Better video card = better folding?

I read this on the Stanford website under the faq section:

Q. Will extra 3D hardware help make the screen saver go faster?

A. 3D acceleration cards will make some difference for complex proteins

Does this mean that having a fast video card will make your pc fold harder? If so, I've been missing out because some of my naked boxen dont even have a video card installed.
(I use vnc)

I think they mean for the graphical client... I only use the console which doesn't display anything at all, so a 2MB PCI card will cut it for me (or integrated)....

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

The video card will not fold, it will just take some of the work off of the processor that would be drawing the proteins on your screen (in the case of the graphical client), otherwise the graphics card will not help.

-MN Scout

MN Scout said:
The video card will not fold, it will just take some of the work off of the processor that would be drawing the proteins on your screen (in the case of the graphical client), otherwise the graphics card will not help.

-MN Scout

So if you run the graphical client, what are the minimum specs required for a vid card to take the protein draw load from the cpu?

OSUguy98 said:
I think they mean for the graphical client... I only use the console which doesn't display anything at all, so a 2MB PCI card will cut it for me (or integrated)....

Is there a benefit to using the console over the graphical version? i.e. faster?

chileman said:
For me it was a 10-15% boost in production.

So, can I kill the graphical client(5.03), and instal the console only version(5.02) and have it pick up the prograss of the protein I'm currently folding? Or should I let the current WU finish and then start the next WU with the new client.

I would let the current WU finish... safer that way

Just install the console version, make it a service if you're running windows... and call it a day... if you feel the need to monitor the service, use EMIII or one of the other monitoring programs in the stickies... EMIII is a favorite among alot of us... It will monitor as many clients as you'll ever have/need....

As for the console vs graphical thing... most of us have found the console to be more reliable/stable... and tweakable... (options to run as a service, get big packet protiens,etc,etc)... and it's easily hid from the prying eyes of those who don't know enough, but know just enough....

Electric Boogaloo said:
How does one make it a service?

Did you get this going? I want to see how yours works because the system I run the console version on will lose the current WU its processing if I reboot the pc. If I install a windows update or a program that requires reboot I have to start over on the current WU.

My other 2 systems run the graphical version and can be rebooted anytime
without loss of the WU. It will simply start where it left off.

Aratech said:
.....I want to see how yours works because the system I run the console version on will lose the current WU its processing if I reboot the pc. If I install a windows update or a program that requires reboot I have to start over on the current WU.......

Where did you install the client? does it have it's own folding/directory?

OSUguy98 said:
Where did you install the client? does it have it's own folding/directory?

I'm not really sure. I will have to check. I uninstalled the graphical version,then downloaded and installed the console version. I used whatever directory it defaults to. Does it need to be installed in a particular place?

It creates what it needs in the directory the exe is run from.... be it your desktop,etc,etc,etc,etc....

Back