Beta client for nvidia is out

they don't support any 64-bit windows? smooth start for this client already :rolleyes:

hope they get that fixed soon, cuz i'm pretty happy with server 2008 x64, and i'm not about to downgrade to XP for the GPU2 client.

Doh! Got a new workstation here at work with a Quadro FX3700 (pretty much same hardware as an 8800GT), but it's running XP x64, so no dice.

any idea when 64 bit will be supported? is it a problem on stanford's end or nvidia drivers?

any idea when 64 bit will be supported? is it a problem on stanford's end or nvidia drivers?

reading on the folding forums, a couple people seem to have had success w/ a .inf modification on a newer set of drivers (ones for the 260 and 280 cards), so i would venture a guess that it's driver related.

no 64bit? thats new? stanford doesn't run any of their programs in 64 bit afaik

linux smp is 64-bit only still, and windows smp has at least worked in win 64 since it began....i'm guessing in this case, the 64-bit driver set that they officially support was probably just on the fritz for the time being.

vvv in before ninja edit :p

reading on the folding forums, a couple people seem to have had success w/ a .inf modification on a newer set of drivers (ones for the 260 and 280 cards), so i would venture a guess that it's driver related.

Correct. Scott said that a upcoming driver will fix and 2 people is running the new 177.32 driver (released only for the GTX 200 series) with a edited inf file to be installed on any GF 8/9 GPU. So far, they said it works fine but there is still some random BSOD and slowness issues. I guess that they are currently working to make it work for everyone before doing a official release.

Does anyone know if I would get more ppd running the gpu client on my 8800gs or
running the smp client? Or can I run both?

Does anyone know if I would get more ppd running the gpu client on my 8800gs or
running the smp client? Or can I run both?

If you have a quad core, you can run both but with a dual core, you must run either one. However, if you get the GPU2 client, you can also run a console client on the other core for some extra bonus.

Right now, the cutting like would be a 8800GTS 320MB and yours might be worth running. You can do some testing (the GPU2 have a quick WU turnaround so you can see after 1 hour if the ppd is better that way or with the SMP).

I guess I'll grab the 177.35 driver and mod the inf. I'm too impatient to wait for the official fix.

I was wondering if you need to disable sli for the client to run? It only tells you that sli is not supported right now in the FAQ.:confused:

Also in the faq it states windows xp and windows vista, but does not state that it has no support for vista/xp 64bit. Or do I need to look in the forums for that?

Thanks

A note to Vista 64 users, when you mod the .inf it unsigns the driver so you will need to press f8 and disable driver signing before installing. You will also need to press f8 and disable signing every time you reboot the computer or else the display driver will not load.

For those wondering about x64 support, read that thread about how to replace the inf file of the 177.35 driver : http://www.overclock.net/4036764-post14.html

Do you need to be running the 177.35 driver? I have a 8800GTX on Vista 64 and the newest driver standard or beta is 175.16 the 177.35 driver is for the newly released cards. Will the mod work with the 175.16 driver?

0.png

175.16 shouldn't work since it doesn't have the CUDA driver. It's either 174.55 or 177.35 (for x64 support).

Do you need to be running the 177.35 driver? I have a 8800GTX on Vista 64 and the newest driver standard or beta is 175.16 the 177.35 driver is for the newly released cards. Will the mod work with the 175.16 driver?

0.png

You will need to run 177.35 as it has the support for CUDA. Modifying the inf file allows you to install it even though it should only be for the newer cards. The mod may work for the 175.16, but that driver will not allow you to fold.

175.16 works for me on Win XP x86 with 8600GT

The GUI is extremely unresponsive but it is folding. Going to try 174.55 to see if it is any better.

It says that I'll be getting 3528ppd, that seems crazy for an 8800gs and an x2 4000.

The GUI is buggy so don't use it for now. Use other means to monitor like using fahmon or checking the fahlog.txt periodically.

I tried FAHmon, it couldn't get it to work.

BTW 174.55 is MUCH better than 175.16, GUI still sucks, but the system as a whole is much more responsive.

I tried FAHmon, it couldn't get it to work.

BTW 174.55 is MUCH better than 175.16, GUI still sucks, but the system as a whole is much more responsive.

To make fahmon monitor the GPU2 client, open the GPU2 shortcut properties, copy the Start in field minus the quotes then paste it in the new client path in fahmon.

I'm currently downloading the driver from nvidia's servers at a whopping 425 bytes/sec. anybody else?

Is that working? I was under the impression only the ones from the cuda site would work.

they're working at 4500PPD....i'm guessing the new ones include the CUDA patches in them...it ran me 55 megs.

oh. that driver is for x64.

I can't find a download for 174.55 other than the one from the cuda site.

Has anyone used the 175.80 drivers with this client? Im getting a wierd issue where the client does not work if i close the display window... Any suggestions?

Okay, I've read all the threads.. but someone simplify this for me? ;)

It will still work if you have SLI, right? But it will only use one card? Or do I have to disable one..?
And also, this is supposed to get more PPD than the SMP clients, yes?

Okay, I've read all the threads.. but someone simplify this for me? ;)

It will still work if you have SLI, right? But it will only use one card? Or do I have to disable one..?
And also, this is supposed to get more PPD than the SMP clients, yes?

For now, you have to disable SLI to make the client work. A future client update will make this work (dunno how but it's under works).

Back