Better board for O/C an E8400, Abit IP35-e or GA-P35-DS3L

kmS

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

Assuming I can get my hands on one (I just saw the thread posted about it being out of stock everywhere and I couldn't find one to save my life), what would be a better board of getting this bad boy close if not a bit over 4GHZ? I just ask b/c of previously stated concerns about the IP35 series handling the new Wolfdale chips, is this an issue anymore? If all else fails I would like to go with the Q6600 which I've heard the IP35-e handles very nicely, what do you guys think?

Speculation: DS3L

If you ask me, some of abit's boards are shoddy. Not all of them (see: IP35Pro).

Looks: IP35-E.

I have a ASUS P5N-E SLI board, I knew when i bought it i would have to update the BIOS for it to work with my E8400, but that was quick and painless on the ASUS board. Without adding any voltage or changing multipliers, simply unlinking the ram and changing the FSB from 1333, to 1600 it booted and ran orthos stable. That is only 3.6Ghz overclock, but it pretty much does it effortlessly so i imagine 4.0-4.2Ghz would be easy to achieve if you have experience overclocking. I don't so I've choosen to leave it at this modest 3.6Ghz. Besides im a gamer and some reviews i read before i bought the processor said you see the most performance gain
towards games at 3.6Ghz, after that the modest performance increase is not worth the extra amount of heat generated.

You will have better luck with the DS3L, though i've read of people having heat problems with it. the ABIT is hit and miss. There were quite a few posts about major issues requiring RMA. If you can spend a bit more the DS3R is better for the little more you're paying.

The thing is, is that I don't need RAID or the Legacy ports, etc. The only reason I think I'd spend the extra on the DS3R is if it somehow gave me a better O/C then the DS3L would.

The thing is, is that I don't need RAID or the Legacy ports, etc. The only reason I think I'd spend the extra on the DS3R is if it somehow gave me a better O/C then the DS3L would.

Might not be of any value to you but I got my Q6700 to 3.6 stable on air using the DS3R. I needed RAID which is why I opted for it.

I read on forums that the DS3L ran much hotter than the DS3R, esp on the NB. That alone might impact o/cing so you might need to buy an extra small fan. Other than that DS3L is far better than abit in terms of less headache of an RMA :)

abit ip35-e is great, plus the color scheme is great too. and the chipset and vregs run cool. my friend just got the combo (ip35-e + e8400) and he says it works great. so id go with the ip35-e

I read on forums that the DS3L ran much hotter than the DS3R, esp on the NB. That alone might impact o/cing so you might need to buy an extra small fan. Other than that DS3L is far better than abit in terms of less headache of an RMA :)

Stick a thermalright HR-05 on the NB and you should be good to go.

I went with the DS3L thanks everyone for your suggestions and no worries about the NB, I'm going to stick my Swiftech MCX159-CU on there and keep it nice and cool :)

Does the NB get excessively hot on the DS3L w/o OC, or only when you try and push 4GHZ out of a 3GHZ CPU ?

Also what about the Q6600 on the DS3L rather than the IP35-E? I guess I don't get why if the chip is the E8400 then its the DS3L mobo, but if it's Q6600 then it's IP35-E. I'm pretty sure the DS3L is compatible with the Quad-Core CPU.

Does the NB get excessively hot on the DS3L w/o OC, or only when you try and push 4GHZ out of a 3GHZ CPU ?

Also what about the Q6600 on the DS3L rather than the IP35-E? I guess I don't get why if the chip is the E8400 then its the DS3L mobo, but if it's Q6600 then it's IP35-E. I'm pretty sure the DS3L is compatible with the Quad-Core CPU.

Either CPU would work on either motherboards. I have worked with both and I say get which ever is cheaper. They both overclock well, though I do prefer Gigabyte's BIOS a bit because I have been using them for a long time. The Abit nb heatsink is better than Gigabyte's. Overall you can't go wrong with either.

Just wondering if there's some design flaw with the NB getting hot on the DS3L. I understand if it gets hot from OCing but if it gets hot just from stock speeds then that would be cause for concern.

Pop the pins on the back side of the board. Remove aluminium block. Scrub stupid grey crap off. Replace with AS5.

???
Profit.

(My G33 cooled down alot after changing it)

It just gets hot because its small.

OK, I too went with the GA-P35-DS3L. My first build and I'm trying to balance price/performance. There's a favorable review on xbitlabs.com that does discuss the NB getting warm but you guys have offered some good resolutions to that. I like the fact that it's a good OC'er and seems to be a solid choice for either the E8400 or the Q6600. The Egg had the DS3L for 89 with free ship coupon code so that's not bad I reckon. Just wondering if the Egg will ship me rev 1.0 or 2.0. According to xbitlabs.com though it's not a big deal either way.

I've been buying EVGA SLI motherboards for a long time now, so since you guys all seem to have XP with these non-sli intel boards, what's the board with the best warranty? I'm so used to the lifetime warranty that I don't even know, and no I'm not gonna go look every company's warranty info up. TIA.

What? Warranties still apply after overclocking?

I doubt it.

(Hell, the only warranty I really pay attention to is eVGA and XFXs. Overclocking for the win)

My friend got his E8400 to 4GHz on his IP35-E without raising voltages and is 100% stable. He loves that board and temps seem to read correctly with the latest BIOS and Abit temp reader.

My friend got his E8400 to 4GHz on his IP35-E without raising voltages and is 100% stable. He loves that board and temps seem to read correctly with the latest BIOS and Abit temp reader.

100% stable as in, can boot to windows? or 8+ hours on prime95?
and what are his volts?

What? Warranties still apply after overclocking?

I doubt it.

(Hell, the only warranty I really pay attention to is eVGA and XFXs. Overclocking for the win)

I don't know where you've been, but yes, warranties still apply after overclocking. EVGA even seems to encourage it, hell I thought it was common knowledge.

Anyways, I've still not seen any of these other schmucks ( Asus, Gigabyte, Abit, etc etc) that offer anything even remotely close to EVGA, XFX, etc. Yet people still buy from them, and I guess if the warranty runs out, or if they modify the board and it quits working, they just throw it away and buy another one?

I've seen the IP35-E hit 4.0 Ghz on E8400s pretty easily. Fully stable, 6 hrs+ Orthos.

Very, very underrated board. Got mine for $66 after MIR @ Newegg a couple weeks back. :)

Both boards are good for OC'ing. As far as which is better for the E8400, I'm not sure which has a more likely chance of working with it right out of the box -- my guess would be the DS3L (since the IP35 Pro's have probs with the E8400; though, not sure if that propogates down the line to the IP35-E).

In any case, from my experience, if you try to push either of those boards past 425Mhz FSB SDR, you're going to need additional or better cooling for the NB. So, it really depends on your OC'ing goals. To reach 4Ghz out of the E8400, you'd need 445Mhz FSB SDR at least, so right there, you're past my personal threshold for those stock heatsinks on both of those boards. Grab a 40mm fan and glue it to the HS, or replace the HS with a TR HR-05(-SLI/IFX), as mentioned earlier.

I've been running the DS3L with a G0 Q6600 for almost a week now at 3GHz. Like other posters have said, the NB runs a bit hot, but I haven't replaced the thermal compound yet (thanks for the suggestion). I picked this board out of the competition in this price range because of the use of all-solid capacitors, which is a nice reassurance if you plan on having the extra heat of overclocking in your case.

Back