BF3 compared to PS2

Bf3 unlock system and ranking system sucked. It was designed to please the masses an appeal to the cod crowd who all want instant gratification. You unlock weapons way to fast an ranks stupidly fast. i liked bf2's pacing. hell i had more points in 6 hours than i got in the 900 or so hours of
bf2. if you make things harder to achieve then people will play longer, since there is always something to work towards. this is, i think, where planetside 2 did it right. though i think they made it a little to easy.

I agree the BF3 unlock system was...meh. I'm not a masochist, but I don't want things given to me either.

I love PS2. But anyone that says the teamwork is nothing but 90% zerg in most battles is kidding themselves.

Major bugs that have been mentioned, like players just disappearing is a real problem. The sound in this game is garbage. That includes the VOIP.

They absolutely need to get a legit squad system. Spawn beacons suck even after upgrading em. Smoke sucks to use, and you can't use it real time. Must use it on the main map. Giving orders does jack and shit for exp. They have a LOT to work out in game.

BUT, all that, PS2 is just fun. It feels more epic than BF3. Obviously this is due to the sheer size. Also when you do happen to get a non zerg 300 man coordinated effort, it's a work of art.

Bf3 unlock system and ranking system sucked. It was designed to please the masses an appeal to the cod crowd who all want instant gratification. You unlock weapons way to fast an ranks stupidly fast.

you are correct sir. BF3 = BF2 square shoved into a COD round hole for the ADHD kids and mountain dew suckers. And now that this years annualized COD copy-paste game has sold more copies than ever and further validated and incentivized this style and mentality of mass consumption game marketing, and when also factoring MOH:warfighter failed devastatingly and now its EA that wants instant gratification when BF4 hits next year, I fear BF4 will only get worse, hope I'm wrong but wouldn't be surprised if when it rolls around we aren't all calling BF3 a classic by comparison.

Its for these reasons I really hope PS2 continues growing and improving, because the idea of a future with CODs and clones annualized like Madden continuing to be considered the high watermark in so-called AAA games is a future that is slowly turning black. In fairness to the hundreds of millions buying consoles in droves though I wonder if we arent just experiencing what boils down to a generational shift happening in gaming. Granted, kids have always played videogames and consoles have been around for decades but games have historically gotten more sophisticated and elaborate whereas this point in time feels more like things are intentionally being developed and marketed with the goal of becoming dumber, or more dumbed down. The "Michael Bay Effect"..

or... Its just all in my head.

Last edited:
Again I like both BF3 and PS2 equally, they just different from each other, and I enjoy playing both.

BF3 amazes me with how smooth and fast it runs on my system, for being DirectX11 and Ultra graphic settings, the game looks great, and the sound effects are the best I have ever heard for a game, bullets wizzing by in front to rear speakers, and planes sound like they are right over my head flying by. BF3 never once feels choppy or laggy, never.

PS2 does feel choppy at times, but I am hopeful these issues will be ironed out soon. I do love the dusk to night setting, PS2 at night looks way better than the BF3 night maps, the BF3 night map seems lame, and weapon fire doesn't light up the map like it does in PS2. Weird for BF3 being Dx11 and PS2 Dx9, the night time effects look so much better on PS2.

I read that PS2 will have a major patch out soon, that requires a full download and fresh install from scratch, with tons of bug patches and fixes. Not sure when that is expected ?

I heard one complaint on the PS2 graphics engine, with more players on screen, the engine scales down the view distance ? Guys would be sniping away at a far range, then when 100 more players showed up, the engine scales back the view distance, and you couldn't snipe those same people anymore, because they disappeared off the screen, due to distance being scaled back ?

If that's the case, that also means they can't snipe you then.

Eh I am going to uninstall ps2 from steam now and wait for the big patch. I just can't play the game as is but sure as hell hope it comes out awesome. I am down with throwing some $$ to a good product and I believe in this game.

Loving PS2 much more than BF3. The strategies of such a big map makes the game for me.

Graphically PS2 has a lot more work to do. A few weeks old game can't be compared to BF3 yet.

If you make things harder to achieve then people will play longer, since there is always something to work towards. this is, i think, where planetside 2 did it right. though i think they made it a little to easy.

This is why I can't complain about how long it takes to unlock things in PS2. It makes the unlocks feel more rewarding, and it makes the bonus experience weekends (such as what we just had) that much more worth playing through. And I agree, it helps the game in the long term because players will stick around longer, and those who won't probably weren't going to to begin with.

I also agree that you can't compare BF3 to PS2. I'd BF4 vs PS2 will be a more fair comparison. PS2 will be polished up by the time BF4 arrives, and I'm sure BF4 will be pretty nicely optimized right from the start now that they have BF3 to build off of.

BF3 is brilliant in terms of visual and audio. The audio of BF3 will not be outdone any time soon by any game.

Planetside 2 doesn't have much in terms of audio, but it still looks good, specially during the night.

To me, Planetside has something I enjoy more than the audio/visuals of BF3 and that is scale. 150vs150 fights are what makes Planetside so special.

To me, Planetside has something I enjoy more than the audio/visuals of BF3 and that is scale. 150vs150 fights are what makes Planetside so special.

To me Planet side is a great team work. Just take your time and find talking squad that follows the orders. There is always at least one available. You will have a blast, garanteed.

I'm yet to try to be a squad leader. I'm too lazy though because it requires quite a bit of coordination, creativity and knowledge about PS2 features.

It is still unclear to me how to destroy the generators? I can compromize them by pressing E but what next? Shal I shoot them with a gun to explode them or what?

Well last night I played some PS2 for an hour or so and after I finished some homework played BF3 for a few hours. BF3 is just so much better. The feel of the game is so great. Even after the nerf the UMP45 is a fucking wrecking machine! I just feel the gun play is so much more solid. Maybe its the sound, maybe its because I'm pretty good at CQ. Maybe it's the real guns. Maybe its how in PS2 there are always 20 guys around the corner that I turn and I have to run for 2 minutes to get back to where I was for there now to be only 15 guys there. Don't get me wrong, I like PS2, but its just not as fun for me as bf3

Now do you enable "Ultra" Textures ? In-game settings just show Highest as best.

I am at work, but I believe this is the setting:

in the UserOption.ini
TextureQuality=0

If you do it correctly, texture quality will be set to blank ingame.

....So why not let people just change it to Ultra in the first place?

I am at work, but I believe this is the setting:

in the UserOption.ini
TextureQuality=0

If you do it correctly, texture quality will be set to blank ingame.

I've read that this needs to be done every time after you open the launcher because it overwrites the file again. Can you confirm this?

·PitBuLL·;1039412300 said:
I've read that this needs to be done every time after you open the launcher because it overwrites the file again. Can you confirm this?

I haven't had to modify it since I originally set it. Developers stated that Ultra quality is not as stable as they want it to be so they have removed it for now. I have personally had no stability issues with textures on Ultra so far.

Thanks for the comparisons. Although to be honest, I don't see much of a difference. I must not have an eye for this.

·PitBuLL·;1039412494 said:
Thanks for the comparisons. Although to be honest, I don't see much of a difference. I must not have an eye for this.

The ultra one has a tank in! :D

There isn't really much difference it would seem. Other than the computer display being sharper, but other than that it's barely noticable...

The vehicle textures are pretty good on High, so there are subtle differences that can be seen with the last 2 screenshots (and you have to look for them other than the ground).

However, the largest difference screenshot is the 2nd one (though the 3rd is very noticeable as well).

Look at the flooring, the wall behind the console and the console itself.

You can actually see a pattern on the ground, the wall textures are much sharper, the console itself is night and day different.

Back