BF2 Demo fails to start :-<

busta_cap

Limp Gawd
Downloaded the demo with TrueDownloader in like 14 minutes (thanx for the tip, Ace!) and installed the game just fine, including the DX9c update and the included latest NVidia drivers. Whenever I try to run it, the full screen goes black, then it pops back to about an 800x600 black "window" in the upper left of the screen, then it drops back to the desktop.

Check Task Manager and nothing's running in Applications and seemingly nothing new in Processes. The only other game I have any crashing problems with at all are Chronicles of Riddick, which crashes to the desktop about every hour or so ... usually when I'm going into a menu ingame. Doom3 +RoE, HL2, NBA Live 2005, Far Cry, all these run flawlessly with nary a hiccup.

EA says the game isn't recommended for earlier drivers than the ones they bundled (GPU=BFG 6800 OC w 128mb; rest of setup in sig).

Any ideas?

i have the same problems ... winxp pro sp2 with all updates, also installed the dx9c updates, radeon 9800 pro with latest drivers...

try this

Edit your VideoDefault.con file in
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2 Demo\mods\bf2\Settings

change

renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 0

to

renderer.allowAllRefreshRates 1

it didn't work for me tho :(

I set my 800x600 to 60hz in my refresh rate locker program. This solved the problem.

Same problem here I guess this is a way to make me upgrade my hardware from my TI4600. Oh well i guess I just have to bite the bullet.

KM

The problem is to do with your resolution... or at least it is for me. This is the error I get, which I only saw once I turned on windowed mode.

Debug assertion failed!
Version 1.0.2446.12 Build dat: 2005-6-7 15:24
Module:RendDX9
File: c:\dice\Projects\BF2Branches\BF2Demo\Code\BF2\RendDX9\VideoOptions.cpp
Line:234
Text: Unknown DyncamicOption value 1024x768

I am most likely getting this error because I play on a widescreen projector that does not support 1024x768.... only 1280x720 and 800x600.

I'm not sure if there is a way around this... but if I could edit the videooptions.cpp file its referencing and changed the value I'm sure that would fix it.

plink said:
The problem is to do with your resolution... or at least it is for me. This is the error I get, which I only saw once I turned on windowed mode.

Debug assertion failed!
Version 1.0.2446.12 Build dat: 2005-6-7 15:24
Module:RendDX9
File: c:\dice\Projects\BF2Branches\BF2Demo\Code\BF2\RendDX9\VideoOptions.cpp
Line:234
Text: Unknown DyncamicOption value 1024x768

I am most likely getting this error because I play on a widescreen projector that does not support 1024x768.... only 1280x720 and 800x600.

I'm not sure if there is a way around this... but if I could edit the videooptions.cpp file its referencing and changed the value I'm sure that would fix it.

i get a similar error and crashes to desktop, running PC in my signature, desktop set to 1280 X 960 85Hz, i did the drivers on the demo and the direct X update as well.

i wonder if installing the demo on a different hard drive other than C-drive has anything to do with it ?

even reinstalled the demo and made sure the allow refresh rate was set to 1 in the config file.

i get this error when i set the shortcut to run in a window....
bf2ctd1.2.jpg

I was able to get around it by forcing my projector to fake a 1024x768. What I really want them to do is support widescreen and then let you set your gfx options before you even load the game. That would completely fix the problem.

Any idea if the FINAL version of BF2 will support my Geforce4? (I refuse to upgrade... no $$$ right now) I have this problem and its annoying me...

the thing i did to get it running for me was totally disable reforce and put it all back to "normal"...

I am surprised no one posted this yet.

Here is the solution to some people's BLACK SCREEN-> DESKTOP crash.

----------------------

It has to do with monitor refresh rates and bigger/LCD monitors. I had the black screen problem and this worked for me too.

.....My Documents\Battlefield 2 Demo\Profiles\Default\Video.con

OPEN WITH NOTEPAD

Locate this line VideoSettings.setResolution 1024x768@70Hz (yours might be a different resolution, I think 800x600 which is why it isn't working... anyways change the resolution and refresh rate to one your monitor can handle.

If it IS showing 800x600 in your file when you first open it, try the 1024 first before trying others.

BY THE WAY, I THINK 1280x1024 is NOT supported by the BF2 Demo (isn't in the video options, 1280x960 is the max res.) so just saying this incase you try 1280x1024 and it doesn't work. Try 1024 first! (edit : just tried 1280x1024 which is my native and would look helluva lot better and BF2 just simply crashed :confused: so I'm 99% sure you can't use 1280x1024)

I have a SB Live 5.1 card and after 3 days doing everthing short of reformatting, I reluctantly tried my onboard sound(Realtek 6-channel AC97) and walla. No crashing, lagging, skipping or blue screens. Try using onbaord sound and see if it works. It might very well be a Creative problem. It's happened in the past with VIA based boards.

I finally solved my problem.

My problem started out with the missing 25.dll thing. So I got that off a friend but then it was crashing with no error mesage. After 3 days of trying every fix everyone came up with I did this:

This is a directx problem. Sorry for letting the uninformed people leading you around in a circle.

But if you want to fix this you need to install this http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...4D-CD35-40C4-91A5-AA0E27C8F410&displaylang=en

and if you get an installed failed do this

To resolve this behavior, re-register the Softpub.dll, Wintrust.dll, Initpki.dll, Dssenh.dll, Rsaenh.dll, Gpkcsp.dll, Sccbase.dll, Slbcsp.dll, Mssip32.dll, and Cryptdlg.dll files. To do so, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
3. At the command prompt, type regsvr32 softpub.dll, and then press ENTER.
4. Click OK when you receive the message that DllRegisterServer in Softpub.dll succeeded.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 for the following files: Wintrust.dll, Initpki.dll, Dssenh.dll, Rsaenh.dll, Gpkcsp.dll, Sccbase.dll, Slbcsp.dll, Mssip32.dll, and Cryptdlg.dll.
6. Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Command Prompt.

or you might want to download this
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...C4-6478-46C1-BBD9-1BF9FCCE52F4&displaylang=en

Now this didnt work for me but I then uninstalled Service Pack 2 and now the game runs fine.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Back