Better Performance- X2 or 2 Opterons?

Reading several benchmarks the Opterons single cores and dual cores flat out waste the X2's. The X2's aren't shabby but they aren't as good as the opteron or close enough to be a cheap version overclocked or not.

.::MAGE::. said:
Reading several benchmarks the Opterons single cores and dual cores flat out waste the X2's. The X2's aren't shabby but they aren't as good as the opteron or close enough to be a cheap version overclocked or not.

Which benchmarks are you referring to? A dual core Opteron is identical to an X2.

robberbaron said:
Which benchmarks are you referring to? A dual core Opteron is identical to an X2.

Techreport and a few others which I don't have links to since I am at work and my comp is powered down at home so I can't nab em :(.

The X2's benchmark wise did OK but the Opterons clearly performed better. I can't remember if it was the two single cores beating two dual cores or vice versa but the X2's did outdo the Xeons lol.

Techreport and a few others which I don't have links to since I am at work and my comp is powered down at home so I can't nab em :(.

The X2's benchmark wise did OK but the Opterons clearly performed better. I can't remember if it was the two single cores beating two dual cores or vice versa but the X2's did outdo the Xeons lol.

xeons blow.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q2/opteron-x75/index.x?pg=1

googled one but if I remember when I get home in 3 hours or so I will link the others.

That review doesnt even contain an X2, so how does the Opteron 'flat out waste' the X2, when its not even on there?

Infact, this is the review you want to look at.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q2/athlon64-x2/index.x?pg=5

This contains the X2 and dual opterons. The two CPUs you wnat to look at here are the Athlon 64 X2 4200+ and the Dual Opteron 248. Both have two processors, but the Opteron has double the cache of the X2 and both have the same clock speed.

Now maybe its just me, but that 4200+ seems to be wasting those Opterons pretty good in those benchmarks and it has half the cache too.

So unless your building some server of some sort and need an Opteron, then i'd get the X2 for sure.

Yea I wasn't dismissing the X2 as crap but then again opterons on a tailored motherboard for servers should perform better. What I read on opterons there are slight differences between X2 and Opteron but I would assume very similar and share exactly the same qualities and hardware to an extent much like a ford f150 and a lincoln navigator for example. Anyhow at work all I have are xeons and p4's so :p. I do wish I could take one of the EMC arrays home though.

Yes Xeons are crap hehe.

Yea I wasn't dismissing the X2 as crap but then again opterons on a tailored motherboard for servers should perform better
the two are identical for all practical purposes. the real difference we see here is the efficiency of a dual core platform vs a dual cpu platform. way less latency between cpu's.. though when it comes to bandwidth and memory happy apps, dual cpu will win because of NUMA ;)

Isn't the ECC RAM going to take a performance hit on the Opterons?

You are misinformed.....

(cf)Eclipse said:
the two are identical for all practical purposes. the real difference we see here is the efficiency of a dual core platform vs a dual cpu platform. way less latency between cpu's.. though when it comes to bandwidth and memory happy apps, dual cpu will win because of NUMA ;)
id be happy with either if anyone wants to send one my way

Back