Best wired router (and other networking questions)

kmS

Limp Gawd
Alright first of all let me give you my situation and you can shoot me some solutions, sorry if this sounds noobish esp. since I'm going to go school for this stuff, but here it goes. We have a DSL gateway going to a 4 port wired router, and let me say here that wireless will probably not be an option for my situation, from the routher one goes to my dad's office, my room, my sisters room, and my mom's computer. Now, the problem begins as in my room I have two computers that I need to give internet to (my lappy and desktop), first of all, is it alright to "stair step" two routers on top of each other, I mean I've done it for a little while and there doesn't seem to be a lot of issues but lately the whole network has been getting connectivity issues, etc. So my question arises what wired router you would recommend for my room to give internet to my lappy and desktop (my current Netgear drops internet consistently and is just more of a headache then I'd like to go through), or do you have a better suggestion for my situation? Or would wireless be the only solution for my problem, can't I just get a wirless router and go wired from the 4 ports most have in the back as well? Shoot me some ideas guys, I'd like to get this take care of before I go back to school in a couple weeks.

Buy a small 8 port switch, or a bigger one if you think you will keep adding machines. Plug the switch into the router. Plug all the computers into the switch. That will solve your capacity problem.

As far as your Netgear dropping its internet connection constantly, that is unusual and could be a problem with its configuration or with your DSL line or DSL modem. Netgears are decent routers, you should try to troubleshoot the issue with your DSL provider before you chuck it out.

What about like a 5 port switch in my room? I say that because I cannot plausibly hook all the computers into the switch if it was hooked into my router (router is in the basement, my room is on the 2nd floor I couldn't route the cables), so I would hook a Cat 5 cable coming from the router downstairs to a switch, and then two more out of the switch to my desktop and lappy, would that work?

also, check your cables, one might be damaged if your getting intermittent connection loss

Back