Better hurry, Refurb Shuttle MN31N NF2 IGP MCP-T $35

infin|ty said:
I dont understand what the fourth collom over means.

I'm really being retarded with this program...could you set it up for me...I have a Mobile 2500+ how would I get it to have like 2.1ghz with 1.65 vcore? FSB at like 166

I dont think you need a vcore of 1.65, graph from this thread
2200+xp-m35.gif

I would try 1.55 so here is one
1.55vcore.jpg

but if you REALLY want 1.65vcore, here it is
1.65vcore.jpg

edit: according to the graph, YOU DONT EVEN NEED A VOLTAGE INCREASE FOR 2.1ghz

So you MAY not need to do the 1.55 pinmod. 1.5 is the default voltage on the mobo. So you dont need to put the pins in, in the lower left on the graph unless your system isnt stable

infin|ty said:
btw do you think I should do the pinmod right away for put in the cpu first and boot up?

And do you mean you have to do it because everything you reboot your system is at a different clock speed?

damn your edits :p

Id wouldnt pinmod right away. Make sure your chip works first and get it to boot, thats the first priority.

what? do u mean everytime? W/o pinmod w/ a mobile, the clock speed is low. Laptops usually controll the speed but since this isnt a laptop, u should pinmod unless you want low speeds that change a bunch :p

Thanks alot for that info, I think I got the general idea of how to work the program now.

I'll think about what I want to do. Man, it was a pain when I had to go back and change the fsb or mulitiplyer just from the bios..now I have to take off the hsf and reapply therm paste!! BLAH

Lol it's for the best though. Thanks for the pics, very helpful.

You can set the thing to not fluxuate. If you right click desktop>properties>screen saver>power and set to always on. I THINK.

I noticed this when I tried to play Halo on my PC and it wouldnt allow the ability to change speeds so you have to set it to "always on."

Maybe i'm wrong but im off to play some CS..cya.

Okay guys, enough fucking around - it's haxxor time.

I've edited the BIOS, and I think I have made it to where it will allow frequency and voltage adjustments. I've also changed the default CPU and memory interfaces to Turbo and turned off DRAM PreCharge. I've also openned up the MAC address settings. It's time to unleash the beast.

edited - newest version: new BIOS

-SEAL

SEALTeamSix said:

I've edited the BIOS, and I think I have made it to where it will allow frequency and voltage adjustments. I've also changed the default CPU and memory interfaces to Turbo and turned off DRAM PreCharge. I've also openned up the MAC address settings. It's time to unleash the beast.

new BIOS

-SEAL

you

are

god

but damn, i was all proud that i pulled the pinmod off. I have a hard enough time microwaving mac and cheese. How did you do this? O and I will dl this and install it tomorrow once I get my rig setup.

This board is evil (at least in linux).
No matter what settings I set in the bios, agp was set to 100mhz pci set to 50mhz (even bios default settings). Caused file corruption.

idebus=50 kernel setting seems to work so far.

Works great in windows tho :eek:

Edit: Nope after an hour in linux, still crashed. Gerrrrr.

SEALTeamSix said:

new BIOS

-SEAL

I agree, you're my savior. E>Seal<3

Now tell me how this is done :D I'd love to know.

I used a program called ModBIN... it allows you to edit some parts of Award BIOS's... though as I'm going over my work now, it appears that I might not have gotten it to give the user frequency/voltage control. I know for a fact I did change the default settings on the interfaces, AGP aperature, that PreCharge bug, and some other stuff, but I don't know about the frequency... currently I can't test it, but maybe one of you could? The original BIOS image is available here if anything should go wrong (which it shouldn't). Normally I would do my own beta testing, but in this case I don't have my system set up yet.

BTW, here's a slight update with one of the settings changed: link. Instructions for flashing can be found here at the bottom of the page - the type of BIOS is Award/Pheonix, not AMI.

