Release Highlights:

* BETA driver to support the availability of the game Black and White 2
* Mixed vendor support for NVIDIA SLI
* Performance enhancements for Dual-core CPUs
* PureVideo high definition de-interlacing support
* Usability enhancements when connecting to an HDTV
* For a full list of known issues please view the Release Notes
* Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0c and OpenGL® 2.0 support

So is this only going to help dual core processors or will hyper threading p4's see a gain too?

Dual core is completely different to how hyperthreading works, if you can understand that.

So can we get some numbers at 1280 and above with 4xAA and 16AF Dual Core CPU versus Single Core CPU. I'm interested to see what benefit these will actually have at the resolution we all play at.

stickified, ForceWare 80 series is a big release, new features for SLI and performance improvements

you can mismatch vendors, frame buffer size, and even clock speeds and the cards will still maintain the same clock speeds between themselves in SLI

I will report in with how it works in quadro mode.

Here is hoping they even tested it for quadros.

EDIT: Holy crap what a good set of drivers. These work wonderfuly in quadro mode. Still a slight problem with vsync and 3dstudio, but I don't think vsync was even working at all with windowed 3d on the 77.56 ones...

Doom3 runs faster at max settings for me... integration with other 3dapps is pretty seemless.

I am liking these drivers. on my x2 system they feel so snappy. (but I am unsure, yet if /nopmtimer makes a difference... I will try with it off and see)

Yashu said:
I am liking these drivers. on my x2 system they feel so snappy. (but I am unsure, yet if /nopmtimer makes a difference... I will try with it off and see)

You mean /USEpmtimer, right?

And it does make a difference in several benchmark programs (and, reportedly, some games).

yes usepmtimer...

I know it makes a difference in general... but I wonder if it effects the multithreading ability of these drivers.

I am not using them anymore... they seem to have a serious memory leak in quadro mode. after a little while things get soooo sloooow.

I use 3dstudio too much to want to use the card as a regular geforce.

Hmm...this new driver seem to behave almost the same as the 81.82 driver (at least on my setup). Which means an even smoother gaming experience than the 7x.xx series. :cool:

Still problems with NF3 chipsets and 6xxx series cards :rolleyes:

It doesnt stutter, now it just drops off performance by a half and has flashing textures everywhere.

I'll give them a try when I get a chance. I'll see if I gain any performance with them.

wow lots of improvements for Nvidia since the original release of SLI (mix vendor ooomg)

gonna try these for my dual core, results tomorrow

ChronicTrees said:
So is this only going to help dual core processors or will hyper threading p4's see a gain too?

I run a P4 2.6C w/ HT and I saw an average of 10FPS gain in all games. However, my Source games seem to have inherited an intermittent slowdown (About 1 second apiece).

8x.xx drivers are just spoilers for the launch of the X1000 series.

Its Nvidia's "Ace" they've been holding back. It still needs work though obviously. (bugs)

I suspect Nvidia will release a gapfiller like a 7800 Ultra with 512Mb of ram and higher clocks (probably 500+/1500 maybe more if they go to 90nm) just to regain the crown before Xmas.

I also heard that you can pre-order your X1800 XT and it will ship with Duke Nukem Forever! ;) LOL

Bah, I was meaning to reboot and clean out my nVidia drivers to install these, as I already removed my 81.82's, just to see if they're any better. I know the first set of 81xx to leak were extremely buggy for me (flashing textures, as well as game-slowdown), but the 81.82's were pretty solid...hopefully the 81.84's will fix the strange CS:Source crashing problem.

chrisf6969 said:
8x.xx drivers are just spoilers for the launch of the X1000 series.
B&W2 is a big release and the bug fix is very welcome. I might pick it up today at Fry's for $38. :D

Currently running the 81.82's on my 7800GT. Are these 81.84's any different?

More bugs/less bugs? Faster/slower?

Bah...I'm getting poor performance in F.E.A.R. (including lockups), HL2, and Far Cry 64-bit won't even run!

Well. HL2 is still running for me .Don't have F.E.A.R. never downloaded it. Gonna test BF2, there was always some corruption with the water with the 8x.xx drivers.

Installing the new BF2 patch now. I'll give it a try on the .82's and then the .84's and see if there is any difference.

bad stuttering in HL2 and CS:S for me :mad:

edit also breaks the WDM driver

Well Im holding off on trying out the 81.64's after reading all the bad responses so far, not only in this thread. Very happy with the 81.82's.

Hopefully I'll have some time when I get home from work tonight to load these and try them out. Usually the 64bit driver betas work great for me.

My 3dM 2005 results:

78.05 = 12,700-12,800ish

81.84 = 13885

Well they work for me so far.

3dMark score stayed about the same. However I played around with doom3 and can run high quality in game at 1280x1024 (monitor res) with 8xAA (set in game) and TSAA set in the driver and the timedemo gives 50fps while in game it stays around 60 with drops to 24 if I get close to an imp and he chunks a fireball point blank. Setup is a 4000+ and two eVGA 7800GT CO's.

Usually those kind of errors are indicitave of RAM/CPU stability or the stability of the program itself.

Anyways Gamma AA causes problems in games like BF2, mucho stuttering with it on.

Bop said:
Usually those kind of errors are indicitave of RAM/CPU stability or the stability of the program itself.

Anyways Gamma AA causes problems in games like BF2, mucho stuttering with it on.
Sorry, but I'm not even close to maxing out either my memory or Venice as these settings. This Venice is 48 hour+ prime stable at this speed, and the memory is dual 32M SuperPI/Memtest86+ stable at this setting, and has ran 3DMark countless times, including once yesterday on the 81.82's. Trust me, it's the drivers.

Edit: Yeah, tried the trusty ol' 77.77's and viola, no 3DMark05 problems at all. Meh, 7xxx for me then.

Is it me or should "beta" and "official" never be uttered in the same breath?

My 3D Mark performance went up. UT2004 was fine. FarCry was ALL SCREWED UP. The HDR no longer renders correctly. It puts a red HDR haze around the entire image. After turning that off, I found my FarCry FPS was less.

I just rebuilt my system not too long ago and I don't have anything else installed right now. But I'll test more later. One note on stability, I got a hardlock, then a machine check exception after playing UT for an hour. Don't know if that is the new driver or not. I wasn't even in the game when it happened, but that has NEVER happened to my system ever in it's history.

Bop said:

th3 godfather said:
these run bf2 very smoothly with my rig. i even turned on transparancy aa and still running strong :)

Hmmm. With the rig below, I run all high detail, 4xTSAA with gamma, ingame high AS, and clamp lod. With the 78.05 drivers, I had only "slight" slowdowns in big wild servers. But with the new 81.84's, I had to lower my AA to 2x, disable gamma and transparency in order to run pretty.

I'm gonna hold off for awhile I think.

Ratboy said:
Is it me or should "beta" and "official" never be uttered in the same breath?
Dumb question, but whats the difference between the two?
:D

Well, in context, Official drivers mean final drivers: Drivers that have been beta tested. Beta drivers are drivers that are being Beta tested. Test for bugs, incompatiblities, and crap like that right there.

slyven said:
Well, in context, Official drivers mean final drivers: Drivers that have been beta tested. Beta drivers are drivers that are being Beta tested. Test for bugs, incompatiblities, and crap like that right there.
So when can we expect the official drivers?

Just installed the latest, makes Fable : The Lost Chapters completly unplayable, so I'm going back to the latest stable.

I wish they would fix the issue of not being able to get into the monitor controls. :rolleyes:

And I don't have the box checked in the nvidia proporties that says to lock it.

The only way I can get into them is to turn off the monitor and turn it back on.

Back