Best way to light up my current keyboard.

Trinitrotoluene

Limp Gawd
It is on a wood pullout tray. I was thinking of mounting some type of light under the desk so I can actually see my keyboard when gaming. I do not think any type of cold cathod or LED would work because my computer is somewhat far away for hookup so some type of light with an AC plug would be best. However, halogen tube lamps would probably be overkill and too big. Any suggestions?

On xoxide you can get a Logisys keyboard that is completely clear. Then get what I call a wall-mount psu. It's basically an ac adapter with a molex on the end. Third, get a cold cathode kit and plug it into the inverter. The keyboard has a space under it for CCFLs.

shadowbreaker513 said:
On xoxide you can get a Logisys keyboard that is completely clear. Then get what I call a wall-mount psu. It's basically an ac adapter with a molex on the end. Third, get a cold cathode kit and plug it into the inverter. The keyboard has a space under it for CCFLs.

I want to keep my nice, big logitech keyboard though. I just found an old Cooler Master Aurora Cold Cathode light but the wire is too short. However, the adapter it comes with has an AC input (I believe it is six small pins) along with the standard DC. How do I utilize the AC?

get a cathode; get an old psu; hot wire the psu, plug cathode into hotwired psu
DSCF0942.jpg

Mount setup under desk, and viola
P1022611.jpg

My dad bought a saitek gamers keyboard cause it lit up; and realized hecoudlnt see the keys int he dark even though it glowed; so i "pimped his desk" ;)

They do sell these little GE lamps that you mount underneath things.

here

crap...the link isnt working, well that link will take you to the lighting page. Down the list there is browse by brand , click GE and its the one that's $8.99. Its basically an 18" fluorescent light you can mount on the bottom surface of things such as a shelf or counter. They are only about 1" tall, it would depend on your desk but that should leave you enough clearence.

worminator that looks great but I don't have an extra power supply and don't want to go through the hassle of doing that. If I could just find an extention wire for the xtra cold cathode I have it would work because it would enable me to plug it into the power supply.

I think I just might head on over to Home Depot and pickup a small undercabinet fluorescent

I know you said you want a way to light up your current keyboard, but this is just and idea for you and other people on this thread:

Illuminated Keyboard

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Or buy some electroluminescent sheet and mod up a wireless keyboard. Mine runs on a 9v, battery and switch are both located on the left rear of the keyboard.

IMG_2762_crop.jpg

I use two high power red LED's mounted on top of extra keys from a dead keyboard at the top two corners of my keybaord. They connect to the 5v line from inside the keyboard and use a toggle switch on the side. It works well, it's cheap, and it will travel with your keyboard, unlike any changes to the desk.

GhostDog said:
Or buy some electroluminescent sheet and mod up a wireless keyboard. Mine runs on a 9v, battery and switch are both located on the left rear of the keyboard.

IMG_2762_crop.jpg

YOU BASTARD!!!!! That's what I've been trying to do to my keyboard!!!! I guess great minds think alike :D.

That's the same keyboard I have but I used LEDs in mine. I replaced the origional black plastic backing on the keyboard with plexi that I cut and shaped to match the origional pieces. I then painted the bottom with highly reflective silver paint. My final step was to wire up the LEDs in parallel off of the keyboard's build in battery holder so the LEDs are powered off of the same power supply for the keyboard itself and wired a switch up to turn off the LEDs only.

I'd be interested in seeing how you achieved yours.

strap dual flashlights to your shoulders which are aimed down at the keyboard.

INSTANT KEYBOARD LIGHTING.

then put a mirror on top of your keyboard and let the light reflect into your eyes, giving you the ultimate viewing experience.

GhostDog said:

IMG_2762_crop.jpg

I'd be curious to see how this was done as well (i have that keyboard too)... as someone mentioned above it looks awesome...

Trinitrotoluene said:
It is on a wood pullout tray. I was thinking of mounting some type of light under the desk so I can actually see my keyboard when gaming. ... Any suggestions?

Desk lamp? ;)

*hide*

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=77105

i have one those ontop of my table. i have the multi colored one and i let go through ea. color and i also have a light up mouse pad. both use 1 USB port ea. the light kit cost 15 buks @ compUSSR lol the mousepad was 25 shipped from some website i cant remember right now.

i might do the el wire idea to my logitech elite keyboard, maybe ill figure out a way how to drill a small hole and run the power wire underneath the keyboard.

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=77105

i have one those ontop of my table. i have the multi colored one and i let go through ea. color and i also have a light up mouse pad. both use 1 USB port ea. the light kit cost 15 buks @ compUSSR lol the mousepad was 25 shipped from some website i cant remember right now.

i might do the el wire idea to my logitech elite keyboard, maybe ill figure out a way how to drill a small hole and run the power wire underneath the keyboard.

Back