-SEAL

SEALTeamSix said:
I used a program called ModBIN... it allows you to edit some parts of Award BIOS's... though as I'm going over my work now, it appears that I might not have gotten it to give the user frequency/voltage control. I know for a fact I did change the default settings on the interfaces, AGP aperature, that PreCharge bug, and some other stuff, but I don't know about the frequency... currently I can't test it, but maybe one of you could? The original BIOS image is available here if anything should go wrong (which it shouldn't). Normally I would do my own beta testing, but in this case I don't have my system set up yet.

BTW, here's a slight update with one of the settings changed: link. Instructions for flashing can be found here at the bottom of the page - the type of BIOS is Award/Pheonix, not AMI.

-SEAL

So I put the BIOS you made on a floppy. Then use the bios flash instuctions off the shuttle webpage? The BIOS that you gave us, when I flash it, will it already have the interface change, agp aperature, and precharge bug and the other stuff already done for me? Or does this just allow me to change them? Now this ModBIN thing, you do that and you give us the final product right? :D I'll be back on tomorrow ready to roxx0r boxx0r...my mobile 2500+ should be here tomorrow:)

Make me proud SEAL.

Well, it's 5:11am here so I might hit the sack before it gets anymore light..the birds are already chirping :rolleyes: They're so annoying.

infin|ty said:
So I put the BIOS you made on a floppy. Then use the bios flash instuctions off the shuttle webpage? The BIOS that you gave us, when I flash it, will it already have the interface change, agp aperature, and precharge bug and the other stuff already done for me? Or does this just allow me to change them? Now this ModBIN thing, you do that and you give us the final product right? :D

Follow Shuttle's instructions on how to flash the BIOS and you will do it fine. My BIOS has all that crap changed, so the default settings will be the correct ones (Turbo interfaces, PreCharge bug fixed, etc). The only thing I don't know is whether or not it will allow you to change your VCore and all that (my ultimate goal), though at this point I suspect it won't :( But, I'm working on it :) so stay tuned - I WILL be successful. It turns out ModBIN might not be powerful enough to do all that I need to do to get the VCore adjustments, but I have other avenues to pursue :D Right now though I'm gonna get in a few ZZZ's... it's 4:30, and I have to be at work at 5:30... aaaaaargh...

edit: okay, so I couldn't get to sleep, so I went and searched a little more - right now this page is where I'm at - I've torn apart the BIOS into the individual ROM modules and am sifting through webpages on where exactly to find the voltage and multiplier settings and how to unlock them / make them available in a menu.

-SEAL

SEALTeamSix said:
Follow Shuttle's instructions on how to flash the BIOS and you will do it fine. My BIOS has all that crap changed, so the default settings will be the correct ones (Turbo interfaces, PreCharge bug fixed, etc). The only thing I don't know is whether or not it will allow you to change your VCore and all that (my ultimate goal), though at this point I suspect it won't :( But, I'm working on it :) so stay tuned - I WILL be successful. It turns out ModBIN might not be powerful enough to do all that I need to do to get the VCore adjustments, but I have other avenues to pursue :D Right now though I'm gonna get in a few ZZZ's... it's 4:30, and I have to be at work at 5:30... aaaaaargh...

edit: okay, so I couldn't get to sleep, so I went and searched a little more - right now this page is where I'm at - I've torn apart the BIOS into the individual ROM modules and am sifting through webpages on where exactly to find the voltage and multiplier settings and how to unlock them / make them available in a menu.

-SEAL

good luck and keep us posted!!

SEALTeamSix said:

-SEAL

You brighten my day :D

Btw: Just got my mobile 2500+ chip in today and set her up within 10mintues. Turner her on and bam, worked. I'm installing XP Home right now that I had from an older computer. I cant wait to turn on her front LED's and close the pod bay doors. I'll be your Guinea pig on the BIOS when I get my drivers and such installed. I have to put my wireless card in and everything + im headin out to the mall soon so it will be awhile.

