Best VPN Client App

PTNL

Supreme [H]ardness
Does anyone have any experience or preference with a client-side VPN application that communicates with a hardware-based VPN appliance?

I'm currently using a Linksys BEFSX41 VPN appliance so I can connect to my home network, and have used "SSH Sentinel v1.322" in the past, but I'm looking for an alternative.
"Free" is always a plus, but I don't have a problem paying for an application -- I'd just like to get some opinions before I drop some coin for piece of software.

The application would be on my Dell laptop: P3-600, 512 MB SDRAM, WinXP Pro (with SP2), Linksys PCMCIA 54g WiFi card.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated !!

I've found the VPN client that comes with Windows XP works with most IPSEC and PPTP based solutions, with the exception of Cisco VPN concentrators.

Microsofts VPN client is the most simple in my mind. I have used Checkpoints VPN1 and cisco's client.

thanks for the posts so far!

if possible, i'd rather avoid directly manipulating the machines local ipsec policy, but instead have a front end utility that can automatically make those changes and connect to my home linksys vpn box with just a few clicks.

not to completely rule out the suggestions so far, i would be interested in reading any writeups that people have used that simply explain how to get this kind of connection working when going to a stand-alone vpn box (as opposed to a vpn-enabled operating system like win2k server).

PTNL said:
thanks for the posts so far!

if possible, i'd rather avoid directly manipulating the machines local ipsec policy, but instead have a front end utility that can automatically make those changes and connect to my home linksys vpn box with just a few clicks.

not to completely rule out the suggestions so far, i would be interested in reading any writeups that people have used that simply explain how to get this kind of connection working when going to a stand-alone vpn box (as opposed to a vpn-enabled operating system like win2k server).

Linkys own website has a step by step guide.

Back