BFG 6800 GT or Ultra

Suntar

Limp Gawd
What should I do, I was planning on buying the BFG 6800 Ultra OC WC, that comes stock with clock speeds at 470, and it comes with an attached water block for my water cooling system. But i just read how you cant OC a GT to Ultra speeds with ease. What do you guys think i should do?

Plus, would it in any way, shape, or fourm, void the warranty to OC the BFG cards, even though they come pre OC, with a life time behind it?

And will a Danger Den Maze 4 GPU Water Block fit a 6800?

Thanks

You won't get a GT to 470. It will likely clock to over 400 at least.

Sounds like you're pretty [H]ard-core into overclocking. But remember, part of the joy of overclocking is getting more for your money. In, that respect, OCing a GT to 420+ is more bang for the buck (in my humble opinion), than paying top dollar for a pre-OCed ultra.

Of course, there's no guarantee that you will get a good OC from a GT. But the vast majority are seeing at least 400 (ultra speeds). I've only seen a few reports of duds that don't even reach 400.

Best Regards,

H

Also keep in mind that even if overclocking doesn't void your warrantee (not sure how BFG works) removing the stock heatsink/fan will. (so no maze on a GT without voiding the warantee)

==>Lazn

Hurin said:
But remember, part of the joy of overclocking is getting more for your money.
That's true to a point, but if you have the money, then you'll be wondering how many extra frames you could have gotten if you had bought the higher end card.
Reading some reviews, the OC cards OC a little, but they are already there. And I agree, the GT won't go as fast as the Ultra OC. It doesn't have the same memory. The GT can OC to a standard Ultra, but not much more. It's just like the Ti4400 days of the past.

If you're already have a water cooling system, then spend the extra money and go for the Ultra OC, and then you won't 2nd guess yourself.

Suntar said:
What should I do, I was planning on buying the BFG 6800 Ultra OC WC, that comes stock with clock speeds at 470, and it comes with an attached water block for my water cooling system. But i just read how you cant OC a GT to Ultra speeds with ease. What do you guys think i should do?

The BFG 6800GT is rated at 370/1000, and its ram is 2.0ns (1000mhz). While many have had success overclocking it to 400/1100, there is certainly no guarantee that you'd be ablet to do so, and there is no way you are going to get to 470mhz with only one molex connector (The 6800 watercooled has two). If you want the fastest card, get the 6800 Ultra Watercooled, it will OC better than the GT. If you want the best value, get the 6800GT.

Plus, would it in any way, shape, or fourm, void the warranty to OC the BFG cards, even though they come pre OC, with a life time behind it?

If you OC a BFG past pre-OC'd stock speeds (370/1000 for the GT, 470/1100 for the U watercool), it voids the warranty.

Thanks guys for all your help. I guess I will go threw and get the Ultra OC WC. I agree with you guys, I dont want to regret loosing those extra frame rates :)

Ill let you guys know how it all works out once I get it up and running, Thanks!!!!!!

You will also have twin DVI output with Ultra unlike D-sub + DVI on GT. So if you plan on runnig two lcd's it's another point for ultra:)

Back