Bestbuy Canada - Precision Acoustics HD S10 subwoofer for $129

leetpyro

Limp Gawd
Saw this in this week's flyer, it can be found at this page. Not sure if it's on sale, or just a price drop, doesn't really say.

I was planning on getting this along with the Behringer MS40s. Does anyone know/have any idea how this sub would sound? How do you think this would compare with say a Dayton 10" sub?

I have listened to that exact sub. It is cheap for a reason, and can't even come close to the cheapest Dayton offers. It's really tough to beat the Dayton stuff on bang-for-the-buck.

I have listened to that exact sub. It is cheap for a reason, and can't even come close to the cheapest Dayton offers. It's really tough to beat the Dayton stuff on bang-for-the-buck.

Thanks for the response, I guess I'll stay away from that sub. I really want the Dayton sub, but it's hard to get it up here in Canada. Could you possibly recommend something similar in quality/price that I may be able to get here? I am willing to spend around $200 on the sub.

Thanks in advance.

Polk Audio subs can be had for decent prices if you shop around and are easily available in Canada. My sub is Energy but have a friend with a Polk sub and it is not bad.

Thanks for the response, I guess I'll stay away from that sub. I really want the Dayton sub, but it's hard to get it up here in Canada. Could you possibly recommend something similar in quality/price that I may be able to get here? I am willing to spend around $200 on the sub.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.mach5audio.com/zen/index.php

Talk to Mark (owner). He's a very good guy, helpful as hell, and located in Canada. His products won't let you down, and they're dirt cheap also.

Audio is audio. Marketing determines whether it is for home or car. i've used Dayton RS's and Titanics in my car before, as well as I currently have Sundownz SD10v2's in my living room. Application is all that determines what a driver is for. (note: occasionally some "home" drivers don't work well in automotive environment due to untreated paper cones soaking moisture. They just don't last long).

Also, I have seen numerous installs of the big 18 from Mach 5 in infinite baffle. Stunning.

Audio is audio. Marketing determines whether it is for home or car. i've used Dayton RS's and Titanics in my car before, as well as I currently have Sundownz SD10v2's in my living room. Application is all that determines what a driver is for. (note: occasionally some "home" drivers don't work well in automotive environment due to untreated paper cones soaking moisture. They just don't last long).

Also, I have seen numerous installs of the big 18 from Mach 5 in infinite baffle. Stunning.

So what about enclosures and connectivity? Do these guys supply enclosures as well or would I have to buy that separate? Does it connect to a home audio setup like a normal "home audio sub"? I've never really dealt with these kind of subs before. In fact, I've never really dealt with a setup other than crappy "PC speaker" ones.

So do these really sound like good subs meant for home audio setups? I understand what you are saying, but my perspective of car subs has usually been just a crap load of boom but not much detail.

Oh yea, and how much power do these things use? Is it also the same as a home audio sub?

Thanks again for your help.

And sorry for all the "noob" questions. I am pretty new when it comes to this stuff. :p

What's an infinite baffle? Everything is finite.

I don't think he wants to build his own. Take my advice and just go find a retailer selling Polk Audio subs and give them a listen. I see Visions in Canada has a Vector Research 12" 150w sub on sale right now for $88.00 but I have no idea what Vector Research is like for sound quality. Frequence response is 32Hz to 150Hz which is not very low for a 12" at all. Good 12" should be able to go down to 20hz or even 16hz on some.

http://www2.visions.ca/catalogue/category/Details.aspx?menuId=368&categoryId=368&productId=79

So what about enclosures and connectivity? Do these guys supply enclosures as well or would I have to buy that separate? Does it connect to a home audio setup like a normal "home audio sub"? I've never really dealt with these kind of subs before. In fact, I've never really dealt with a setup other than crappy "PC speaker" ones.

So do these really sound like good subs meant for home audio setups? I understand what you are saying, but my perspective of car subs has usually been just a crap load of boom but not much detail.

Oh yea, and how much power do these things use? Is it also the same as a home audio sub?

Thanks again for your help.

And sorry for all the "noob" questions. I am pretty new when it comes to this stuff. :p

Ah, sorry. When you mentioned Dayton, I assumed you were a DIY kinda guy. I forgot they have been doing complete kits.

For a complete sub, the Polks mentioned here are decent. I tend to gravitate to BIC, HSU, or Elemental Designs for my complete units as their prices are good. All are available in Canada.

Ah, sorry. When you mentioned Dayton, I assumed you were a DIY kinda guy. I forgot they have been doing complete kits.

For a complete sub, the Polks mentioned here are decent. I tend to gravitate to BIC, HSU, or Elemental Designs for my complete units as their prices are good. All are available in Canada.

Would you be able to give me a few recommendations from those companies? Any for about $200?

HSU is supposed to be very good but they are not easy to find in retail outlets. I expect you can only find them in major cities like Toronto, Montreal and maybe Vancouver.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/

Yea I've heard good things about them, but their cheapest sub is $300. Not sure either what retail stores would carry these, but I do live in Toronto.

Back