Best WYSIWYG Web-Page Creator?

Carnival Forces

Supreme [H]ardness
i have some HTML and JavaScript knowledge, but i'd much prefer to use a WYSIWYG page creator then do one by hand.

i'd like to know, what is the most powerful WYSIWYG editor you know of?
here's what's important to me:
1. Ease of use
2. Capability
3. Efficiency of code

thanks!

I guess FrontPage2003 or Dreamweaver MX and newer, but they both seem to generate a lot of useless code.

You might want to check out NVU sponsored by Linspire Linux distro. It's aimed at crafting a web development environment based around the Mozilla composer. Have not used it myself, though I hear it's pretty good.

sweet man, Nvu looks tight!

now then, if i were to go with a host like Total Choic Hosting, and i wanted to upload a web-site i created in Nvu, how would i go about doing it?

just send them the *.html / *.css / *.zip / *.mpeg / *.jpg etc. etc. files i want on there?

like if i have the entire webpage created, how do i get it on my Host's webserver?

Hey, I'm with Totalchoice!

Anyway, after you've made your page and stuff, you just upload it to your site - two ways you can do this - over FTP or via the uploader in your website's control panel (like cpanel).

okay, thanks.

yeah, me and a few friends are gonna start a revolution, so we need a website ;)

being the most technically inclined, that job falls to me. thanks for helping me out, man.

BillLeeLee said:
I guess FrontPage2003 or Dreamweaver MX and newer, but they both seem to generate a lot of useless code.
I've used both and I'd have to say that Dreamweaver MX generates *far* less (virtually no) superfluous code than FrontPage. I've used it quite extensively and still use it to this day because of how clean it's code is. But, then again, I write code in the split "code/layout" view so that I'm always in control of the code being created.

Dreamweaver MX 2004 is Macromedia's attempt to go 100% CSS with page layout and it *does* generate a crap load of un-neccessary code.

I've used NVu a few times to get a feel for it and have generally liked it. I have to give kudos to Macromedia for how they handle "sites" and site templates. Once NVu gets up to this level of template management, I think it'll be a real competitor.

svet-am said:
I've used both and I'd have to say that Dreamweaver MX generates *far* less (virtually no) superfluous code than FrontPage. I've used it quite extensively and still use it to this day because of how clean it's code is. But, then again, I write code in the split "code/layout" view so that I'm always in control of the code being created.

Dreamweaver MX 2004 is Macromedia's attempt to go 100% CSS with page layout and it *does* generate a crap load of un-neccessary code.

I've used NVu a few times to get a feel for it and have generally liked it. I have to give kudos to Macromedia for how they handle "sites" and site templates. Once NVu gets up to this level of template management, I think it'll be a real competitor.
so, how exactly is NVu lacking in template managment?

It *does* let you generate templates in a manner very similar to Dreamweaver, however that's about where it stops.

In Dreamweaver, when you define a site and then a template for that site, the program automatically updates any pages based on that template with the changes that you may make to the template.

For example, say you define a basic layout that has a header, body, and footer. Then, you make a whole bunch of pages based on this template and the only thing that differs between them is the content in the body. All is well.

Then, consider you have a typo in the header. Well, in Dreamweaver, all you have to do is go fix the typo in the template file and Dreamweaver will go out in your site and find all of the pages based on that template and fix the typo in them as well. Nvu is not to this level yet. With Nvu, you'd still have to go out and fix all of the pages individually.

This automated updating was *very* beneficial when I was the webmaster for the University of Southern Mississippi and my team was managing ~1000 pages based on the same template. Imagine fixing a typo in all of those pages by hand :p

ahh, i get it. that would suck.

assuming you're 1337 w/ Batch Files, i suppose you could do the same thing...

Back