Better way to monitor CPU temps??

GrimR

Limp Gawd
O.K., I've had my ABIT IC7 MAX3 board for about three weeks now and the CPU temp issue is beginning to bug me. I really would like an accurate CPU temp reading since it seems that all the P4 ABIT boards read 8-10C higher.

My 2.8C is currently cooled by a Koolance EXOS unit. With my old air cooled system I just driled a hole in the middle of my HS and put a thermal probe in there.

In a brilliant stoke of n00bishness I tried to place a probe between the waterblock and the P4.:rolleyes: Thank god for thermal protection.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get better readings.

I do have a a couple of extra LianLi probes lying around.

Thanks in advance.

solder a small copper tube to the top of the block and slide the probe into the tube. I seen it on an OEM HS somewhere just can't think where. Or super glue the probe to the side of the block, although superglue isn't the best conductor of heat.

Do you know how close the reading would be to the actual CPU temp? Since the block is kinda large, the probe would sit about 1/2 inch away from the chip.

I do have some Artic Silver epoxy lying around. Probably would be better than superglue.

How about drilling a small (just large enough for the probe) through the top of the block. Stick the probe through there so it sits right on top of the CPU area and then epoxy the hole to prevent leakage.:confused:

I know on my old XP2500 I stuck the probe between the cpu and the socket I haven't tried it on my P4 yet though.

I've heard of someone being brave and getting a probe under or through the socket by modification so you can get your senser propped up against the underside of the cpu, which should give very accurate temps.

I'm a little hesitant to try that with a $170 motherboard:(

I think I'll try to epoxy it to the block as close to the CPU as possible.

I'm sure this has been asked but is Artic Silver epoxy electrically conductive? Just in case I get some on the board.

Back