Keep going on that BIOS material Seal!! We all believe in you.

Just to keep you guys posted, I just got back from work, and damn it felt long... but I'm back at home and gonna get to cooking up a BIOS after a short breather. I'll keep things posted...

-SEAL

SEALTeamSix said:
Just to keep you guys posted, I just got back from work, and damn it felt long... but I'm back at home and gonna get to cooking up a BIOS after a short breather. I'll keep things posted...

-SEAL
You seriously rock man, and i mean it sincerely. I'm gonna do research tonite in some shuttle/nf2 forums and see if i can provide us with any leads or information. I'll either edit this post or start a new one if this one drowns.

Doing searches for "MN31N" at NforceHQ, AMDMB Forum & some others. I see a lot of nice info already...

Good luck and fire away at us with questions or favors ;)

Well turns out the computer freezes right when it's done reformating and restarts and tries to load windows, gg. I hate life. I have a post about it in general hardware if anyone has suggestions.

The motherlode of MCP-T/Dolby audio:
Originall posted by Szandor from NforcersHQ:
You might want to check out the Asus SPDIF at NewEgg which appears to have the 2 x 5 configuration that you require. The Biostar product has changed from what they were selling 4 monthes ago as that one worked with MN31Ns. Your other option I believe is the Soyo SPDIF bracket which also has the 2 x 5 plug and also has rear channel and center/bass speaker jacks along with the optical and RCA in/out SPDIF jacks, that way you don't need to use your rear mic and audio in jacks for speakers. This is available at Soyo e-store for arounf $20.00
It's this real nice SPDIF bracket he's speaking of. This guy seems to be the mn31n guru over there and he's claiming that its a fully featured bracket with all the bells and whistles. Here's the info rich thread i quoted from. Newegg user reviewer's claim this shuttle spdif bracket works fine on the mn31n. There's a chance the Asus & Biostar spdif bracket may work too(?), come to think of it, i have an Asus one somewhere....i wish i knew the make of the one i have installed now. Here's an MSI accessory kit including SPDIF for only $11 shipped.

infin|ty said:
Well turns out the computer freezes right when it's done reformating and restarts and tries to load windows, gg. I hate life. I have a post about it in general hardware if anyone has suggestions.
Do a search for "MN31N" in the Shuttle forum over at NforcersHQ. You'll see a ton of possible "easy" fixes for that problem (sry can't remember any specific ones). Hope it works out well.

Edit: more SPDIF product links added above

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
infin|ty said:

Reformatting? You shouldn't have to reformat for a BIOS flash... though if you are trying to do it in Windows, it will need to reset the computer... my suggestion is to use AWFlash to do it (the one where you press a button during start-up to get to). My edited version of the BIOS doesn't have anything drastic done to it, just some of the default values changed, and I didn't do anything that I thought would have the remote chance to bork a board.

Here is a good tutorial by ASUS - the steps are the same for our Shuttle boards (though you don't need to copy AWFlash.exe or the BIOS to the hard drive, you can use them straight from the floppy.

edit: has anyone tried what I did to see if it worked in unlocking the voltage? I now don't think it would, but you never know until it's tested... :)

second edit: it might speed things up if someone would comb through some of the links at BIOS Central for me... I've gotta be in to work at 5:30am again tomorrow, so I won't be able to do too much more tonight... Basically, BIOSes are modular, and the one .BIN file is actually composed of several modules, each controlling various parts of what the whole BIOS needs to do. I'm able to break off the various modules, but so far I haven't been able to make sense of them - either I'm not looking at them using the right program (though I have used a hex-editor to view the files), or I'm not looking hard enough. Anyway, the jist of it is that if I could see where the default voltage was in the BIOS, or the way that it responds to what the CPU says it needs, I could change the value it would go to. So far, it looks like it might be in the ACPI ("(Advanced Configuration and Power Interface") module.

