download web page and don't "add lib" (I know it's hard not to for us crazy learnee's) :p

All this shite and no dead chickens or messy clean up :rolleyes:

Folding and WCGing for a CURE

What he ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ said. The 9600 GSO is the best bang for your buck right now;)

I'm getting 4900+ppd on that 8800GS overclocked on an old PentD Atlest I was when I could get steady work, no server delays.

Back