-SEAL

SEALTeamSix said:
Reformatting? You shouldn't have to reformat for a BIOS flash... though if you are trying to do it in Windows, it will need to reset the computer... my suggestion is to use AWFlash to do it (the one where you press a button during start-up to get to). My edited version of the BIOS doesn't have anything drastic done to it, just some of the default values changed, and I didn't do anything that I thought would have the remote chance to bork a board.

Here is a good tutorial by ASUS - the steps are the same for our Shuttle boards (though you don't need to copy AWFlash.exe or the BIOS to the hard drive, you can use them straight from the floppy.

edit: has anyone tried what I did to see if it worked in unlocking the voltage? I now don't think it would, but you never know until it's tested... :)

second edit: it might speed things up if someone would comb through some of the links at BIOS Central for me... I've gotta be in to work at 5:30am again tomorrow, so I won't be able to do too much more tonight... Basically, BIOSes are modular, and the one .BIN file is actually composed of several modules, each controlling various parts of what the whole BIOS needs to do. I'm able to break off the various modules, but so far I haven't been able to make sense of them - either I'm not looking at them using the right program (though I have used a hex-editor to view the files), or I'm not looking hard enough. Anyway, the jist of it is that if I could see where the default voltage was in the BIOS, or the way that it responds to what the CPU says it needs, I could change the value it would go to. So far, it looks like it might be in the ACPI ("(Advanced Configuration and Power Interface") module.

-SEAL

I was building the system and installing XP on to my hard drive...nothing concerning your bios or any flashing.

infin|ty said:
I was building the system and installing XP on to my hard drive...nothing concerning your bios or any flashing.

Ah... my bad. I haven't had much sleep in the past two days, so I'm operating at a little below 100% right now ;) How's the build going for you? Did you get it worked out?

-SEAL

SEALTeamSix said:
Getting closer, but still not there:

Here are some new links to follow, if you're up for trying to help:

http://www.geocities.com/mamanzip/Articles/AdvancedBiosModGuide/Advanced_Bios_Hacking.html

http://www.wimsbios.com/

-SEAL
Dude, i'll admit that i tried to read(learn!) but this stuff is new to me, and thus atm, over my head. Tommorow i'll have 3/4 of the day to assemble and experiment. I'll try a couple of bios's and i'm eager to find a low cost SPDIF alternative. I just have to find my Asus Nforce1 spdif bracket and i'll report any results here.

Perhaps we should start a new thread in the motherboard forum? We can reference this thread with links if need be. I already have a post in the HTPC forum (2nd page) but there would be a lot more help forthcoming in the mobo section.

OMG

You have no idea how much shit I had to go threw just to get this computer to work. I still cant figure out what happened but its working now. For some reason installation on WindowsXP was taking HOURS!!!! @ 2.4ghz. At first I thought it was the SATA controller, nope. Same thing happend on IDE. Then I tried a whole bunch of other stuff and didnt help. It my last ditch effort, I did 3 things at once. I replaced the Mobile chip with my 1800+, replaced the IDE cables and put the HD and CD-Rom on different channels, and THEN incase it was a PSU problem, I have this thing running on 2 different PSUs. I removed the pins out of my socket too.

Good news, i dont have to sell my raptor now. SATA works fine but my computer is all across my desk.

Even worse news, my thermaltake heatsink doesnt fit so I am using a smaller one. I'll post pics of how cramped it in and what it looked like once I get everything together. Ugh 1 day and 12hrs later to get this damn thing working.

Goodluck w/ the bios too! Seal you rock! I will try it once everything is stable

Award Utility crashed halfway threw the flash :eek:

Restarted utility and used old bios before i restarted computer, works...thank god

It said the file size was wrong before i started but i tried anyways and it failed.

Back to pinmod for me

LoL

It'll become the definitive [H] MN31N thread before i'm through! (sinister laugh)

Back